Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Rained out:

The Test n Tune was cancelled due to rain at Fontana. I really wanted to run my car today, but it started raining Friday. My Camry has been running strong all day too, so I'm disappointed that the weather took a turn for the worst here in So Cal. The next chance I get to run my car is Wednesday March 28 or April 7th which is a Saturday. I'm going to have to wait about a month to see if my Camry will run a low 14 or high 13 second 1/4 mile. I remain hopeful that I've done enough low-budget mods to see the 2GR-FE Camry have a solid showing at Fontana.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Here are a couple photos of the throttle body that came from a 2008 Sienna. I did a small amount of porting to get rid of the raised area right before the throttle plate. The car feels very strong and pulls throughout the rpm range. April 7th or 8th I'll head to Fontana Autoclub to see what the Camry can run.

To date the fastest run at Fontana was a 14.41 @ 97.39 mph with a 2.33 60 foot time. I'm trying to find every last bit of power that this 2GR-FE V6 can give and that includes doing research on Honda forums. The Honda guys seem willing to port intake manifolds, port throttle bodies, and run without cats. With those mods and no headwork some guys are running mid 13s in their Accords. I'm in California so I can't get rid of my precats, but if I can't help myself I may end up porting the intake somewhere down the line :D we'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've sort of played with the idea of going with a true 2 pipe down from each header and getting rid of the y pipe? or whatever it is from the headers to the exhaust. Seems like there is room?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've sort of played with the idea of going with a true 2 pipe down from each header and getting rid of the y pipe? or whatever it is from the headers to the exhaust. Seems like there is room?
There is room under the car. You just need to find a shop that is willing to do the work. I went to a shop in Compton, but the guy only wanted to do a 2.5" single pipe for $200. A couple days later I found a shop in Long Beach and told the shop owner that I had already been to a shop that would only do a single pipe and that wouldn't cut it for me. I still had to compromise since I asked for 2.25" pipe and the shop owner installed 2 inch pipes. The car runs strong with the custom exhaust and that is the mod that got the Camry into the 14s.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Lower Intake Manifold:

In pursuit of ever more power and a quicker 1/4 mile time, I got a lower intake manifold off Ebay for $38. The next Test n Tune will be April 7-8 which gives me time to port match to the intake gasket. I have a Black and Decker rotary tool to grind away the excess metal and any rough casting areas and that will be done over the next few weeks. I want to improve air flow as much as possible, so I will slowly work on porting the intake manifold until I feel I've opened the ports as much I safely can.

For anyone reading this, I am doing everything I can to ensure the 2GR-FE V6 Camry puts as much power to the wheels as it can without doing work to the cylinder heads. Intake and exhaust :D is the way to go.

EDIT:
I traced the pattern of the lower intake gaskets onto the lower intake manifold. There is quite a bit of material that can be removed from the manifold. I've added a few pics to give anyone that wants to do this an idea of how I am doing the porting/gasket matching on the lower intake. The newest date I can take my car to Fontana will be March 28 since I will have days off that week.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Intake Manifold:

It took about 2 hours to remove the original intake manifold and install the ported intake manifold. The car ran rough at first because I forgot to connect the plug that goes on the upper intake plenum on the passenger's side. Once I connected the plug the car ran smooth. I drove it around my block a few times then I went on the highway. The Camry pulls much harder with the ported intake manifold from about 4k rpm to 6k rpm. I know I gained some whp, and I'm hopeful that the extra power at the wheels will result in a 13 second 1/4 mile this March 28 at Fontana.

I've attached a couple photos of the ports from the heads. The ports have a lot of carbon build up, so I cleaned some of the carbon off the ports. I also kept the old gaskets in case I want to port anymore lower intake manifolds.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
March Track Day:

I could not match my previous best time. I ran consistent 14.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile for a few runs. Not long after I installed the port matched lower intake manifold my car was throwing codes left and right. The car was throwing codes for the past few days and didn't run strong like it usually does. At the very end of the night I ran a 14.6 followed by a 14.7, so the car was tired at that point.

Today I installed a new O2 sensor since the code that consistently popped up was sensor stuck lean and P2241. Car runs strong again after a few days of throwing codes every so often. I'll have another chance to run a new best time April 7th or 8th; that will be in the morning. Next time.

I was happy with my work on the lower intake manifold. However, the O2 sensor went out at a bad time.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good luck with fixing the stuck lean code. I'm in California so I can't use headers. Stayed with the stock exhaust manifolds and so far so good. In the morning and at night I can feel that power I was expecting from porting the lower intake manifold. I did not post a step by step procedure, but if anyone has questions I'll answer them :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Track day April 8th so I've taken out the bottom section of the back seat. I didn't figure out how to remove the upper section of the backseat so it will stay in. The Camry feels strong today. I'm hoping that translates to a new best at the track. I'll run once or twice at Fontana and then drive back home. Plus I changed the oil last week, just took some air out of my front tires, and cleaned the throttle body.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Track Update:

It was about 61 F at Fontana this morning. I was one of the first cars to run and I got a 2.238 60ft which is one of my best times for 60 feet. The 2.2 60 ft is leaving just a bit off idle say about 750 rpm, so I'm having to make up time at the top end. My best 1/8th of 9.28 @ 78.1 mph came on this run. Once I got my time slip I saw 14.313 @ 97.1 mph. Better tires, a ported lower intake manifold, and no lower back seat got me .10 in the 1/4 mile. I'm very happy because now I'm in the low 14 second club. I don't have anymore plans for mods or to run the car again for a while. I think I can be happy the way the car runs right now.

EDIT:

On the way home from work I thought about squeezing out a few more 10ths to run a high 13. During the summer when I have more days off I might take out the entire back seat, the front passenger seat, take out the back speakers, carpeting in the trunk, and anything else that can later be put back into place. I've thought of a muffler delete, since the 2 mufflers are heavy, but I'm not sure about that at the moment. Anyway my car is very fun drive on the street and at the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Beast67,

Have you done a ECU tune on your car? You might want to reach out to R9K Tuned. He did my tune for my camry. Made a difference. My best time is 13.96 at 102.23 mph.
Nice! That's 5 mph faster than my best. I had thought about a tune, but I'm pretty happy with a 14.3 at 97 mph. I might run my Camry every once in a long while, but the car is fun to drive the way it is now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great thread you have here. Sounds like you are very happy with your car, and thats whats really counts! That 2gr-fe still has a lot in it, if you ever want to take it farther.

Curious, are you still running the port and polished lower intake manifold? thats a cheap mod i might try, if you ever stopped throwing codes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Great thread you have here. Sounds like you are very happy with your car, and thats whats really counts! That 2gr-fe still has a lot in it, if you ever want to take it farther.

Curious, are you still running the port and polished lower intake manifold? thats a cheap mod i might try, if you ever stopped throwing codes.
Yes, I still have it on the car. It still throws codes so I'm going to take it off after I run maybe once more during the winter. I need it to pass smog. Car has so much power on cool nights :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the idea of port and polishing the lower manifold!

I was a little skeptical at first because the piece is only 4-5 inches of the intake, but after removing the stock part, I see how this could help a bit. Mind you, I just changed the plugs too, but the car seems to come on a bit quicker when I hit the gas. Almost reminds me of when I had my K&N short ram intake, it didn't make as much power as the CAI, but thanks to that short straight intake tube, the power came on quick. I paid $35 for the manifold off of ebay, and the sanding wheels on the Drimmel works great for removing material. After that, bought a $10 progressive sanding pack (220, 400, 800, 1000 grits i think) from the auto store and wet-sanded it by hand. This really was a cheap mod, that would be at least as effective as P'n'P throttle body, but I'm guessing more.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the idea of port and polishing the lower manifold!

I was a little skeptical at first because the piece is only 4-5 inches of the intake, but after removing the stock part, I see how this could help a bit. Mind you, I just changed the plugs too, but the car seems to come on a bit quicker when I hit the gas. Almost reminds me of when I had my K&N short ram intake, it didn't make as much power as the CAI, but thanks to that short straight intake tube, the power came on quick. I paid $35 for the manifold off of ebay, and the sanding wheels on the Drimmel works great for removing material. After that, bought a $10 progressive sanding pack (220, 400, 800, 1000 grits i think) from the auto store and wet-sanded it by hand. This really was a cheap mod, that would be at least as effective as P'n'P throttle body, but I'm guessing more.
It looks like you really spent some time on the lower intake manifold. I'm glad it made a difference. While I was searching for every bit of extra power I was going to v6performance.net because Honda guys go to the extremes on their cars. Porting manifold, swapping heads, swapping transmissions, etc so I gave it a try. I ran the 14.3 in April so maybe in November I can run a 14.2 or a 14.1 at Fontana.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update:

I did not go back to the track since it never really got cold during the time the track was open. However, the Camry is reliable and fun to drive with plenty of horsepower and torque. I now have an old Chevy Nova that I am making my weekend warrior, so the Camry is my fun daily driver.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts