Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Matrix Mid Mount 2GR 6 SPD.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,
I’m in the process of shoehorning a 2GR with an EB60 into the trunk of a Matrix. My only regret is that I didn’t start with an XRS. I managed to get my hands on two rear suspension assemblies from an AWD and the tC FWD axles slide right in, sans ABS ring. I have most of the items I need and I’m working on wiring now.

My question: currently I’m trying to find AWD suspension brackets for the body and I’m about to head to the wreckers with a sawzall… BUT is it possible to order these? It is a mounting point for the area circled in red.

There are a few other small challenges to overcome and this place looks like the best spot to get Toyota advice. Much appreciated!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,400 Posts
Good day all,
I’m in the process of shoehorning a 2GR with an EB60 into the trunk of a Matrix. My only regret is that I didn’t start with an XRS. I managed to get my hands on two rear suspension assemblies from an AWD and the tC FWD axles slide right in, sans ABS ring. I have most of the items I need and I’m working on wiring now.

My question: currently I’m trying to find AWD suspension brackets for the body and I’m about to head to the wreckers with a sawzall… BUT is it possible to order these? It is a mounting point for the area circled in red.

There are a few other small challenges to overcome and this place looks like the best spot to get Toyota advice. Much appreciated!

View attachment 333782 View attachment 333783 View attachment 333784
Try lkq/keystone or car-part.com.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,386 Posts
From my understanding, either the provisions for that mounting point on a torsion beam car are there but need to be drilled out or they are missing and need to be welded on. On body diagrams, the mounting point is not listed as a specific part but instead, it's apart of the floor pan.

Also, that's a unique project you have going on there. How do you plan on mounting the engine? Over the top, inline with the rear suspension or further forward of the rear suspension, closer to where the rear seats should be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my understanding, either the provisions for that mounting point on a torsion beam car are there but need to be drilled out or they are missing and need to be welded on. On body diagrams, the mounting point is not listed as a specific part but instead, it's apart of the floor pan.

Also, that's a unique project you have going on there. How do you plan on mounting the engine? Over the top, inline with the rear suspension or further forward of the rear suspension, closer to where the rear seats should be?
Yes to your opening statement. I didn’t realize they were part of the floor pan though. I tried to find the item as a Toyota part so I could order one for each side. Wrecking yards haven’t been helpful so far as they want you to buy the entire rear clip for $600, and ironically won’t guarantee they won’t cut through the mounts themselves when they chop it.

The plan is to hang the engine from some reinforced areas ahead of the rear strut towers. Preference will be given to CV angles but I think the weight will mostly end up forward of the rear arches. I have most of the wiring laid out in diagrams and everything seems to be coming together. Shift cables are next.

I wanted a sleeper that was unique and most definitely unsuspecting… mission accomplished I think.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Awesome, can’t wait to see progress on this build....
Have you thought about leaving all the stock AC, heat, accessories motor assembly(original front motor) AND run a lightened/stripped rear motor? Curious is all.
I want to know how possible it is to swap a Matrix AWD into a corolla.. which never got AWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, can’t wait to see progress on this build....
Have you thought about leaving all the stock AC, heat, accessories motor assembly(original front motor) AND run a lightened/stripped rear motor? Curious is all.
I want to know how possible it is to swap a Matrix AWD into a corolla.. which never got AWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting idea, but not this time. The engine is already out. Had to make room for the fuel tank ;)

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,386 Posts
Yes to your opening statement. I didn’t realize they were part of the floor pan though. I tried to find the item as a Toyota part so I could order one for each side. Wrecking yards haven’t been helpful so far as they want you to buy the entire rear clip for $600, and ironically won’t guarantee they won’t cut through the mounts themselves when they chop it.

The plan is to hang the engine from some reinforced areas ahead of the rear strut towers. Preference will be given to CV angles but I think the weight will mostly end up forward of the rear arches. I have most of the wiring laid out in diagrams and everything seems to be coming together. Shift cables are next.

I wanted a sleeper that was unique and most definitely unsuspecting… mission accomplished I think.
Will definitely be looking forward to seeing the progress you make. Are you located in Southern Ontario by any chance? All the wrecking yards here have a similar policy with not letting people cut out "custom" bits off floor pans and frames and such. They'll force you to get a halfcut even if you just need a quarter panel!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I found the answer to my current hurdle and took action! Long story short, Toyota blessed us with their ‘MC Platform’ and I found a donor vehicle that will provide the needed bits and pieces to get the rear suspension sorted out. I took the sawzall to a 2004 Celica today and the rear clip will come home tomorrow. I ordered my lightweight flywheel and the engine is nearly ready to go. EB60 is being rebuilt and should be ready soon. More to come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts