Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
The bell housing should bolt up. You would need a 2JZ flywheel, ?custom trans mount?, and a custom drive shaft. I'm not sure if the bellhousing will clear the fire wall, or if the shifter will line up with the hole.

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
You'll also need to figure out how you're going to drive the speedometer (6-speed is electric, MKIII is mechanical), and also the 6-speed rear end is a 3.27 and the MK3's have 3.73 or 3.91's, so first gear will be pretty useless. The 3.27 doesn't bolt in to the MK3 housing either. The shifter is 4" too far back as well, so that will have to be modified.

In summary: it's possible, but not easy or really worthwhile without a different differential, especially when you consider what a Getrag v160 fetches these days. What I'd like to see is a bellhousing for a Tremec T-56. You can get a NEW one for half of what a used v160 will run you.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
I was thinking you could use the R154. The 1JZ and 2JZ are based on the same block, which means the bell housings should be compatible. You wouldn't need to worry about adapting the V160 to the MK III. The 1JZ and 2JZ flywheels use the same crank bolt pattern. So that solves the whole trans/clutch issues. Just use an R-154 mated to the 1JZ bell housing along with the 1JZ flywheel. The 1JZ uses the same clutch as the 7MGTE, so that makes finding a clutch easy.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
The R 154 and 1j bellhousing is the simple way to 2j the MKIII...if there is really such thing as simple. Firewall is still an issue with stock turbos.

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
I understood the original question as him wanting to keep his 1JZ and put a 6-speed behind it.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
mobes said:
I understood the original question as him wanting to keep his 1JZ and put a 6-speed behind it.
Yes, and if you read the posts above yours, that's what everyone is talking about. It's not quite as simple as just bolting it up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
bgrieger said:
The R 154 and 1j bellhousing is the simple way to 2j the MKIII...if there is really such thing as simple. Firewall is still an issue with stock turbos.
Stock jdm turbos are useless unless all you are using the car as a commuter anyways.

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
Jeeves said:
Yes, and if you read the posts above yours, that's what everyone is talking about. It's not quite as simple as just bolting it up.
Yeah, I know, as 'everyone' included me. If I'm not mistaken, I gave plenty of information pertinent to the original question. However, my point was that after my first post the advice seemed to change from "how to fit a v160 behind a 1JZ in a MK3" to "how to fit a 2JZ in a MK3" which wasn't what the question was. I'm just trying to help keep things on topic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts