Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I took my old exhaust manifold off, replaced the studs (the "two nut method" of removing old studs WORKS!), I have to replace the Ring pins which stick up into the air tube.

Problem is: These are NOT available. In the Toyota parts catalog, they're separate from the manifold. They were part number 9025313013. What is available is part number 9025313017 . Toyota's website says it would fit my car ('79 Celica). But it has other uses (oil pump, etc.) So, it's possible that the available part will "fit my car", but not for the purpose I need.

So, question: HOW can I remove the pin ring from the old manifold? I took a propane torch to it already (no luck). Photo attached. The ring is between the two threaded holes.
Manifold.jpg

BTW: I was curious as to the condition of the old exhaust gasket. It's not there! I still have the bill from the Toyota dealer who replaced the manifold 21 years ago, and a gasket was NOT listed.

·
One with the farce
3,065 Posts
You may want to take that to a local machine shop and ask them to remove it, and bring the mating pipe so they can see how it’s supposed to fit together. As for the gasket, yeah it definitely does need one and should’ve had one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may want to take that to a local machine shop and ask them to remove it, and bring the mating pipe so they can see how it’s supposed to fit together. As for the gasket, yeah it definitely does need one and should’ve had one.
I have the new gasket, as supplied from Toyheadauto, when I bought the manifold. I'm still shocked that a dealer , of all places would install the manifold without a gasket.
I'll give it one more try with a torch (I seemed to have pulled out one of those rings slightly- there are two), but a machine shop would probably make short work of it. Thanks for the suggestion of a machine shop.

·
One with the farce
3,065 Posts
That really is a surprise, but something to consider is that the actual person who installed the manifold either didn’t know or didn’t care...they’re just a person and we don’t know their reasoning. Either way, it’ll be done properly once you’ve finished with it. 👍
The machine shop suggestion was a no brainer for me since that’s what I do for a living.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That really is a surprise, but something to consider is that the actual person who installed the manifold either didn’t know or didn’t care...they’re just a person and we don’t know their reasoning. Either way, it’ll be done properly once you’ve finished with it. 👍
The machine shop suggestion was a no brainer for me since that’s what I do for a living.
There is an inner heat shield which mounts against the engine exhaust ports. Then, the gasket gets placed between the heat shield and the manifold. Maybe he thought that the heat shield serves as a gasket also?. That would be a stretch, however.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing the exhaust manifold?
Two HUGE cracks. I have to leave for work soon. I'll post pictures of the old manifold when I get back.
I was able to get suitable replacement parts for the ring pins. Not exactly as before, but with a rubber mallet, I was able to drive them in to the air injection pipe.
Manifold replacement is done. Car is much quieter now.

Now I'm looking to replace some rubber rings that mount the exhaust on the hangers. There is one ring that seems to be connected to nothing! (Two rings that should pull in opposite diections, but only one hanger? )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts