Toyota Nation Forum banner

2nd Gen Matrix 6 speed swap

1771 Views 16 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  SuperchargedMR2
Hi new to the site. I have a 2010 Matrix with the 2ZR-FE and 5 speed. The 5 speed is on its last legs and rather than replacing it with the same, I'm hoping to swap a 6 speed into it for some added performance. I just wanted to see what all is needed to do the swap so that I can get a parts list together and start gathering everything that's needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· 10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,481 Posts
Is your 5 speed grinding by any chance? If so, between which gears?

The two options of 6 speed manuals you can use are the C6X transmissions or the EC6X transmissions. the EC6X transmissions are what come in 11th gen Corolla's but I haven't seen anyone swap them into a 10th gen yet. The C6X's I've seen some people swap onto a 2ZR however, I'm not 100% sure if they bolt up.

Reactions: TrailTech85

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. My 5 speed is grinding between pretty much all 5 of them. The synchros are basically shot and the last few oil changes back that up with how sparkly it looked. I already knew it had issues when I got it. From what I understand, the c60 is the transmission I'm after. From all of the pictures I've looked at, the bolt pattern for the bell housing is identical between the 2ZR, 1ZZ and 2ZZ. I don't know much about the newer 6 speed you've mentioned or whether it would be a bolt on project.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
19,313 Posts
From what I know, the 10th gen uses only 5 speed transmissions. I don’t know if the c60 from the 9th gen corolla xrs will adapt or not.

What you should do is make a template of the bell housing and the engine and use it at the junkyard to find the one you need. The c60 is around, but not too many on the junkyards. Use row52 to locate a corolla xrs 2005-2006 or matrix xrs 2003-2008.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I sent a message to MWR to see if they might know details as far as parts compatibility and what parts I'll need to get it done properly. It is really difficult to find a C60 locally to me to measure etc unfortunately. At least so far it has. I will just keep trying to research this and hopefully one way or another I'll get this figured out. I'm hopeful it can be done. I just need to figure out the how. Thanks again.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh there's places to get the 5 speed rebuilt near me. I was referring to having a 6 speed transmission at a wrecker nearby for me to go measure.

I just got a reply from someone at Monkey Wrench Racing and they say it's not a possible swap. They don't say why buy I guess that's that.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
19,313 Posts
Oh there's places to get the 5 speed rebuilt near me. I was referring to having a 6 speed transmission at a wrecker nearby for me to go measure.

I just got a reply from someone at Monkey Wrench Racing and they say it's not a possible swap. They don't say why buy I guess that's that.
Toyota switched back to a 5 speed trans in the 10th gens. That’s very unfortunate. I’m sure it’s possible, but would require an adapter plate for a c60 trans to be used. Isn’t the 11th gen using 6 speed?

· 10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,481 Posts
Toyota switched back to a 5 speed trans in the 10th gens. That’s very unfortunate. I’m sure it’s possible, but would require an adapter plate for a c60 trans to be used. Isn’t the 11th gen using 6 speed?
The 11th gen uses the EC65 6 speed manual. Different transmission with different bellhousing.

It definitely is possible to swap a C60 on a 2ZR, however it's not a simple bolt-in swap. There are ways some people have gone about it whether it's implanting the guts of it into a compatible C series trans case but then you'll have to still figure out axles, shifter cables, etc.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
19,313 Posts
The 11th gen uses the EC65 6 speed manual. Different transmission with different bellhousing.

It definitely is possible to swap a C60 on a 2ZR, however it's not a simple bolt-in swap. There are ways some people have gone about it whether it's implanting the guts of it into a compatible C series trans case but then you'll have to still figure out axles, shifter cables, etc.
Possible donors could be the 2nd gen tc? That’s still a 5 speed correct? But then again, it’s mated to a 2az. Why Toyota decided to go away from a 6 speed for 1 gen is beyond me.

Op, I wish you the best of luck with figuring out this modification. Will it work? Who knows. Is there an adapter plate, maybe?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I might be looking at swapping out the 5 speed that's currently in the car with a known good replacement and selling it. I definitely want to get another Matrix but I'm not sure if I should get a 1st or 2nd gen. Either way it will be a 2ZZ-GE with the 6 speed or the 2AZ-FE with a 5 speed. Anyone with experience with either, I'd love to here your opinions on them both. Again, just want to thank everyone who's replied. It's much appreciated.

· 10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,481 Posts
Possible donors could be the 2nd gen tc? That’s still a 5 speed correct? But then again, it’s mated to a 2az. Why Toyota decided to go away from a 6 speed for 1 gen is beyond me.

Op, I wish you the best of luck with figuring out this modification. Will it work? Who knows. Is there an adapter plate, maybe?
2nd gen tC uses the EB60 which is a 6 speed manual, another different gearbox that's mostly used with the AR series engines. The 1st gen tC uses the E350 which is a 5 speed manual that's similar to the 10th gen Corolla XRS/ Matrix XRS E351 5 speed. It's also the 1st gen tC that uses the 2AZ, the 2nd gen had the 2AR.

As for why they switched from 6 speed to 5 speed, I believe it's because of the engines in the XRS's. The 2ZZ needs a 6 speed with shorter ratios to be utilized to it's max potential (a 2ZZ with a stock C59 would take very long to hit lift which is where it makes any power in the first place). Whereas, the 2AZ is a torquey motor so there's no real need to design a 6 speed for it when a 5 speed is enough to get it going.

Well I might be looking at swapping out the 5 speed that's currently in the car with a known good replacement and selling it. I definitely want to get another Matrix but I'm not sure if I should get a 1st or 2nd gen. Either way it will be a 2ZZ-GE with the 6 speed or the 2AZ-FE with a 5 speed. Anyone with experience with either, I'd love to here your opinions on them both. Again, just want to thank everyone who's replied. It's much appreciated.
I'll chime in since I've driven plenty of 2nd gen Matrix and Vibes as well as quite a few 1st gen M-XRS's. The 1st gen Matrix XRS is much more of a raw driving experience. Hitting lift never gets old and the short ratio 6 speed is great to row through (however, the lack of a LSD can be frustrating). I've considered buying a 1st gen Matrix XRS or 9th gen Corolla XRS many times before however there are a few things that turned me off of them. Things such as the 2ZZ requiring premium fuel can really suck if it is your daily driver and you are driving a lot every day to get to work. A lot of people will say it doesn't make that much of a difference but once you add it up, you'll be spending quite a bit on gas filling up with 91 (especially with the recent gas prices). Also, with the nature of the 2ZZ, you really need to rev it up to get anywhere. Again, that's the whole point of the engine but for a daily driver, it can get annoying not having any power or torque below the lift point of 6k rpms. And then the deal breaker for me is the age because at this point, 70% of these cars are clapped out rust buckets. Living in the rust belt, the 1st gen Matrix commonly rots out at the quarters and rockers and so every 1st gen Matrix XRS I've looked at has at least had rot starting at the rockers. Also, you'll come to find out that a lot of Matrix XRS owners are careless and don't actually take care of their cars. Most will use 87 in their cars which is very bad for the 2ZZ and usually the interiors and body's will be thrashed.

As for the 2nd gen Matrix XRS, it's a whole different car. The bigger motor means you get much more torque at lower rpms and it'll feel peppier even if you haven't downshifted it. The 5 speed in it while having longer ratios, is still short enough to have fun in as well but it has the advantage of being at lower rpms while cruising on the highway. The main disadvantage for these cars though is the oil burning TSB for the 2AZ. It's the main reason why I haven't bought one yet as the cheaper 2AZ powered Matrix's currently for sale are the ones that never had the TSB fix done and so, they most likely burn some oil. It's not the end of the world and I believe it can still be fixed with updated pistons or piston rings but it's not ideal.

So one is a newer, heavier but much more dailyable car while the other is an old school, raw driving machine. If I had to choose after having driven plenty of both, while I do like the 2ZZ, I'd still go for the 2nd gen with the 2AZ+5 speed manual. Especially as a daily driver but that's just me though. If this were maybe 5 or 10 years ago, I'd probably go with the 1st gen trix.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
19,313 Posts
I miss my corolla xrs to be honest. Bought it in 2016 and loved every second driving it. Even with the issues it gave me towards the end of life in 2021.

Hitting lift was always fun and going through the gears. They’re getting harder to find these days. Many owners probably never used lift when they purchased it new from the dealer. Yamaha power plant.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the detailed review. It really helped with how I'm going to proceed. I'm going to fix my current Matrix and sell it. Then I'll look for a 2012 or later Matrix S with the 5 speed. From what I've read 2011 and later 2.4l don't suffer from the oil burning issue. Does anyone know if the E350 transmission from the 2005-2010 Scion tC is a direct swap for the E351 in the Matrix? The Scion has a lower final drive ratio that I'd like to have. If not then maybe the diffs are interchangeable?

· 10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,481 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review. It really helped with how I'm going to proceed. I'm going to fix my current Matrix and sell it. Then I'll look for a 2012 or later Matrix S with the 5 speed. From what I've read 2011 and later 2.4l don't suffer from the oil burning issue. Does anyone know if the E350 transmission from the 2005-2010 Scion tC is a direct swap for the E351 in the Matrix? The Scion has a lower final drive ratio that I'd like to have. If not then maybe the diffs are interchangeable?
I've heard that as well about 2011+ 2AZ's already having the updated pistons and piston rings from the factory. One of my buddies has a 2012 C-XRS (Canada only) and his doesn't burn oil but he also has pretty low mileage (under 60k miles). In theory it makes sense since around 2011 was when the 2AR replaced the 2AZ in most of the main cars such as the Camry, tC, Rav4, etc. and the only USDM cars with the 2AZ post 2011 are the Matrix, xB, and CDM Corolla XRS. It was also around 2010-2011 when the fix was first available so it only makes sense for those engines post 2011 to have the fix already.

As for the E350, it should be a direct bolt on. It may even be possible to swap the diffs or certain gears into the E351 case as well.

· Diehard Rams Fan
23,754 Posts
Hi new to the site. I have a 2010 Matrix with the 2ZR-FE and 5 speed. The 5 speed is on its last legs and rather than replacing it with the same, I'm hoping to swap a 6 speed into it for some added performance. I just wanted to see what all is needed to do the swap so that I can get a parts list together and start gathering everything that's needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I looked at swapping in the 11th Gen 6MT onto my 2009 Corolla S 5MT that has the 2ZR-FE. After doing the research it didn't make sense to hassle with it. I now also own a 2017 Corolla iM 6MT and I've been able to compare them side by side. I actually prefer the 5MT over the 6MT. I drive the 6MT as a 5-speed in the mountains since 6th gear is taller than the 5th gear in the 5MT.

I don't think that the 9th Gen 6MT that is a close ratio transmission is the best choice for the 2ZR-FE. I would just have the 5MT rebuilt or swap in a used one and go with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.