Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have an import body/repair shop. Still have several cars I am restoring. One is a 2000 Avalon. I found water in it. I removed the entire interior except dashboard. I found the right rear drain tube in the sail panel (c pillar) was routed wrong and had a bad kink on it. It drained ok but over time had built up matter and eventually plugged up and water backed up and sent a steady stream of water into the cabin. This could happen in any car with age on it. Of course this caused the mechanism completely locked up. This might be a one only fail on the assembly line...but is something to consider if this happens to your car. Bragging here: I also have a rust free Celica By convert with under 200k. Hope to cherry it out and enjoy the road as I did in her years ago.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
987 Posts
Interesting (and cool about your Celica). I might try to pull that trim from my wife's 03 and check out the drain tube -- so thanks for the report. (My 01 doesn't have a sunroof).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^ Just try a cup of water in each drain location and see how it flows. You could also blow some compressed air in to clear a blockage.
Lots of times when those trim panels are popped out and reinstalled they have the bad habit of making squeaks and rattles that drive you almost as crazy as a soaked interior.
God I hate sunroofs, reminds me of Pop's old saying, "a boat is a hole in the water your pour money into". Just the reverse, a hole in your roof that pours water into your interior and makes you car smell like a locker room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting (and cool about your Celica). I might try to pull that trim from my wife's 03 and check out the drain tube -- so thanks for the report. (My 01 doesn't have a sunroof).
You have an Avalon without a sunroof? I've never seen one like that. They build the Avalon about 100 miles from here...many in salvage to get good parts from. The sunroof drain tubes can also plug up. That water backs up into the sunroof pan and will run into the cabin. Nice mess!

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
987 Posts
You have an Avalon without a sunroof? I've never seen one like that.
My 01 XL is a rare one -- a barebones XL, and the XL was pretty much stripped to begin with. This one has column shift, split fabric front bench seat, standard radio... by today's standards, a car that would sit on the lot for months. Doesn't drive quite as smoothly as our 03, but it's our day-trip car, being just a baby (62K miles).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update on the sunroof leak. The drain tube that was kinked and seemed routed wrong. It appears that the tube had been bumped out of its original path.maybe due to a repair in the trunk..or something jammed against it from inside the trunk/quarter panel resulting in a kink. Now I find the roof motor unable to open the roof. Any suggestions? Motor runs when unbolted and hanging loose from the mechanism.maybe just weak? Worked a month ago. Maybe the mechanism rusted ?baby experience with this? My Honda has a crank that can be used to open the roof in case if failure...i wish Toyota included this feature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts