Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through most of the search results on the TN Gen2 Camry board and 3 different manuals, and i still have a some questions.

has anyone removed and cleaned the EGR valve from the 2VZ-FE?

i came across IvanHoe's post, but that was for the 3sfe engine...

I didn't have any problems loosening the bolts, but it seems that something else is holding on to the valve.

Is the EGR valve and the EGR vacuum modulator one solid unit?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The modulator is the separate unit.The EGR on v-6 has built in cooler with two hoses.I removed it with intake plenum, because the customer wanted also spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, distributor cap, o-ring changed,so I had no chance to remove the EGR alone.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doctor J said:
The modulator is the separate unit.The EGR on v-6 has built in cooler with two hoses.I removed it with intake plenum, because the customer wanted also spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, distributor cap, o-ring changed,so I had no chance to remove the EGR alone.
hmmm...so, even w/ a well equipped shop, you still have to take off the upper intake air chamber to do plugs. guess i'll have to grab a gasket from Toyota then ><

...and thanks for the reply doc! ^_^

i'll have to address everything in one shot then, plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor, EGR valve cleaning [i have Code 71] and check the O2 Sensor.

right now...goin to try the seafoam trick to see if i can last the weekend.

has anybody else removed the EGR valve on a 2vz-fe w/out having to remove the plenum?

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
monito said:
hmmm...so, even w/ a well equipped shop, you still have to take off the upper intake air chamber to do plugs. guess i'll have to grab a gasket from Toyota then ><
No, you don't have to remove the intake to do the plugs...I've changed them several times, even with my huge hands I can get in there to do the job. See the post below for a little more info:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t165564.html

Sorry I can't help you with the EGR, I haven't had to worry about that yet (touch wood)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seafoamed my engine...and reset the ECU. hopefully that takes care of code 71. worried about code 25 and 26 which re-appeared earlier today. crossing fingers.

·
Grumpy, but good at it
108 Posts
Ah, yes, 71...:thumbdown

On my car, it wasn't the valve that was the problem. It was the EGR passage in the upper intake manifold (plenum) that was caked with crud. You can unbolt the EGR valve from the plenum to clean it. If your car is a California model (and if you haev code 71, I think it must be) you can also remove the EGR temp sensor and clean the passage via that hole.

I cleaned everything out, got the EGR working again, and now 71 is back. I think the EGR temp sensor itself is bad. I may replace it with a resistor if that's the case.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If vacuum modulator has burnt diaphragm, the EGR will not work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 tank, after a 5oz [1/3 of 1pt can] seafoam, my car is still showing signs of engine problems and low gas mileage. i do have to change sparks, cables, and dist cap and rotor, so i might as well take a look at the O2 sensor while i have the intake chamber off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts