Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone knew how much potential there is in modding a 2VZ-FE V6 from a 88 Camry. Keeping it NA too (or a Turbo/Twin Turbo). From the standard 157hp/160ft.pds, what do people think you can pull from it, and what mods would the motor take to.

(I know this has been posted before, but...:hammer: ..), what transmission can bolt up to the 2VZ-FE that could handle this extra power (if any!!), there has been a few mixed reports of what can bolt straight up and i just need a simple straight model number. (Not the 2VZFE 5-Speed, coz we dont have them here in Australia.)

Thankyou All.

·
422 Posts
Heh, I don't know of any auto trannies that'll bolt up to the 2vz without being equally shitty.

You'll have to have it built I'm betting.

I plan to rebuild mine with new internals and do a blower instead of turbo(s) since I don't want the complication of piping in from the Y pipe. I know there is a lightened flywheel and standard thi ngs that you can do to any car, like ignition and shit that you can do.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
jackfrost1031 how you gonna blow a 2vz easily?

btw nobody says you have to use a y-pipe and both banks to power a turbo LoL! I know of two 3vz-e 4runner projects that both only used the front bank to make everything easy. Both of those turned out fine...

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Unless you are gonna swap to a 5 speed, I would leave the trans alone for the time being. Maybe get a tranny cooler. Like jack said above, there really aren't any EXCEPTIONAL auto trannys. It really might be worth it to just get the parts from an 5 speed Shipped over there from here. The cars are dirt cheap since they are so old anyway. You can look on www.car-parts.com and call them up to see who can get you the best deal on the parts and shipping.

I would personally build up the car NA doing all the regular modifications first like Intake and exhaust. I would also get Custom Headers made. I think the real power gain would come from Opening up the head, porting/polishing it(and the intake manifold), 3 angle valve job, blah blah blah. Cams also help F series engines a lot. On the 5sfe, people gained like 20whp. You should gain at least that much and more since you have a bigger engine. Might even want to try raising the compression a little. That is all I would do personally but the car already has almost 160hp. You should be able to get it to 200whp(at least if you had a manual) with those mods no problem.

·
422 Posts
Toysrme said:
jackfrost1031 how you gonna blow a 2vz easily?

btw nobody says you have to use a y-pipe and both banks to power a turbo LoL! I know of two 3vz-e 4runner projects that both only used the front bank to make everything easy. Both of those turned out fine...

I was under the impression that if you only used one bank to power the turbo that it would make tings uneven..

that, and Tony the Tiger wnet to the trouble of routing his from a Y pipe so I figured that would be the way to do it.

I figured a rippmods type blower would be easier, since I would just have to do IC piping, if that. Getting a belt setup wouldn't be terribly hard, I wouldn't think, but if you think otherwise i'm open to any/all ideas.

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
A trans rebuild and a trans cooler would be a good idea. As far as HP\trq ratings, it all depends on what you do to it. Pistons, cams, etc.

Rippmods make good SC's for the camry, it's all bolt on. :D

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
JetspeedCamry said:
Just wanted to know if anyone knew how much potential there is in modding a 2VZ-FE V6 from a 88 Camry. Keeping it NA too (or a Turbo/Twin Turbo). From the standard 157hp/160ft.pds, what do people think you can pull from it, and what mods would the motor take to.

(I know this has been posted before, but...:hammer: ..), what transmission can bolt up to the 2VZ-FE that could handle this extra power (if any!!), there has been a few mixed reports of what can bolt straight up and i just need a simple straight model number. (Not the 2VZFE 5-Speed, coz we dont have them here in Australia.)

Thankyou All.

i don't think he's saying he wants a auto. he's saying that not the 5-spd that comes stock with the 2vz. i think he wants another 5-spd (that actually was used in australia) that will bolt up to the 2vz

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is correct 02RSX90camry...I need a manual transmission that is available in Australia, because we did not recieve any V6 manuals here. The auto box is sooo slushy and i really want to convert it, even berfore any engine stuff. I was thinking Celica boxes or something like that would be ok, just nobody here knows anything about these cars, there not too popular. So i've turned to the Camry masters!!!

Thanks so much guys for the help..
(that S/C idea is :D ) Is it completely bolt on for the 2VZ??

Thanks

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
JetspeedCamry said:
That is correct 02RSX90camry...I need a manual transmission that is available in Australia, because we did not recieve any V6 manuals here. The auto box is sooo slushy and i really want to convert it, even berfore any engine stuff. I was thinking Celica boxes or something like that would be ok, just nobody here knows anything about these cars, there not too popular. So i've turned to the Camry masters!!!

Thanks so much guys for the help..
(that S/C idea is :D ) Is it completely bolt on for the 2VZ??

Thanks
That supercharger idea willnot help you. There is no bolt on supercharger or turbo kit for your engine. Hell, there is not even a single pre-made performance part for your engine. Every single thing you do to it will have to be custom.

I don't think there is any transmission that just bolts up to that car. Well unless the 3vzfe was available with a manual over there. That might work. Don't quote me on that though but that is your best bet.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, i think a NA setup would be cool for now.

Can anyone confirm the E153 5-speed's ability to bolt up to the 2VZ??

We do get 5-Speed manual 3VZ's here, would they bolt up??

Once the transmission is selected, what sort of clutch system are we talking about...from a 4Cyl 3SFE camry ?? or??

Thanks

·
422 Posts
I would say a clutch setup for the transmission, judging from luisitols discussion about using the e153 for his 5SFE.

Unless you mean like pedal/master cylinder, then yes, the 4cylinder setup would be fine. I think that's what Ratko did with his.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have no idea what they used with the 2VZ in Australia. The gen 2s had at least six or seven different trannies depending on the engine or trim level, which is a PITA. The only two behind the 2VZ I know of for sure were the E52 (manual) and the A540 (auto).

I can't imagine why a E-153 wouldn't bolt up if it was used on the 3VZ-FE. It will bolt up to the 3S-FE.

- John

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks John.
Yeah, i've got the A540 transmission. These are the only transmissions that came on the 2VZ here.

We did, however, have 5 speed manual Gen 3 V6's. Is the 3VZFE the only V6 in the Gen 3?? If so, then that might be a good avenue. Getting the 5 Speed from that motor, and pedal/master cylinder set from the 4 Cyl Gen 2...

Thanks guys.
:thumbup: :D

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Crawlingeye.... So I think were talkn 3VZFE now, coz we've got them here in 5-Speed....

Now....

If that motor uses the A540 Automatic..(??) and my car has the A540 standard on the 2VZ, then theoretically, the 5 Speed from the 3VZ(E153?) would bolt up without too much trouble. Correct?

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
JetspeedCamry said:
Thanks Crawlingeye.... So I think were talkn 3VZFE now, coz we've got them here in 5-Speed....

Now....

If that motor uses the A540 Automatic..(??) and my car has the A540 standard on the 2VZ, then theoretically, the 5 Speed from the 3VZ(E153?) would bolt up without too much trouble. Correct?
Yes, the 3vz manual SHOULD work. And to answer your previous question, you use the clutch for that transmission and the flywheel for whatever engine you have. They do make lightweight flywheels for the 2vzfe so you might want to pick one of those up also. Might also want to get a better clutch too if you are gonna build the engine.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thankyou,
I really appreciate your help.

Well im off to see if i can source a tranny!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
The model number of the manual tranny from the 2VZ-FE is E52.

I believe this is the same for the 3VZ-FE as well.

Good Luck! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts