Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 T100 4X4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started new thread.

My 97 T100 4x4 needs a new transmission. I found a good 2WD transmission local. Will it fit? I don't really need 4WD, I just need a truck that works.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Let's see...

The transfer case will have to come out. The transmission brace will have to be moved or modified as it's completely different than the 2WD one. The drive shaft might need to be lengthened or you'll have to source a 2WD shaft. Not sure if the speedometer cable will be long enough or too long.

Didn't any of the transmissions pan out down here or in Austin? :(

I'm not sure if you can pull the rear housing off of the 2WD trans and bolt the 4WD trans rear housing on to make it work... :D

·
Registered
1997 Toyota T100
1,939 Posts
Let's see...

The transfer case will have to come out. The transmission brace will have to be moved or modified as it's completely different than the 2WD one. The drive shaft might need to be lengthened or you'll have to source a 2WD shaft. Not sure if the speedometer cable will be long enough or too long.

Didn't any of the transmissions pan out down here or in Austin? :(

I'm not sure if you can pull the rear housing off of the 2WD trans and bolt the 4WD trans rear housing on to make it work... :D
X2. I'm not up on all the details, but the rear housing from the 4wd tranny will have to be swapped over if you plan to keep the 4wd. If you convert the truck to 2wd (that would be a shame:D), you will need to remove the Tcase, swap in a driveshaft from the 2wd as well, and then figure out a way to seal up the front driveline components. I would think a used 4wd tranny would be way less of a hassle. Just my 2 pennies. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
No, that will not work.

·
Registered
97 T100 4X4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided to stick with a 4W tran I guess. My current problem is i have found one or two that I would be willing to buy but after looking at the pictures, they don't look like the right one. The ones I think I am looking for is for my 97 3.4L 4x4 which I see as a 5VZ that will also fit a 4runner and tacoma according to the listings like on ebay. However the ones I see have the transfer case on the left side of the tran, i.e. looking from the rear of the tran up to the bell housing the front drive shaft is on the left. I went by my mechanics shop who currently has my truck setting outside with the tran in the bed waiting for me to get him another one, and i took pics of it and mine has the transfer case on the right side. I got under and looked and shur nuf the front drive shaft is on the right side of the bell housing looking from rear towrd front. I'm confused. I did get a few numbers off of mine. There are three differnet raised markings on it. One is "AISIN 8980 15" in small letters, there is "30 80" in very large letters, and of course there is "VZ" in large letters. The small blue id plate on it is too worn to make out very good. Anyone have any idea what kind of id info to look for to find the right tran?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Didn't any of these pan out? :(

Transmission
Toyota T100 6 CYL, 4X4 AT,STOCK NO. 079141034 122,000 079141034 $Call Big Four Auto Parts USA-TX(Austin) Request_Quote 1-800-445-3404 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Toyota T100 8-95,4X4,3.4,A0D 006216 $Call A Plus Auto Parts USA-TX(Pasadena) E-mail 1-866-278-7055 / 1-713-477-1000
Transmission
Toyota T100 3011 $Call A-Plaza Auto Parts USA-TX(Houston) E-mail 281-820-0022

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I've decided to stick with a 4W tran I guess. My current problem is i have found one or two that I would be willing to buy but after looking at the pictures, they don't look like the right one. The ones I think I am looking for is for my 97 3.4L 4x4 which I see as a 5VZ that will also fit a 4runner and tacoma according to the listings like on ebay. However the ones I see have the transfer case on the left side of the tran, i.e. looking from the rear of the tran up to the bell housing the front drive shaft is on the left. I went by my mechanics shop who currently has my truck setting outside with the tran in the bed waiting for me to get him another one, and i took pics of it and mine has the transfer case on the right side. I got under and looked and shur nuf the front drive shaft is on the right side of the bell housing looking from rear towrd front. I'm confused.
Check your VIN plate, you should have a R150F trans, which was used with both the 3.0 (3VZ) and 3.4 (5VZ) V6 engines in the T100. They bolted up to a chain-drive t-case with a right hand (pass side) drop. The same trans is used in the 3.4 V6 Taco but bolted to a left hand (drvr side) drop t-case.

That is why the Taco trans will work in a T100.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts