Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
04 Camry, 03 4Runner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at buying a 2wd (just more common) 2002-03 Sequoia.
I know that most, if not all, come with traction control. That is basically using the ABS system to modulate the brakes to trick the open differential into maintaining traction on the slipping wheel.
Nice when it works properly, I guess.

I'm an old-fashioned guy, though. I'd be inclined to put in a real (TRD) limited-slip differential for consistent full-time 2 wheel traction.

How well does the 2wd traction control system work in snow? Is it really good? Do I not need to bother with installing limited slip?

Nothing against 4wd. I just want a simpler setup. Less parts to break.

Other than an occasional snowy day, my biggest traction problem is seaweed all over the boat launching ramp. My 1985 open-diff suburban barely can do the job!:lol:

How do you 2 wheelers do in tough situations?

·
Registered
'03 Sequoia
416 Posts
There were a bunch of threads on this at Tundrasolutions. I have an '03 4WD but have played around while in 2WD. Personally NOT a huge fan of the brake modulating thing for getting going in rougher conditions. I've been stuck on hills where needed 4WD to get out of it. On those same hills 5 minutes later my Dad's Chevy Express van with LSD was able to make it up (both vehicles snow tire equipped). Sometimes for mud/snow you need to be able to spin the tires to clear the treads out between the VSC and Trac that does not allow it. Disable the system and your back to open diff. As mine is more of highway queen with 4WD and snows I haven't had the need to change it (but did research a lot at the time). If I was doing more off road and slippery conditions I would probably have had it done already. TRD/Kazuma where the choices at the time, Eaton was working on one (they make an electric locker for the Tacoma I think) and ARB of course which would allow the open diff normal and full lock if you think you need.

Watch this on a newer version http://www.gobestcar.com/TOYOTA/toyota-tundra-limited-slip-differential/

·
Registered
05 Tundra
191 Posts
I installed a TRD limited slip in my 05 Tundra 4x4, this past summer, love it, they show a LSD unit for 02-06 for around $300 plus shipping, plus gaskets, oil & labor. I installed mine myself, I love it, haven't had it in the snow yet, but I'll leave two streeks of ground up grass in the yard. I don't have traction control, I don't know if you can have both traction control & A LSD unit, if one might interfer with the other. Darrin

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '02 has been in the snow only a couple of time times, and I was very pleased with the way it handled. I did not have what you would call any tough situations though. Memphis is pretty flat. BTW My old '01 4runner had a hard time pulling someone out of a ditch until I turned the traction control off.

·
Registered
04 Camry, 03 4Runner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I don't know if you can have both traction control & A LSD unit, if one might interfer with the other. Darrin
This is also what I'm wondering. I like the idea of the VSC system, so disabling it probably is a no-go.
If one were to put in an auto-locking, or Eaton, clutch-pack limited slip, I would think that the traction control would never even light up.
But what if it does? Would the modulated braking prevent the auto lockers from engaging? they need a brief bit of spin to lock up.
So many questions.

From previous experience, I do know that if you're spinning with an Eaton clutch-type, it means you're spinning both wheels & sawing your way out of trouble.

We have lots of snow, ice & hills around here, so I'm a little worried about the plain-old traction control setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts