Toyota Nation Forum banner

Are my questions....

• not worth answering/annoying?

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • valid questions that most users would be glad to answer?

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • sound really stupid?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • errr, this isn't really an option for the poll, i guess i should have only had 3 choices.

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Insanity makes more sense
1990 camry
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 camry with the 3sfe in it. And it is 2WD, as one could deduce from the title of the string. It is an automatic as well. The car is in really good condition mechanically and appearance wise, even tho its got 189,000 miles on it! Anyhow there is a question of course of, "is this project even worth bothering with" But im planning on keepin the car for a long time to come.... Anyhow, in short what I want to do is get a MANUAL all-trac (awd) transmission and put it in my current camry. I am wondering if anyone here has done such a project and would have any insight on this sort of thing... and also does anyone know if it just can't be done practically.

from my understanding tho... the transmission would bolt onto the engine fairly easy, but i guess since i have a 2wd trans in there now, i would have to do a bit of work to get the power to the rear wheels, do the alltrac camry's have a different rear axle? Do you have to get a different computer to run the alltrac trans as well? (I find electronic work the most annoying to do in the car heh. I hope I dont have to mess too much with wiring for this project!)

anyhow, I know that I can find an alltrac manual transmission for a 2nd gen camry locally anyhow at a junk yard, its in an 89 camry tho. but I assume that wont be a problem cause its still gen 2.

I'm thinkin im going to need to replace or work on my current transmission soon anyhow... It seems when the car is still cold in the morning when i crank it up, the first time i really give it some gas to turn onto the road, it doesnt give much power to the wheels and makes a loud vibrating sound... so i let off the gas immediatly and try again... (eek! I hope its not breakin but maybe one of you could tell me if it is or not) only does this when its still fairly cold, and not been runnin very long... once I've gotten it up to speed and stop again, it never does it again... until the next mornin.

thanks for readin my post.
-AndyC

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Im not 100% sure on this, but isnt the All-Trac Camry's floorpan/chassis different, so as to accomodate the rear differential?

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i'm sure it's not going to work. the alltrac rear suspension would be different to the 2wd one. it can be done but not worth the time or $ you'r better off buying the AWD one from the junk yard and fixing that one.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
i thought he was gonna ask if it was viable to block off the rear output and just use the front drive, but THEN he kept going....

erm a tranny is just a tranny,

yore going to need the rear suspension, driveshaft, rear diff, custom fuel tank, custom exhaust, engineering etc to get it all together.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
The floof pan of the 2WD model is different from the AWD model. You will need to modify the chasis to accomodate the drive shaft and the rear differential. There may also be some structural changes.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
i would strongly tend to agree with the suggestion of getting an all-trac from the junk yard, but would add that you should transfer over things that you need working....engine or wheels for ex. i would be a whole heck of a lot easier than putting the all-trac parts in the non-all trac car

·
Insanity makes more sense
1990 camry
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your posts. Answered my main question! It's not practical...:sosad:
I guess that means I'm gonna be on the look out for a cheap all-trac camry! If anyone knows where I might be able to get an all-trac camry sedan for around 500 dollars... (as long as it isn't massively damaged body wise... i'd be interested in gettin it... even if its not running. I can put my stuff in it if the chasis/body/and whatelse is in good condition.) but if anyone knows where i can get one! let me know!

again... thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts