2,286 Posts
Chain.
Interference.

Jeff

·
The Toyota Guru
2013 BMW 328i xDrive
332 Posts
Ever Since VVT-i made its way into Toyota engines, they have been Interference engines.

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I recently blew a timing belt at 100 KPH on my old (but still a great ride) 1990 Honda Accord EX-R which is has an interference engine. After replacing the motor with one from a junkyard this past weekend I removed the head from the original engine, no damage done to the valves at all, go figure...

Reactions: invader

·
Registered
439 Posts
The damage may be in the valve stems.......as in bent. The valves will need to be removed fron the head in order to check.

ok, maybe some damage was done, i will remove the valves on the old head and check, i was just looking at where the valve seats, no damage there or signs of impact, anyways i better stop talking about a 20 year old Honda on a Corolla forum before the admin's track me down, thx's for the tip

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,948 Posts
I recently blew a timing belt at 100 KPH on my old (but still a great ride) 1990 Honda Accord EX-R which is has an interference engine. After replacing the motor with one from a junkyard this past weekend I removed the head from the original engine, no damage done to the valves at all, go figure...
Yes it would be obvious if your valves had actually collided with the pistons, which would at least leave a mark on aluminum pistons.

"the book says it is but most of the time they do not bend unless the motor is under a load or revved up high."

https://repairpal.com/interference-or-non-interference-engine-313

1 - 11 of 11 Posts