Toyota Nation Forum banner

$3,000 for a modified corolla?

2124 15
I have a $3,000 budget for a new car to last me through 2-5 yrs of grad school. I'm considering buying something like a used 89 corolla and turbo'ing it with something like this or similar:

http://turbokits.com/corolla_turbo_kits.html

If both of these kits produce 6psi why would the more expensive give 56% hp increase instead of ~30% like the cheaper one?

My Question is, is the Corolla a good project car for my goal?
--> A fun, as.fast.as.can.be, but reliable daily driver at $3K max. Or would a Tercel be a better choice or something else? I want to stick with Toyota because I love their ergonomics and they've been very reliable cars for me.. cheers :).
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
280 Posts
Just so you have another option, assuming you we're using the $3,000 to get a car, you COULD get a Tercel for under $1000 and even less if you tracking and dealing skills are good. Then you could have a low mileage 4E-FTE swapped in their and probably walk away with a nice reliable and upgradable turbo set-up for under $3,000. If you need info on how to do it PM me and I'll give you all the details. No need for junkyard motors here, a Tercel is a great choice for working in a budget and getting some suprisingly good performance out of it...an when in doubt spin by Tercelonline and you will see some beastly Tercels around their that will give some of the best Toyotas a run for their money..or in some instances take their money. :thumbup:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.