Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Camry SE 3.5 V6 6Spd Auto 168k miles.. Transmission is shifting funny from 3-4, revs high like its slipping then shifts into 4th fine.. sometimes it slips 500rpm, sometimes 100-200rpm.. ONE TIME it revved over 1,000rpm, then other times it shifts fine.. doesn't matter how much pressure I put on the gas pedal.. it actually seems to shift better when I'm above 50% throttle.. at low throttle 10-20% it feels like it slips a few hundred rpms? Im thinking it's solenoid? I changed the fluid and filter 10k ago step by step per manual (it was dark so I dropped pan twice) it has helped but seems to be getting worse again... Anybody else ever hear of this issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
gonna need to do some research. dunno if a flash will fix it or not and don't know which models or other years besides yours that were affected by the tsb.
i have the 06, which also has trans problems from the factory that toyota didn't bother to address to this day to my knowledge. it goes into neutral for 2 seconds at 25 mph if you don't mash the gas cause it can't decide which gear to downshift to. i just have to work around it with the gas pedal.
tony

·
Banned
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
4,454 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...7802-camry-v6-2007-slipping-transmission.html

Toyota replaced valve bodies and reflashed the TCM for these. Make sure you have the latest software. If the reprogramming doesn't help, you can buy a new valve body or install a zipkit or shift kit.

http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinfo/Random FSM Data/CamryShiftFlare-TSIB.pdf

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jarrid191/2008-10-20_230919_T-TC007-07.pdf
I checked my current TCM firmware "calibration id" which is 895363301200, there is a newer one out - 895363301400... How can I go about updating this? Do I have to take it to the dealer? The original calibration firmware is 8953633010000, so the car doesn't have the oldest version either... Or should I just install the zipkit and run it?

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
gonna need to do some research. dunno if a flash will fix it or not and don't know which models or other years besides yours that were affected by the tsb.
i have the 06, which also has trans problems from the factory that toyota didn't bother to address to this day to my knowledge. it goes into neutral for 2 seconds at 25 mph if you don't mash the gas cause it can't decide which gear to downshift to. i just have to work around it with the gas pedal.
tony

@mcgowaw

You have the same thing? I thought it was just me only! Mines is a 2004 XLE V6

I've had this happen during every throttle position from light to moderate and aggressive. Everything except WOT it occurs randomly. 1 to 2 is fine, it's from 2 to 3 it hiccups sometimes.

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
yep, i can duplicate it easily on the trans downshift from highway speed to a slow housing complex speed, which means you're not giving it much gas because of the reduced speed limit.
i've had it 'hang' in 'neutral' for way more than the 2 seconds that seems common in many threads where i've read about this on all 2002-2006 camrys.
the 4 speed trans didn't have this as my 93, 94 and 01 didn't exhibit this weirdness.
as near as i can figure, it was when they added the extra gear in the trans.
tony

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
yep, i can duplicate it easily on the trans downshift from highway speed to a slow housing complex speed, which means you're not giving it much gas because of the reduced speed limit.
i've had it 'hang' in 'neutral' for way more than the 2 seconds that seems common in many threads where i've read about this on all 2002-2006 camrys.
the 4 speed trans didn't have this as my 93, 94 and 01 didn't exhibit this weirdness.
as near as i can figure, it was when they added the extra gear in the trans.
tony
You can duplicate it? I can't. It happens randomly.

Happens only upshifting or downshifting for you? Mines is only when upshifting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Suggest a recheck of your transmission fluid level.
Please note that the engine has to be running with the transmission in Park. Also check that the oil level plastic straw is tightened up, not loose.
I am assuming that your vehicle has the U660E transmission which does not have a dipstick.
I added an extra 100-200ml [0.1 to 0.2 US quart] after completing the oil level check procedure where there is the occassional drop coming out of the oil pan.
Transmission now shifting smoothly. Before, I was getting flare when the transmission was cold.

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
161 Posts
5th Gen trans issue.

Alas, my '03 Camry 3.0 Lt 6 cyl is also having trans issues. Hesitation upshifting and even a hard shift when slowing to make a right turn and then accelerating is a common problem, or so a dealership service rep told me. I'm not a fan of additives, but a friend's Hyundai Sante Fe started having similar issues around 100K. He started using a product called Z Max, adding it to the trans fluid every 6 months. He now has 240K on that original trans, so I decided to try it. I added it yesterday and the problem disappeared. Z Max makes additives for trans, engine, and gas tank, and I found the trans additive at Pep Boys for $10. Time will tell, but I can only hope for the same success my friend had with his Sante Fe. Now I can focus on my timing belt replacement, and if I saved on a trans repair I am more likely to just pay to have that done.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my 07 v6 camry at 5000 miles. When cold there has always been a slip between 2nd and 3rd. I have always either let the car warm up a little before driving or ease up on the accelerator between the shift. My car now has 250k miles and still does the same thing. I shoulda had it fixed while under warranty but hate going to the dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts