Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if anybody had the dealer install their lift? When i bought my truck the sales dude told me if I didn't have the "TRD" shop do the lift then it would void my warranty. I don't know if thats true or whatever but I'm sure it would cost a buttload to have the dealer do the install. I went in this weekend just to check out rims and the jackass sales guy told me those FJ rims were $400 a piece.:bullshit2When i got done laughing i *politely thought to myself he was an* idiot and left. Also, does anyone happen to know what brand lift they use? Thanks!

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
most likely revtek. toyota doesn't make or sell lifts for our trucks. thats a dealership thing. any lift will void the warranty for the parts it affects, but the dealership may be more forgiving if it is their lift that's on there. every dealership i've seen install lifts it has been revtek, at least for the 3" lift. they are an extremely cheap lift, it probably would cost you around $100 for the parts for the entire lift. but the dealerhship will probably charge at least a $1k. thats definitely a bad price for the trd fj's

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Yeah, you can save some serious $$$ and get a MUCH better lift for the money by just doing it yourself... it's actually very easy, just time comsuming...

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:
Yeah, you can save some serious $$$ and get a MUCH better lift for the money by just doing it yourself... it's actually very easy, just time comsuming...

this guy is going around calling people idiots, you really think he will be able to install a lift?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rydr1 said:
this guy is going around calling people idiots, you really think he will be able to install a lift?

No, i didn't actually call him an idiot. :disappoin That would be pretty extreme. To clarify, i thought to myself "idiot" and left.

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
if you have some mechanical knowledge you should be able to handle installing the lift just fine. :thumbup:
i would say that they are trying to rip you off. the fj trd wheels, i belive i have seen them around for about $150.

if you need to get the lift installed i would say shop around to a place that has experience doing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, my main concern was the warranty thing. I got the extended warranty thing when i bought it, so i'm not really willing to jeopardize it for the lift. Has anybody had problems with the warranty on a lifted truck?

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
there is alot of guys that will tell you what we have learned is that if your lift is the cause of a faulty component and they can prove it they cannot warranty the faulty component. the complete vehicle warranty is also not void.

if someone can find the info please cause because i cant seem to find it.

·
Registered
2006 Taco 4x4 DBL LB
5 Posts
I had my 3" lift installed at a local shop, the dealer is full of BS! I also bought the FJ TRD silver wheels and put on 285 BFG's AT TA KO's on them, they rock! i only paid $127.50 from Discount Tire here in Tucson, AZ...again the dealer is full of shit! don't pay the dealer shit! shop around , i did and it paid off nicely...:D

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Google Magnusson-Moss. That will give you all the information about the Magnusson-Moss Act. It basically says the mfg. has to prove your aftermarket components caused the warranty issue in question. If your frame bends, they can't just blame it on the lift and be done with it, they have to prove the lift was the problem in a court of law.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
dosman45 said:
I had my 3" lift installed at a local shop, the dealer is full of BS! I also bought the FJ TRD silver wheels and put on 285 BFG's AT TA KO's on them, they rock! i only paid $127.50 from Discount Tire here in Tucson, AZ...again the dealer is full of shit! don't pay the dealer shit! shop around , i did and it paid off nicely...:D
$127.50 for the tires? Or for the wheels? If its for the tires, that IS a smokin deal. IIRC - Discount tire quoted me about 180/tire for the 285 BFG's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts