Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 questions for a 2003 Camry SE 4 cylinder car.

1) Is it really necessary to use the Toyota ATF fluid? Every mechanic I talked to said it wasn't necessary. I'm at 72K now.

2) I'm also changing the serpentine belt but I'm not sure where I can loosen the tension to slip the old belt out.

3) Does anyone know the proper procedure to flush the power steering fluid?

Thanks!

-B

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
1.) Use Toyota Trans Fluid.

2.)

REPLACEMENT

1. REMOVE FRONT WHEEL RH
  2. REMOVE FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL RH
  3. REMOVE ENGINE COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY NO.1
  4. REMOVE ENGINE MOVING CONTROL ROD W/BRACKET

a)Remove the 3 bolts and control rod.
  1. REMOVE ENGINE MOUNTING STAY NO.2 RH
  2. REMOVE ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET NO.2 RH
  3. REMOVE FAN AND GENERATOR V BELT

a)Slowly turn the belt tensioner clockwise for more than 3 seconds , and remove the drive belt by using SST.
SST 09249-63010
  1. INSTALL FAN AND GENERATOR V BELT

a)Slowly turn the belt tensioner clockwise for more than 3 seconds , and install the drive belt by using SST.
SST 09249-63010
  1. INSTALL ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET NO.2 RH Torque: 52 Nm (531 kgf-cm, 38 ft. lbs.)
  2. INSTALL ENGINE MOUNTING STAY NO.2 RH Torque: 64 Nm (653 kgf-cm, 47 ft. lbs.)
  3. INSTALL ENGINE MOVING CONTROL ROD W/BRACKET

a)Install the engine control rod with the 3 bolts.
Torque: 64 Nm (653 kgf-cm, 47 ft. lbs.)
  1. INSTALL FRONT WHEEL RH Torque: 103 Nm (1,050 kgf-cm, 76 ft. lbs.)
3.) Remove the P/S steering Return line, Constantly ad new fluid while old fluid is draining into a large bucket, move wheel left to right until clean fluid runs out return line.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips.

1) Do you happen to know where I can get that SST tool?

2) Where is the power steering return line located?

3) Is there a complete manuel online that I can download?

Thanks!

-B

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
1) Is it really necessary to use the Toyota ATF fluid? Every mechanic I talked to said it wasn't necessary. I'm at 72K now.
My 2002 also says to use "only Toyota TIV ATF fluid". I'd like to use dexron also, but so far i just use what they say. Because the owners manual says adverse shifting and other problems can happen if you use other fluid than what they say, im not willing to take the chance, simply to save $2 a qt of ATF - and i believe Toyota long before i believe what ANY mechanic tells me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marc780 said:
My 2002 also says to use "only Toyota TIV ATF fluid". I'd like to use dexron also, but so far i just use what they say. Because the owners manual says adverse shifting and other problems can happen if you use other fluid than what they say, im not willing to take the chance, simply to save $2 a qt of ATF - and i believe Toyota long before i believe what ANY mechanic tells me.
The funny thing is that I just checked underneath the hood and when I pulled the tranny dip stick it says something like "Under Normal Driving Conditions do not change ATF fluid" WTF? :confused:

-B

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
I would suggest not changing fluid if it has been more than 60k since it has been changed. If your going to change it, make sure it was done at 30k, 60k, etc. But after 60k and its never been done, I wouldnt.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
You don't need an SST tool and you don't need to remove the engine movement control rod.

Just take off your right front wheel, and remove the splash guard to reveal the crank pulley. Then just have a friend pull on the tensioner bolt with a 19mm socket and a breaker bar while you remove the belt off of the crank pulley.

I just changed my drive belt and I installed a lightweight crank pulley, so trust me when I tell you this. Its really quite easy.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
^^^ that works just fine as well, I just copy/Pasted the repair from Alldata, lol

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
The funny thing is that I just checked underneath the hood and when I pulled the tranny dip stick it says something like "Under Normal Driving Conditions do not change ATF fluid" WTF? :confused:
I know a lot of car makers say that their ATF never needs to be changed. For once i disagree with Toyota (and all the rest of the automakers), and I dont know why the engineers would ever say this, because they ought to know better. There isn't a transmission fluid made that can go for the life of the car and not be dirty and with the additives depleted and worn out by heat.

I've always changed my ATF every 25,000 to 30,000 miles on all my cars (10 in all, over the years). And i've never replaced a transmission nor had to have the trans worked on.

·
Toyota
2002 Toyota Camry
61 Posts
JSM1284, why would u not recomend changing the trans fluid if it has been over 60k and it has not been changed yet.?

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
Sometimes you may cause more harm than good. There my be particles built up that are actually keeping the trans together. If you remove the old fluid, you disrupt those particles and can soon experience a failure. In my shop, We wont touch the trans fluid if over 60k with no previous service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you mean 1.) use only the Toyota brand of ATF ??, Toyota makes the point in the manual that using other brands can cause problems, so I would stick with Toyota: with a newer car the use of another brand could cause warranty claim problems if the oil is analyzed and found to be another make. If the question is about draining and replacing the ATF, there are several ways to view this. As noted above, some people feel that at if your car has high mileage then relacing the ATF with clean fluid can loosen the varnish, etc in the transmission and cause problems. On the other hand, some automatic transmission problems are due to the seals hardening over time, and new fluid is supposed to prevent this. The other issue is about the amont of dirt and debris in the transmission: if the Camry filter is a simple mesh screen, (not a felt pad) then the metal filings and friction particles are recycled around the transmission while you are driving, so for me it makes sense to change it on a fairly regular basis. There is a magnetic drain plug, but not all of the particles are steel. What is strange is that the 2005 Camry Manual has no information about checking the ATF levels, although checking every other fluid level is described in detail. The manual also does not give any guidelines for changing the ATF, or any instructions to follow for checking the fluid level, although this has to be done in a particular way ( hot/cold, etc.). However the Owner's Manual Supplement states that it is the Owner's Responsiblity to check it: it's number one in the Under Hood checklist. Why does Toyota give the owner that responsibility, but then not even show where the dipstick is in the engine layout diagrams?? Any other car manual that I've had explained in detail how to check the ATF, but possibly Toyota had too many customers overfilling the transmission by topping it up when it wasn't necessary (?) so they removed this information.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Bringing this thread back up from the DEAD! 10 years, 188,000 miles, and one transmission fluid change later, the car still shifts like butter and runs like a champ using Valvoline Maxlife ATF. So I can effectively say that the statement below didn't apply to me. LOL

-B

Sometimes you may cause more harm than good. There my be particles built up that are actually keeping the trans together. If you remove the old fluid, you disrupt those particles and can soon experience a failure. In my shop, We wont touch the trans fluid if over 60k with no previous service.

Reactions: hardtopte72

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,750 Posts
love me some valvoline maxlife but not sure where i'll get it now that wallyworld's stop carrying it for some reason i can't fathom.
tony

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
love me some valvoline maxlife but not sure where i'll get it now that wallyworld's stop carrying it for some reason i can't fathom.
tony
I've been looking for it the local Walmart and they didn't carry it either. So I looked online and you can actually order it off the Walmart website and have it delivered to your local Walmart free of charge.

-B

Reactions: mcgowaw

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,061 Posts
Makes sense for a shop to do that. to be honest, I'd be the same way too.

With my own cars, if the tranny dies after a fluid drain and refill, oh well...was bound to happen.

Thank for reporting back though....after 10 years :)

Reactions: Blown383

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bringing this thread back up from the DEAD! 10 years, 188,000 miles, and one transmission fluid change later the car still shifts like butter and runs like a champ using Valvoline Maxlife ATF. So I can effectively say that the statement below didn't apply to me. LOL

-B
Thats because everything the other op said is invalid lol

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,738 Posts
Order a case of Mobil 3309 ATF. That is the same fluid as Toyota Type IV which is speced for your AT. I have read on this forum and BITOG forum that the Valvoline ATF is a good choice. Walmart recently stopped stocking the Valvoline ATF.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can still order the Valvoline ATF fluid via Walmart's website: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-MaxLife-Dexron-Mercon-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125768?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009494263&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=80417794969&wl4=pla-81427101409&wl5=9060325&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=15125768&wl13=&veh=sem

They just ship it to your local store in 2 days for pick up. Current price is $17.87 in my area.

-B

Order a case of Mobil 3309 ATF. That is the same fluid as Toyota Type IV which is speced for your AT. I have read on this forum and BITOG forum that the Valvoline ATF is a good choice. Walmart recently stopped stocking the Valvoline ATF.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Maxlife is still available at other autopart stores. I don't use that Hecho outside the USA fluid. Try Castrol or Pennzoil.

OE fluid does not need to be used. But, you should use an ATF that mentions the spec requirements. There is nothing special about TIV or WS ATF. Don't use dexron as it is not forward compatible with newer ATFs. Newer ATFs are usually very backwards compatible for older transmissions.

Toyota makes a point in keeping dealer parts Dept employed and us stockholders happy with their parts profit margin.

PSF is as easy as a siphon and refill.

No harm in a fluid change and no particles to worry about since transmission has a filter. The interent ATF change hearsay has been spread around since the beginning of the internet. Sad when master techs don't have a clue concerning fluid technology.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts