Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Livers are for wusses
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I first got my camry I bottomed occasionally and I'm pretty sure I posted a question asking whether or not this hurts anything. I'm also pretty sure nobody thought it would.. or maybe nobody cared... but it can definantly have negative effects...

My flexpipe on my exhaust was all messed up from bottoming out and if it weren't for the shop that is working on my car, I may have had to pay 300-400 dollars for a whole new exhaust system. (Fortunately he knew someone who would just weld a new flex pipe on or something to that extent)

Second, My boots on my front wheels were toast. He told me that it may have been from bottoming out, but they've never been replaced anyway so it may have been time.

My oil pan and auto tranny pan have both taken a beating from bottoming out and while there isn't much physical damage.. there is some visible leaking. I'll have to try and tighten the nuts around them to see if it stops..

I also had my timing belt done.. so you can imagine that my bill is starting to add up :-( ... I'm just happy she doesnt sound like a lawn mower anymore...but just a heads up that you should probably handle your camry with a little more respect on big bumps...

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I had the same problem with my flex pipe. But when it happened to me, my car didn't sound like a lawn mower. It sounded like a muscle car and was pretty boss! My dad kept making me fix it but I kept postponing it cuz I liked the sound. lol

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
LOL! Oh yeah, I forgot about that. All I can say is........

·
Livers are for wusses
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha yeah i envy your v6... :p:

bottoming out is when the bottom of your car slams/grinds/bumps against the ground... this usually only happens to the front of your car.. around the engine bay where it's most heavy...

at least that's my definition...

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Is your car lowered? My V6 dosn't do that. Do you think the stronger springs on the V6 prevent bottoming out like your I4?

·
Registered
94 Camry Coupe
399 Posts
I had the same problem with my I4. It did sound like I had a rice muffler for a while. I got the flexy thing replaced for $50. I don't know what caused it to break but I never slow down on speed bumps. My car isn't lowered and I hate speed bumps. My car is built like a tank I tell you. 10 years old!

·
Livers are for wusses
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do i think stiffer suspension would help? absolutely... i also live is a fairly uneven area where theres lots of hills.. and the speedbumps at my school are honesly ridiculous.. a lot of my friends have to cross them diagonally so they don't rub on the bottom...

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
I used to bottom out a lot with my stock suspension, until Silversteakin and I installed an H&R and Tokico setup:D It turned out I was bottoming out because I had 2 bad stuts

·
Registered
41 Posts
i had the same problem and one of my friends welded it but i was just driving down the road and VRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM it was soooooo loud everyone was looking at me oh man, but it wasnt "ricey" it was very very very deep n i have a 4 cyl

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Bottoming out is when the body of the shock slams up into its top mount. Usually, there are little rubber rings in there to soften the blow but slam it hard or often enough, you will f**k your car up.
Dragging parts, well...thats different.

If your are bottoming, probably shocks are blown or car is overladen or incorrect spring rate (cut springs).

Shocks (or dampers is what they really are) slow suspension travel on compression and rebound. On performance systems they are of course feel stiffer, makes sense, since you probably have a lower car - less travel available.

oh, also common sense dictates slowing down.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
When my flex-pipe went, it sounded badass, until I got next to a wall or another car and the sound came back at me... then I realized what everyone else was hearing, which did resemble lawn mower (sorta). So I put in a whole new Y-Pipe, which was a bad bad BAD idea... One of the studs from the manifold got stripped, so the Y-Pipe was only held on with one stud... so now, a year and a few months later, the stripped stud has been drilled out and is now replaced with a nut & bolt. It sucks, because it holds nowhere near as well as a stud would, so it still leaks and sounds like butt. Gotta get me a whole new manifold sometime :(

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Isnt that like common sence...Bottoming out is bad...DUH :headbang:

ok sorry im a little irate today

:)

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
i bottom out all the time, probably why i've gone through an entire suspension and a couple axles

·
Livers are for wusses
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i have a feeling i should get new shocks and springs eventually.. but ill hold off till i figure out if i want to spend the money now or save it and just get a new car in a little bit (i want a new car before i go to college i think)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts