Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 Xtra Cab 4WD Sport. I'm looking to run a 3" with 285/70/17. I know a lot of people are running this set-up so I'm hoping to get some feedback here.

I spend a lot of time in the desert and I'm looking to see if anyone with this set-up has experienced any clearance issues running trails. Nothing like Moab of course but definalty some more than usual angles... 0 to 60 degrees at most. I don't want to cut fenders so would anyone out there suggest running one size smaller or would you feel comfortable with this?

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
Based off of my experience at stock size and 265/75/16 I am believer that I don't want to go bigger. Granted, that is based off of crawling (mostly at Moab, albeit nothing too extreme) and not running straight forward on dunes, logging trails, or things of that nature. There are a few people around here that downsized from 285 to 265 after getting tired of clearance issues. I hope they chime in. The 285s look better, but the 265s have proven to be the right choice for me. Be more specific on exactly what kind of trails you are running and you will probably get some pretty good feedback on what to expect.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i'm running 285/70/17's on mm951's with a 2.125" ready lift. at first i had NO rubbing at all. once it all settled in it rubs a LITTLE at full lock in reverse, but nothing major at all.

on a true 3" lift i think you should be GTG, depending on your wheel and BS and all that jazz.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
^Is that on the road? What happens when you get the suspension articulating a little bit?

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I have no rub on normal driving and I have meaty tires. Rub comes hard though when the suspension starts moving. Had to trim out all the inner fender on the front. Looking to trim some of the fender soon, but for now its fine. I don't do any rocks, just mud

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Specifically... I'm gonna run XD revolvers (17x9), trails are in the western Utah and Nevada deserts so the terrain is pretty similar to Moab but nothing as extreme. I will be running a 10 ply... not that that makes a diff on clearance.

·
Registered
08 tacoma double cab
32 Posts
im runnin a 3" revtek on mine with 17x9 wheels with a 5" bs and 265/70/17 hankook mt's and i dont rub at all. even flex'd out. an idea if you dont want to trim alot....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im runnin a 3" revtek on mine with 17x9 wheels with a 5" bs and 265/70/17 hankook mt's and i dont rub at all. even flex'd out. an idea if you dont want to trim alot....
How do you like those Hankooks? Thats the tire I'm looking at. (except I'm looking for the AT instead of MT). And does it look awkward with a 3" and only 265/70?

·
Registered
08 tacoma double cab
32 Posts
How do you like those Hankooks? Thats the tire I'm looking at. (except I'm looking for the AT instead of MT). And does it look awkward with a 3" and only 265/70?
i like them so far! they tear in the snow. hopefully i'll get some better wear out of them than my stockers. they are quite on the highway and ride real well. and i dont think it looks akward at all, i think it's the perfect fit

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Niice.

Porkchop your Truck does look good with that setup.
I have a better idea of what I'm aiming for.
Thanks for sharing that pic.
You got anymore pix, maybe online?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have this exact setup...i had to do some trimming (probably a little more than i would have wanted to do) and occasionally have a little rubbing if i'm hittin' some rough stuff while turning hard, but it's not bad enough to where i regret this setup at all. I have the doublecab long bed and clearance still hasn't been a problem so since you're the extracab, i'm sure you'll be more than fine for pretty much any moderate trails/desert stuff

·
Registered
93 Posts
'08 Xtra Cab 4WD Sport. I'm looking to run a 3" with 285/70/17. I know a lot of people are running this set-up so I'm hoping to get some feedback here.

I spend a lot of time in the desert and I'm looking to see if anyone with this set-up has experienced any clearance issues running trails. Nothing like Moab of course but definalty some more than usual angles... 0 to 60 degrees at most. I don't want to cut fenders so would anyone out there suggest running one size smaller or would you feel comfortable with this?
I ran 285's when I had my 3" lift and had to trim my fender liners a lot. One side would still rub the body mount when I turned while going in reverse. I never got a chance to drive offroad with them but I bet they would have rubbed a lot. When I switched to 265's there was a lot more clearance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
After going to three alignment shops to get the alignment correct with my new LR upper arms, I can tell you this much. If your tires are rubbing the cab mount while going in reverse, just get another alignment done and have them give you more caster. This will move the whole wheel forward a little, then the tire should clear the cab mount no problem.

After they did my alignment both the first and second time, I had that same problem, I went back and said there is no way we can leave it like this because if its rubbing on the street, off road its gonna rub like a MOFO. But, those shops were incompetent in resolving the issue so I searched for another shop.

You can gain a lot of clearance by having them move the tire forward. That's what is nice about the LR arms, I can have the wheel positioned anywhere in the fender and since the upper ball joint is caster and camber adjustable, the alignment will still be in spec.

You just need to find a good reputable alignment shop the "FIRST TIME". Overall I spent about $240 on alignments, but learned a lot and finally got it the way I wanted it. I just did not want to hack the cab mount and remove most of the fender for tire clearance.

FYI: with stock control arms, I cleared the cab mount no problem.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
My experience....rub rub rub rub rub rub rub rub rub and more rub on the cab mounts. Gas Mileage sucks. I hated the rubbing so much that it ultimately led to removal and selling the 285's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well with all the feedback about the dis-advantages with this set-up, I'm gonna drop to the 265/70/17 option. But for anyone who dropped to the smaller size, would you suggest the full 3" still or just a leveling kit for the front?... I'm just trying to stay away from the original raked stance.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a set of Goodyear Silent Armors that are 275/70/17, a smidge bigger than 265, but small enough to where they clear with a small lift. I am going to be upgrading to 285s here shortly. These have only about 600 miles on them if you are interested I will sell them to you for a good deal.

Here is a pic of them:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts