Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I'm officially on my own now.

The three year 'bumper to bumper' lapsed yesterday. I still have another two years left on the powertrain but I'm hoping that my dash doesn't start lighting up like a Christmas tree with warnings, the pano doesn't crap out on me, or the seats wrinkle up like old lady skin.

I have minor grievances with how Toyota does some things but zero issues so far, knock on wood, and 19,700 miles. Let's not debate oil change intervals but I've replaced it four times so far and will again when I roll over 20,000.

Waiting/ordering a Toyota seems commonplace nowadays, not in 2019, but that's what I did. I only wanted this colour combo, red inside, with a V6. I'm not sure how it worked in the US, but in Canada there were no options once you went with the V6, it's fully loaded.

My local dealer scanned all of Canada and only one was available somewhere out west. Apparently, only about 5% of of them have a V6, I opted to order one instead, waited about three months, and thought it was hilarious that I ordered a Camry of all things.

I name my vehicles and dubbed this one Jota, like Toyota without the To, but not for that. Some Special Lamborghinis are referred to as J or Jota and I went with that name because it was special ordered just for me.

No mods, just red paddle shifters, aluminum pedal covers, armrest organizer, and all LED bulbs.

All in all, very happy with it and find they're still sharp looking whenever I see another on the road. I find it hilarious when people ask what it is and I tell them it's a Camry. Still happens even though were nearly five years with this design.

Likes: styling, red interior, glass roof, smooth engine that's always running effortlessly, just 1,700 RPM at 75 mph.

Dislikes: can't adjust interior temperature without turning the fan on first, auto climate control defaults to feet only and you can't change that to defrost the windshield without auto turning off, no AA (I caved and got an iPhone because of the car), doesn't feel like 301 HP, radar cruise is too conservative, wish the steering wheel could stay in sport mode permanently even in other drive modes.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can appreciate that the expiration of the bumper-to-bumper coverage includes concerns about something expensive blowing up shortly thereafter. However, I can say that my 2014 V6 with about 135,000km (84,000 miles) has not given me any grief, not even a safety recall. I have only had to do normal maintenance and it performs the same as it did they day I took it home. I plan on continuing to own it for many years and don't anticipate any major issues.

I also agree with your perspective on oil change intervals. My recommended interval is every 8,000km (5,000 miles) or six months. A couple of years later it jumped to 16,000km (10,000 miles) and one year. While I am sure there is logic behind the change, I consider frequent oil changes to be a relatively low cost preventative measure against premature engine wear.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dislikes: can't adjust interior temperature without turning the fan on first, auto climate control defaults to feet only and you can't change that to defrost the windshield without auto turning off, no AA (I caved and got an iPhone because of the car), doesn't feel like 301 HP, radar cruise is too conservative, wish the steering wheel could stay in sport mode permanently even in other drive modes.

1) Set your car to auto, and let it run. You will see it changes feet to face to both to what ever it needs. You simply gave it like 5 seconds and gave up? LOL
2) Doesn't feel like 300HP because 1) its FWD 2) no diffirential and 3) No wide sticky tires, all expensive stuff reserved for race cars, heck, even the base Z and Supra don't have LSD's or Slicks so...you bought a camry for almost 40 grand when you could have gotten something else that is actually quick.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers

I'm not worried about drivetrain reliability. The dealer pushed an extended warranty on me a few times until I said "This is my first Toyota. If it has any issues within five years it will also be my last Toyota." and they didn't ask again after that.

My only real concern is the moon roof, based on the number of problems I've seen in Facebook and insane cost to replace, but I am also cautious by not opening it at high speeds.

@singular9, I live in Canada and it's routinely 4 to -14F in winter. Auto stays on feet only for the entire drive to my office, 45 minutes away, all freeway.

Doesn't feel like 301 HP because Toyota neutered the horse. lol

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
The aluminum pedal covers must be neat 👍

Reactions: Aaronb91
1 - 10 of 10 Posts