Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 camry xle 4cyl auto

I can't believe this car is still going strong. I am a subcontractor and use this car as my "work truck". Toyota makes a wonderful car that can take alot of abuse. Maintenence is low on my list of priorities. Again, don't know how this car keeps doing what it does.
oil change - between 7000 and 12000 miles (not kidding)
never replaced water pump
never replaced timing belt
never serviced transmission
replaced plugs and wires one time
replaced radiator, battery, brake pads, tires, windshield washer pump, harmonic balancer, 1 cv joint

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
:welcome:

92 camry xle 4cyl auto

I can't believe this car is still going strong. I am a subcontractor and use this car as my "work truck". Toyota makes a wonderful car that can take alot of abuse. Maintenence is low on my list of priorities. Again, don't know how this car keeps doing what it does.
replaced radiator, battery, brake pads, tires, windshield washer pump, harmonic balancer, 1 cv joint
^ because it's a Toyota, that's how.:D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congratulations :thumbsup: good Toyota

Reactions: jminter

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,073 Posts
"never replaced timing belt"

Timing belt should be replaced at around 100,000 miles. Belt breaking in use is pretty friendly in terms of repair cost.

·
Registered
46 Posts
92 camry xle 4cyl auto

How many of those 300k have you accumulated?
At 300k your water pump and T belt has been changed. Trans serviced too. I promise.
Think your Toyota will run forever without service? Ha!
This car didn't get to 300k with your mindset.

EDIT; I see you've had it a while. Keep on pushin, see you in the shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many of those 300k have you accumulated?
At 300k your water pump and T belt has been changed. Trans serviced too. I promise.
Think your Toyota will run forever without service? Ha!
This car didn't get to 300k with your mindset.

EDIT; I see you've had it a while. Keep on pushin, see you in the shop.
I have accumalated 155,000 of those miles. I know the previous owner very well. He has owned it since day 1. He assures me he has never replaced water pump, timing belt, or trans serviced. And I know I haven't done any of those items. They are on my list. But probably won't get to it. I would love to get a new camry but I can't bring myself to buy a new car while this one is still breathing. I treat this car worse than anyone would treat their work truck. I fill it with products until the back bumper is dragging the ground, strap 20 ft extention ladders to its roof and scream down the beltway. I drive it on construction jobsites that would make work trucks cringe. And it just says "screw you, I'm never going to die!!!. I'm a toyota, I can take it". It is by far the best $1200 car I have ever purchased. And obviously, I know it won't last forever, especially being treated the way it is. Thanks for your comments. Sorry you don't believe me. But I don't need your approval, just my camry's. And she does....

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Camry V6
519 Posts
I just find it impossible to believe that you have gone 300K on original timing belt???
They just don't last for that long.....

·
Default User Title
Camry GEN 3
769 Posts
^1+

·
Registered
1996 Camry 5SFE 5spd
688 Posts
Welcome to the 300K club! Plan on taking mine to Chicago this weekend (530 miles one way) - you really can't kill these motors unless it runs out of oil...should last at least until 400K or more...

ANd you can ask some on this forum how I drive...but I don't want to get another DINK on my USER CP!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
If it is true.....it must run like crap. original plugs, original coolant, probably has 20lbs of sludge in the motor. The Tbelt is probably holding on by a thread. The suspension has to be the noisiest thing ever. Thats just a few things i can think of that would make it run like crap.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I call BS on the OEM timing belt and no transmission services. If those are tru you are the single luckiest human on earth. My guess is that the car was well maintained until you got it ans started neglecting the hell out of it.

·
Registered
2000 Solara
252 Posts
I call BS on the OEM timing belt and no transmission services. If those are tru you are the single luckiest human on earth. My guess is that the car was well maintained until you got it ans started neglecting the hell out of it.
our neighbors nannie has a 2000 camry - her belt broke.

Me, "hey, when did you have the belt changed last?"

Nannie, "what belt are you talking about?"

Me, "the timing belt..."

Nannie, "oh, yeah, they told me a few years ago I needed to replace that, I guess I forgot".

171,000 miles on the original belt. I was shocked it went that long...I seriously doubt 300k

1 - 20 of 45 Posts