Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma SR5 4x4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 SR5 5spd 4x4 that I just bought a couple weeks ago. The tires she's got are BFG 31x10.50s, but I want to go up to 33x12.50s. So I suppose I have a couple questions for those of you who have been working with Tacos for awhile.

1) I wanted to get the Bushwacker cut-out fender flares that open the wheel wells an extra inch, and give a good amount of coverage for the wider tires. So what kind of lift am I looking at if my intention is to make this a PRACTICAL off-roader (able to handle anything I would encounter on a bad trail, but still liveable on the street)? I don't want to put more than a 3" lift on if I can help it.

2) About these Bushwacker cut-outs. Has anyone else had any experience with them? The website shows a picture of a 97-00 Taco with the flares installed, but I can't see how the fuel door wouldn't be rendered useless. Are there any other brands that make the same kind of flare for less than $450? I am a college student, so money is precious.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
3 inches of lift are needed. Coil overs are the best option. Spacers are the cheapest. If you go with a space OME coils with a small spacer is preferable to stock coils with a big spacer.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
For a decent 3" lift that is cheap and functions well off road, I'd look into Toytec's OME coil lift up front with Alcan AAL's or shackles in the rear. They sell them as a package so you can save $$. Here's the link:
http://www.toyteclifts.com

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
On the fender flares, the main points of contact when running 33's is in the bottom rear of the front wheel arches. Other than there, 33's will fit okay without too much cutting. In fact, many people that I've heard from run 33's with a 3" lift and only the "pinch weld mod". Behind that spot in the wheel arch there is a tab of metal that's spot welded that sticks out. You can hammer that flat and cut away some of the plastic wheel surround and fit those meats with little or no rubbing then if you have proper backspacing on your wheels. I'd guess it should be around 3.5" for your setup. Personally, I'd stay away from cutting up your fenders on that new of a truck, especially when it's not really necessary. If you wanted to put on a long travel kit, it would be necessary to get fiberglass fenders, but I'm guessing that you're not looking to spend that kind of money. I'd get fender flares that don't require cutting if it were my truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts