Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody else have a v6 1997 (or similar year) tacoma with 35x12.50 tires??..my mpg is around 13...i was wondering what anyone else's mpgs were like with similar tires..any input is appreciated...i need better mpgs!!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Have you factored in the odometer understating your mileage with the bigger meats? Unless you regeared your 13mpg is low.

Not that it changes the amount of gas you use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent regeared....but yea i really dont understand the logic behind the bigger tires vs the odometer readings...are the readings higher or lower than the true mileage??...then another thing..is my speedometer reading lower or higher than what my real speed is?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i havent regeared....but yea i really dont understand the logic behind the bigger tires vs the odometer readings...are the readings higher or lower than the true mileage??...then another thing..is my speedometer reading lower or higher than what my real speed is?
Your tires are much bigger you are traveling further than your odometer is reading and your speedometer is also slower than what you are actually going.

Here is a calculator that will give you the info you need assuming you know what the stock tire size were.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Enter the stock size and then enter the 35/12.5 tire below in the compare side in the "additional size area.

I just punched in 245/75/16 compared to 35/12.5/15 and it says when your speedometer is saying 52.1 you are actually going 60. The trucks odometer thinks you traveled 95 inches per revolution when you actually traveled 110 inches.

The speedometer difference is 15% slow and the odometer difference is also 15% low.

So if you are getting 13mpg multiply that by 1.15 for your real mpg of 15mpg.

Punch your numbers and then you can feel a little better about your trucks mpg.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i went to that site and punched in the info....it said the speedometer difference is 23% too low and the diameter difference is 19%...so if i had stock tires going 60 mph, with the 35s it would read 48 mph...i realize its a drastic tire size increase but i doubt it has that much effect...when im goin 60mph and keeping up with the speed limit and traffic..im really only goin 50mph??..it doesnt sound right

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
so i went to that site and punched in the info....it said the speedometer difference is 23% too low and the diameter difference is 19%...so if i had stock tires going 60 mph, with the 35s it would read 48 mph...i realize its a drastic tire size increase but i doubt it has that much effect...when im goin 60mph and keeping up with the speed limit and traffic..im really only goin 50mph??..it doesnt sound right
Did you add the tires or was it done before you, it could have been regeared. But you have it backwards, when your speedometer says you are going 60 you are really going 74, that could be right. When your speedometer says 48 you are really going 60.

There is always the old drive 10 miles down the road and see how your odometer compares with the mileage markers.

Unfortunately either way 6 inches of lift and 35s are going to make good mpg impossible.

Just curious what were the stock tires, they must have been tiny, i figured 245/75/16 was a good guess?

·
Registered
199 Posts
anybody else have a v6 1997 (or similar year) tacoma with 35x12.50 tires??..my mpg is around 13...i was wondering what anyone else's mpgs were like with similar tires..any input is appreciated...i need better mpgs!!!

UH...are you serious....first off??

Get rid of the tires and lift....uh then basically if you are concerned about mileage...why drive a 4WD truck?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
yea worthy ur right bout mph.....if my speedometer reads 48 im really going 60 i get it now but it still seems high....but i had the lifts done and it wasn't regeared..the original tire size for my truck was 225/75R15...the new tires dwarf the old ones...and btw kevin, get rid of the lift and tires = not an option....id keep my set-up if i only got 8 mpgs

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
8 MPG on a compact pickup would suck considering my old work truck got more than that with a 466 cu in motor.

·
Registered
199 Posts
yea worthy ur right bout mph.....if my speedometer reads 48 im really going 60 i get it now but it still seems high....but i had the lifts done and it wasn't regeared..the original tire size for my truck was 225/75R15...the new tires dwarf the old ones...and btw kevin, get rid of the lift and tires = not an option....id keep my set-up if i only got 8 mpgs

No, its just funny everyone ive ever known with a truck lifted and big tires, loved it for a while then realized it went a lot slower, got bad gas mileage, didnt handle good really, and was a pain to load anything into. It became only the showoff factor after a while, then that goes away after a while then trade in time comes and no one wants a modified truck. A lot of guys I know..ended up going BACK to stock stuff after a few years, realizing it was a waste of money in the end.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,952 Posts
Did you add the tires or was it done before you, it could have been regeared. But you have it backwards, when your speedometer says you are going 60 you are really going 74, that could be right. When your speedometer says 48 you are really going 60.

There is always the old drive 10 miles down the road and see how your odometer compares with the mileage markers.
Just use a GPS to check your speed. :facepalm:

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
technically, if you were going 40mph landspeed with the taller 35's, no acceleration, your truck should be doing lower RPM's, but still going 40mph, so theoretically you're saving some gas.

idk, just regear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Kevin....all the guys that I know know would never get rid of their livetd truck. That said if you combine the two groups half actuallu need something different than what they did to their trucks. i have one truck lifted 4 inches and am going to addd another 2 inches with some 315/75/16 BFGs Ivwe had it for yeaqrs and I have no issues with hight. I also have a stock 85 4x4 with a shell on it, I like the cap but I think Im going to life this truck too. The crowd we run with have different tastes and your group must tend to go back to the start while my group is content with changes they made...we wheel out here in Arizona a lot so maybe thats the difference.

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
I just bought an 04 tacoma 5 speed 4 cyl with a 6 inch lift and 315/75/R16 tires. And while driving my speedometer is only off by 3 - 4 mph, so if im going 40mph im realy going 43 or 44 mph. Now im not sure if the truck was re-geared or not but mine is definatly not off by 9 mph and im defiantly not getting 13 mph.

Also what is 315/75/R16 come out to? 33in or 34in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts