Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 tercel coupe automatic 240xxxK

Car left me stranded for the first time today, luckily it was just down the street from my house!
I'll start by telling you some things that have been acting up:

Something has been squealing pretty bad on start up, I believe it's the alternator belt, or it could be coming from the timing belt area?

When I shift into D after starting up my heater fans die, but if I tap about the fuses in the fuse box while driving the fans will come back and stay working until I park again

As I was driving home today the car died on me in the middle of the road, luckily I got to the side and put on my hazards. I then restarted the car and continued to drive home. it then happened to me again. and a final time when it just wouldn't start again. so I pushed her the rest of the way home :(

when I try to start it, it will crank and some cylinders will fire but not enough to get it started

could it be my alternator fuse? I looked at it through the plastic and it looks a little darkened and warped, I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow.
I took out the battery and I will leave it to charge over night.

any help is really appreciated! I really want my yota back :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took out the first 2 spark plugs and cleaned them up, they were a little corroded

now it starts but dies within 10 seconds, it dies right away when I give it gas.

any ideas? :(

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad connection in your fusebox. Check your wire harness connections there and apply some dielectric grease (spark plug grease) to the connectors if they look at all corroded. You can also use the dielectric grease where the fuses plug in if there's corrosion or loose connections. Check the fuse box in the engine compartment for any blown fuses too.

I would replace the spark plugs if they are at all corroded looking. Plug wires and distributor cap/rotor too if they haven't been replaced in a while and the above stuff doesn't fix it.

EDIT: Check the relays too. Fuel pump and heater fan both use them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply

I did end up getting it running it needed more gas (dur!)
I think the fact that I had only 1/4 tank might not have been putting enough pressure through my probably semi clogged fuel filter.

it is running but poorly :( when I got it the guy I bought it from said that the rotor/cap was just replaced. for some reason spark plug 1 got reallly corroded bad it actually looks a bit melted. so I took it out, cleaned it and switched it with number 2 plug which looked fine. now the plug in #1 spot is starting to go bad just like the other one. I am going to replace them all soon so I will post a picture when I take it out. but I dont want to get new plugs just to have them melted again. what could be doing this?

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
Sounds like something is wrong with cylinder #1. This will help you figure out what your spark plug condition means:

http://www.autohausaz.com/html/spark-plugs_spark-plug-wires.html

edit: I'd test the alternator too. Bad voltage regulators can play hell with engine electronics. If it won't make it to a parts store, then you can do a partial test with a volt meter. The terminals of the battery should read over 13 volts at idle and over 14 volts when revving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts