Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off some pin stripes off the front left bumper, and while i was at wal-mart tonight, i saw the 3m adhesive remover, and decided to buy it along with a megs. polish and buffing machine :D.... so anyway, i sprayed it on there, waited a couple minutes like it said, and rubbed it off, and it was still there.... :confused: i did it a few more times, and it looked the same.... ?!?!! :disappoin .... but then again its like 43 degrees outside, would that screw the whole process up?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Just use Acetone, or an even harsher cleaner like a deglosser. Be careful though, all of the good deglossers have the funs tuff like:
2 Petroleum Distillates, Toluene, Acetone, 2 Alchohols, Gycol Ether and Xylene.

It's a great mixture for seeping in your skin and causing cancer while you're passed out from the fumes and caught on fire!

If you're really cheap and don't wanna use rubbing alchohol (and have it take forever) most of the more powerful(but not European) bug and tar removers are nearly 90% kerosene or toluene based.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have had great success with lepage brand and goo gone. If it is evaporating too fast, you could try covering it with saran wrap to give it a chance to work.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I would be real careful with using acetone, you could see your paint strip, especially if you had an inexpensive paint job done. Is the glue still tacky or has it hardened into dinosaur shit?
I have used gasoline successfully too. Just keep dabbing it on to keep the glue damp and fingernail it. Actually, I have heard of plastic spatulas doing a good job. Best of luck..and no smoke breaks on the job.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, when the sun light hits it, it looks normal, but when its in the shade, looking at it from an angle, theres little bits of it in a strip still on the paint....

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i tried orange clean wood cleaner (stuff works good at taking stickers and other adhesives off), and it didnt do much for it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
pin striping

dude i had pin striping on my whole car, i peeled it off with my thumb nails and used my drivers lisence to scrape some of it off, then i used this stuff called BugTar, put a little on a tooth brush, scrubbed where there gooey shit was, then whiped it with a cotton rag and it came right off. Try it out

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Yeah I've used that Bug & tar b4. It seems to work for a lot of things. You can maybe try that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts