Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, first post. Just found this board, and it looks mighty active with some knowledgeable folks...glad to be aboard!

I just purchased a '90 4Runner and it is just a tad rusty. I plan on fiber sheeting the rust and covering it with something I came across on the Cabela's website, but cannot find elsewhere. I know it is only 70 beans, but as you will read below, it would sure help if you guys could help me find either the 3M cheaper, or possibly a semi-off brand that one of you has used and trust. The manufacturer is Pacer Performance.

I will paste their description to better help you understand what I am talking about:

Rocker Panel Side Moldings
Protect the lower side panels of your truck or SUV and add a distinctive, custom look with these vinyl side moldings. They keep gravel, mud, tar and water from ruining your truck's finish and helps cover previously damaged areas. Installs securely and easily with 3M® tape adhesive. The ribbed design fits most vehicle's contours and can be trimmed with a sharp blade to fit around doors and wheel wells. Can also be used to protect truck beds or side panels. Comes in a 20-foot roll.

I need to spend as little on my 4Runner as possible at this point, because I've already put 3X in it what I thought it would need when we bought it last week. Yes, I am writing this from the computer in the basement...it is also where I have been sleeping for the past couple days! :rolleyes:

I have to admit, I kinda made this rig out to be the deal of the century when I knew I would have to throw brakes/rotors/shocks on it right from the get-go....so I didn't exactly tell my wife the entire story...is that wrong?!?!?!? ;)

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
MN4Runner said:
I have to admit, I kinda made this rig out to be the deal of the century when I knew I would have to throw brakes/rotors/shocks on it right from the get-go....so I didn't exactly tell my wife the entire story...is that wrong?!?!?!? ;)
Thats not wrong... thats just knowing your wife ;)

As for the rust issue... your not actually stopping it in any way by covering it, the thing with rust is, it causes more rust. I could go into the chemistry behind it but that would just bore you to tears..

I suggest going and getting a can of kill-rust, coating the rusty areas with it, then touching it up with touch-up paint. Then you can do what you want with it and not have to worry about the rust getting worse, which it will if left alone.

*edit* If you had enough cash i would suggest stripping it, coating the body in rust preventitive paint and then priming and painting like normal. Thats how i did my 'rolla when i re-sprayed it a few years back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts