Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned the throttle body on my 2005 SE last week, it has the 3.3L 3MZ-FE. I removed it from the intake plenum so I could get to both sides but did NOT remove the coolant lines or negative battery terminal (so I could open it electrically.) Replaced the gasket with a new one. I got a fair amount of carbon out of the thing, but not overly excessive. This is the second time I've cleaned it and now I have 89K miles on the car.

One BIG noticeable change is that upon startup, the RPMs go right up to 1800! After it warms up and throttles down, the RPMs are right where they should be, right around 700 or a little less. I realize that startup is a huge wear point on an engine and never noticed the RPMs being that high on startup before, so I am a little concerned.

Anybody else out there with a 3MZ-FE, can you tell me what your initial RPMs are upon startup?

·
Registered
225 Posts
You gotta disconnect the battery to reset the learned compensation on the throttle. It should theoretically relearn it on its own eventually but if you cleaned it, resetting it to default will clear that right up.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,766 Posts
You gotta disconnect the battery to reset the learned compensation on the throttle. It should theoretically relearn it on its own eventually but if you cleaned it, resetting it to default will clear that right up.
My Camry V6 start-up RPM goes to 2000 but immediately goes to 1600 or so. Nothing I have tried has reset the RPM to 1600 or 1800.:frown::frown:

·
Registered
225 Posts
My V6 goes up to 1300 or so when it first starts and then rapidly drops to normal over the course of 10-20 seconds usually, something about warming up the engine and getting the oil circulating I think. Most drive by wire cars seem to do something similar.

If the throttle is dirty and you clean it, your idle rpms will be higher than they should though, even if the start up spike happens.

If you’re really concerned about wear, you could always throw some 0w20 AFE or similar in, I knew the maintenance history of my engine and didn’t get any leaks but YMMV, and there’s also tons of factors to consider when switching oils

·
Registered
2005 Camry SE V6
68 Posts
I cleaned the throttle body on my 2005 SE last week, it has the 3.3L 3MZ-FE. I removed it from the intake plenum so I could get to both sides but did NOT remove the coolant lines or negative battery terminal (so I could open it electrically.) Replaced the gasket with a new one. I got a fair amount of carbon out of the thing, but not overly excessive. This is the second time I've cleaned it and now I have 89K miles on the car.

One BIG noticeable change is that upon startup, the RPMs go right up to 1800! After it warms up and throttles down, the RPMs are right where they should be, right around 700 or a little less. I realize that startup is a huge wear point on an engine and never noticed the RPMs being that high on startup before, so I am a little concerned.

Anybody else out there with a 3MZ-FE, can you tell me what your initial RPMs are upon startup?
Brian, I have the same car as yours. Just saw your post and would like to share my experience.

I bought my car new and for the longest time, my start-up rpm was around 500 to 600 (sorry can't remember the exact number). That rpm number changed when I had the timing belt and water pump replaced (both Denso parts) back in 2019. Not sure if the mechanic did a good job since he didn't use a torque wrench and broke a bolt in the process. Afterward my start-up rpm was at 2,000. After warming up, rpm went down to between 1,000 to 1,200 (in that range). This summer, I decided to clean the throttle body. Took the car out for a spin after cleaning and the rpm was out of wack. At full stop, rpm was swinging between 1,500 and 2,000 which freaked me out a bit. Drove back home and did the idle reset / relearn procedure. Now the rpm is around 750 to 800 after warming up however the start-up rpm still jumps to 2,000....

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,766 Posts
Over sixteen years, my 04 V6 start-up idle has gone from fifteen hundred to just under two thousand. Induction system is clean and no vacuum leaks have been detected. Also battery replacement did not affect the start-up RPM.

·
Registered
2005 Camry SE V6
68 Posts
Over sixteen years, my 04 V6 start-up idle has gone from fifteen hundred to just under two thousand. Induction system is clean and no vacuum leaks have been detected. Also battery replacement did not affect the start-up RPM.
It just bugs me out that prior to having the timing belt and water pump changed, my car ran perfect with rpm at around 500 to 600 for almost 15 years. I agree battery replacement did not affect the start-up rpm since I did replaced mine a few years back and without doing any reset.

Seems to me that doing the idle reset / re-learn procedure will bring the rpm to around 1,000 which I've done 3 times so far. Why wouldn't by default after the reset bring it back to the original rpm like when new which was in the 500 to 600 range?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m a noob here but I’ll say that my 1MZ FE V6 now starts and idles at lower RPM than before

what I did:
Wynns Catalytic Converter and Lambda cleaner
Wynns fuel injector cleaner
MAF sensor clean with MAF sensor cleaner
Throttle body cleaned
Disconnected battery for 10-20 minutes at the end of everything to “reset” any computers.

Take with a grain of salt, this worked for me and may not work for your 3MZ engines

edit; next on the list for me is to change PCV valve and pcv valve gasket. I've been thinking about giving my Camry the Seafoam treatment. So far without pcv and seafoam, I've been hitting 21mpg around the city and 35mpg at 60-70mph speeds :unsure: always looking to improve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts