Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i just bought a 93 lx and the prob im having is when i shift into 3rd gear it grinds ans sometimes it goes in sometimes it doesnt but after it goes in it will pop back out on its own its a 1.8l with a 5 spd thanks in advance for ant insight

G

·
93YotaRollawv said:
Hello i just bought a 93 lx and the prob im having is when i shift into 3rd gear it grinds ans sometimes it goes in sometimes it doesnt but after it goes in it will pop back out on its own its a 1.8l with a 5 spd thanks in advance for ant insight
time for a rebuild. either that or dont use third. you can try the magic gm synchromesh but i dont think it will help the popping problem. synchros sound to far gone.

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
How much for a second hand gearbox?
They are about NZ$100 over here,
a $500+ rebuild just makes no sense if you could buy 5 gearboxes for that price.

G

·
punter said:
a $500+ rebuild just makes no sense if you could buy 5 gearboxes for that price.
5 second hand gear boxes with the possibility for one or two or all to be bad ;) or one excellent rebuild. I'd go with excellence over possibility. but price wise your right, a second hand one isnt a bad idea, and is a lot cheaper.

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
ghost_ryder35 said:
5 second hand gear boxes with the possibility for one or two or all to be bad ;) or one excellent rebuild. I'd go with excellence over possibility. but price wise your right, a second hand one isnt a bad idea, and is a lot cheaper.
You serious??

I've done 7 trackdays and numerous motokhana / grasskhana events and about 6 months of daily driving (approx 25,000km) on my gearbox, which crunches really bad into 3rd and a bit into 2nd.

The problem hasn't gotten any worse, and apart from the noise the gearbox opperates perfectly. I just can't understand spending any money on the problem.

I'm just going to wait till it expoldes (or bearings start whining) and swap in my NZ$100 (about US$50) gearbox. Then just repeat as required.

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 C series gearboxes that have failed, and both were in turbo applications. (excluding the LSD c160 boxes which just expode randomly)
These boxes are very over enginered.

G

·
punter said:
You serious??

I've done 7 trackdays and numerous motokhana / grasskhana events and about 6 months of daily driving (approx 25,000km) on my gearbox, which crunches really bad into 3rd and a bit into 2nd.

The problem hasn't gotten any worse, and apart from the noise the gearbox opperates perfectly. I just can't understand spending any money on the problem.

I'm just going to wait till it expoldes (or bearings start whining) and swap in my NZ$100 (about US$50) gearbox. Then just repeat as required.

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 C series gearboxes that have failed, and both were in turbo applications. (excluding the LSD c160 boxes which just expode randomly)
These boxes are very over enginered.
personal experience, personal choice.

·
Registered
778 Posts
punter said:
Hey Punter,
Depending on where you buy from, gearboxes may be cheaper in NZ than they are in the states.

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
diver9000 said:
Hey Punter,
Depending on where you buy from, gearboxes may be cheaper in NZ than they are in the states.
Probably true, we do have an abundance of jap imports.

NZ$4500 ST205 anyone.

/OT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts