Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i just bought a 93 lx and the prob im having is when i shift into 3rd gear it grinds ans sometimes it goes in sometimes it doesnt but after it goes in it will pop back out on its own its a 1.8l with a 5 spd thanks in advance for ant insight
 
G

·
93YotaRollawv said:
Hello i just bought a 93 lx and the prob im having is when i shift into 3rd gear it grinds ans sometimes it goes in sometimes it doesnt but after it goes in it will pop back out on its own its a 1.8l with a 5 spd thanks in advance for ant insight
time for a rebuild. either that or dont use third. you can try the magic gm synchromesh but i dont think it will help the popping problem. synchros sound to far gone.
 

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
How much for a second hand gearbox?
They are about NZ$100 over here,
a $500+ rebuild just makes no sense if you could buy 5 gearboxes for that price.
 
G

·
punter said:
How much for a second hand gearbox?
They are about NZ$100 over here,
a $500+ rebuild just makes no sense if you could buy 5 gearboxes for that price.
5 second hand gear boxes with the possibility for one or two or all to be bad ;) or one excellent rebuild. I'd go with excellence over possibility. but price wise your right, a second hand one isnt a bad idea, and is a lot cheaper.
 

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
ghost_ryder35 said:
5 second hand gear boxes with the possibility for one or two or all to be bad ;) or one excellent rebuild. I'd go with excellence over possibility. but price wise your right, a second hand one isnt a bad idea, and is a lot cheaper.
You serious??

I've done 7 trackdays and numerous motokhana / grasskhana events and about 6 months of daily driving (approx 25,000km) on my gearbox, which crunches really bad into 3rd and a bit into 2nd.

The problem hasn't gotten any worse, and apart from the noise the gearbox opperates perfectly. I just can't understand spending any money on the problem.

I'm just going to wait till it expoldes (or bearings start whining) and swap in my NZ$100 (about US$50) gearbox. Then just repeat as required.

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 C series gearboxes that have failed, and both were in turbo applications. (excluding the LSD c160 boxes which just expode randomly)
These boxes are very over enginered.
 
G

·
punter said:
You serious??

I've done 7 trackdays and numerous motokhana / grasskhana events and about 6 months of daily driving (approx 25,000km) on my gearbox, which crunches really bad into 3rd and a bit into 2nd.

The problem hasn't gotten any worse, and apart from the noise the gearbox opperates perfectly. I just can't understand spending any money on the problem.

I'm just going to wait till it expoldes (or bearings start whining) and swap in my NZ$100 (about US$50) gearbox. Then just repeat as required.

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 C series gearboxes that have failed, and both were in turbo applications. (excluding the LSD c160 boxes which just expode randomly)
These boxes are very over enginered.
personal experience, personal choice.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top