Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
834 Posts
the OEM intake IS a cold air intake (it gathers air from the front of the grille)

Generally, that term is used to mean "no noise reduction" (which is what those "goiters" on the stock intake are for) and "minimal filtering" (which is what a K&N filter is).

You can make your own by removing the entire intake tract, and then fit the biggest cone filter that you can fit under the hood. The engine probably won't produce any more power (typically "CAI" don't provide meaningful differences in power, a few hp here and there, up or down), but they do make a lot more noise, which sounds powerful (their real selling point).

In answer to your original question, there is so little aftermarket that was ever developed for the Gen3 Camry (and all Camrys, in general), that I wouldn't be surprised if there never was one offered by anybody. One place to look would be MR2 forums, where they have used the 3VZ and the 1MZ V6 engines to soup them up for years. A lot of great knowhow there to tap into.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep, you'll have to go custom now, ages back there was a cold air intake from some company starting with A, AES or AIC...can't remember, some three letter agency starting with A. I don't know where Toysrme is now especially since he's apparently banned from here but his guide on tuning the 3VZ is what got me to tweak my own 3rd gen Camry. Especially after the bit that said these engines run rich from the factory, and you don't need aftermarket parts to get an extra 7 kW/10 HP out of the engine.

I'm not sure if the stock intake is cold though...it sucks air through the fender but I'm not sure if that air actually passes through the radiator but if it did, it's carrying the heat from the radiator although the distance between the radiator and the mouth of the intake might be enough to cool it down somewhat, maybe even back to ambient air temps.

It's worth noting that his guide mentions cold air intakes doing nothing, it's only if you care about the sound:
In conclusion:
Free Tuning = should always be done.
Intake = nothing but sound + bling
Exhaust = nothing but sound + bling, but muffler only sounds like ass
Y-pipe/Merge = very important to mid/peak power
Cat = good thing to get rid of
Headers = Useless & horribly expensive
Cams = Useless to fundamental 3vz-fe philosphy & horribly expensive
Advanced Piggyback = great investment
Porting & Polishing = a bar none must have at some point for any setup
That guide doesn't mention anything about exhaust, but the MR2 wiki says that an ideal exhaust pipe size is 2 inch pre merge, 2.5 inch post-merge. Minimum 2.25 inch post merge. Also get the Y pipe to have a smooth bend instead of the crap T-bend the stock one has. Apparently the that T-bend also has a little bit of curved metal with holes in it to help the exhaust gas flow smoother, but that also ends up further choking the flow.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
834 Posts
"I'm not sure if the stock intake is cold though"

Here is a photo of the 3VZ intake, it is located just below the left headlight (it then routes down into the resonator in the fender, and then re-enters the engine room behind the battery)

Top view:

I think its about as cold as we can get, without a refrigerator. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
For some reason I always think the intake mouth is behind and to the right of the radiator (when looking towards the vehicle), I keep forgetting just how tucked away it is.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What year is your Camry? If it's a 93 or earlier with a 3VZ, then the above applies.
If you have a 94-96, or an inline 4 engine, then adding a CAI will take HP away from your engine. Neither the 5S-FE or 1MZ-FE get any benefits from altering the intake system. You're not going to get any extra horsepower from either of those engines unless you have a lot of money to go boosted.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In answer to your original question, there is so little aftermarket that was ever developed for the Gen3 Camry (and all Camrys, in general), that I wouldn't be surprised if there never was one offered by anybody. One place to look would be MR2 forums, where they have used the 3VZ and the 1MZ V6 engines to soup them up for years. A lot of great knowhow there to tap into.
There are ones for the 4th gen, but they do dick all but make the engine sound slightly louder.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What year is your Camry? If it's a 93 or earlier with a 3VZ, then the above applies.
If you have a 94-96, or an inline 4 engine, then adding a CAI will take HP away from your engine. Neither the 5S-FE or 1MZ-FE get any benefits from altering the intake system. You're not going to get any extra horsepower from either of those engines unless you have a lot of money to go boosted.
Mine's a 3VZ, I just wasn't able to look at the engine bay since it was midnight at the time I posted my last comment. Same thing toysrme says too regarding intakes:

Intake's make no power. This CAN NOT be said enough. I have tested multiple versions, filtered & filterless of EVERY possible intake style. Stock, Stock + K&N, Stock - ISR, Stock + cheesehole, CAI's, Dual CAI's, Ram air, Dual Ram air, open air, AFM only, 3" pipe AFM open.
Even the uberest intake of them all. The AFM bypass. (That's where you cut a 2" hole in front of the throttlebody to introduce a massive vacuum leak then tune it to run with a piggyback. As rpm rise, exponentially more air bypasses the AFM)
You can't make, or loose 5hp at the flywheel off any intake. You will, however, sound like the biggest, PISSED OFF Porche ever made over 5000rpm. It's incredible over 6000.
It's a bonus for me since I've always been a fan of sleeper builds. Also the number of people (including my bro) who have asked me why I want to get performance parts for a camry lol. I just tell them the stock engine in this grocery getter is good for 600 horses then give them a wink, mind you for now I'm keeping things NA. I'm just not sure if 2 inch improved Y pipe and 2.5 inch post-cat pipe will make it louder though, I prefer to keep as close to stock sounding as possible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Fair enough...cone filter I guess? Cold air intake might be a bit overkill if you just want it to sound better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Im not looking for more power since i got the 4cylinder engine in my 94camry. I just want it to sound a bit better
Better is subjective. A 4 cyl with a fart pipe exhaust isn't everyone's cup of tea. Quiter inside makes the tunes sound better.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im not looking for more power since i got the 4cylinder engine in my 94camry. I just want it to sound a bit better
The 5S-FE doens't sound very good period IMHO. If you have a 1MZ-FE, then things might be different.
For example, this person in addition to a CAI, also did a straight pipe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts