Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They never started. Mine leaks not. What did you do, read a dozen posts on an internet forum and conclude that a few hundred thousand HL's leak oil?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ so there's ONE post on an internet forum out of a few hundred thousand sold. have a cookie.
The post shows multiple people with oil leaks that are related to the timing belt cover. This happened with a 2015 (with 106k miles) I was about to buy and noticed an oil leak so had Toyota dealership diagnose. It is a 2-3k repair that requires removing the engine.
Not everyone who has experienced the problem will report on a forum.

·
Limited
1,482 Posts
^ "multiple people". lol. do you even know how many Gen 3 Highlanders have been sold? figure that out, then tell me if you are still worried about it.

and yes, more than likely, they will report on a forum actually. most find forums when they have an issue. well, except for those that want to know which Chinese brand led bulb on ebay is best.
seriously, figure out how many HLs were made, then work backwards. ask yourself if it is such a big problem, why does HL have a great rating and resale value and no recall for the oil leaks.

i wouldn't worry about orange can fram oil filters, in case you are wondering. i know there are lots of "my buddy's engine blew up because he had a orange can fram with cardboard end caps" thread on the internet. no proof, but one hell of a lot of noise.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The post shows multiple people with oil leaks that are related to the timing belt cover. This happened with a 2015 (with 106k miles) I was about to buy and noticed an oil leak so had Toyota dealership diagnose. It is a 2-3k repair that requires removing the engine.
"Timing Belt Cover"????? I thought the 3rd gen HL V6 engines are with Timing "Chain"... Huh?

BTW, mine is a later in the year 2016 Toyota Highlander V6 3.5L, after seeing this thread, I physically drove my HL on a ramp and checked very carefully from top to left/right then bottom, "highlander research", I found quite a bit of oil inside the engine, but not a wet-spot/drop outside around the engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Never has a prob with my 2016. Have yet to lose a drop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
^ "multiple people". lol. do you even know how many Gen 3 Highlanders have been sold? figure that out, then tell me if you are still worried about it..

i wouldn't worry about orange can fram oil filters, in case you are wondering. i know there are lots of "my buddy's engine blew up because he had an orange can fram with cardboard end caps" thread on the internet. no proof, but one hell of a lot of noise.
I'm sure a few Highlanders might have developed oil leaks, but more than a few have been driven down dirt roads with lots of backcountry grit. So 20 out of almost 1,000,000 vehicles. Yep, it happens. I did happen to my FJ60 with a faithful six. 480,000 miles and the damn timing chain cover seal leaked. Those darn Toyota's! <grin>

Oil Filters: For Aircraft, I have a nifty tool to open the cans. Aircraft Spruce sells them. Every filter I spun off, take it apart and inspect the elements. Best built filters are Wix. The Frams, uh I just didn't use them. Occasionally got cars in with a Fram and check valves were faulty (lets oil drain back into the sump, takes longer to get oil flowing). Modern Synthetic oils are fantastic. Stil,l spend the extra money for a Wix Gold filter (Napa sells them as their house brand). Sigh, new cars don't use those metal cans anymore.

Tip for replacing the canister style filter housing, by FINGER spin the housing reverse direction. You will feel a click (thread matched) now spin forward. It's easy to mess up those threads changing your own oil. Still, with those open elements, take time to spread out the element and inspect them. I'll do this about every fourth oil change (20,000 miles) as a sanity check, but the V6 is good for 200,000 miles. Used Toyota, poor maintenance take their toll, one reason I like doing this as part of a used vehicle inspection. I'm old school and too old to be doing this other than for friends these days (takes about three hours to do a full inspection). Sigh, most people on this forum won't get my user name.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
FJ60Guy
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing