Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I purchased a 2016 XLE back in October of 2016. It currently has 136k miles on it. I've changed the oil every 5k, Had the 1st radiator flush at 102k and was going to have it also tuned up at 100k but the dealer informed me if it running OK wait another 30k and that was just done.
My question is, since the vehicle is getting older should I just drain and replace those fluids instead of flushing. Also, would i also need to change the brake fluid and or any other fluids. With the exception of the radiator I've never flushed anything on 4 previous Toyota vehicles in 30 years and got well over 200K on each. We may have been fortunate or extremely lucky but with the rising costs of new vehicles these days i figured to be a little more preventative these days.
Thanks....

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
Yes, it would be a good idea to replace all the fluids at this point, despite what the recommended maintenance guide might say. I'm not familiar with the Gen3 Highlander, so some of these may not apply...
  • Brake fluid
  • Power steering, if it's still the older system. If electric, then obviously not
  • Transfer case, if it has one.
The transmission may not be so easy for a DIY'er, if it has the "sealed" unit that's becoming more prevalent. Those don't have a dipstick, and therefore require a special tool that screws into the drain plug hole. And you have to know the fluid temperature by connecting to the ECU and use Toyota's Techstream to get it. So that's a job I'd take to a dealership, rather than fork over all the $ required to do it myself one time, most likely. Now, if you have other uses for Techstream, it might make sense for you to get it.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
You do have a lot of miles for a 2016...but 136k miles is not extreme.

Had the 1st radiator flush at 102k and was going to have it also tuned up at 100k but the dealer informed me if it running OK wait another 30k and that was just done.
Ever 3-4 years is a good rule of thumb for Radiator. I don't flush it anymore. I take it to a place to have it exchanged. This is far better for the environment then a flush.

Brake fluid - good to exchange every couple years. This is a simple DIY job.

Tranny fluid - Drain the pan, then drop pan and replace filter. Every 50k miles is good.

Other fluids is Differential gear oil.

Also consider replacing the PS fluid.

Since 1987 my wife and I have owned 5 previous vehicles (1987 Accord, 1996 Accord, 1990 Pathfinder, 1998 Pathfinder and 2005 4Runner) with well over 300k miles.Two (1996 Accord and 1998 Pathfinder) went over 400k miles before we sold or gave them away. One of those (1998 Pathfinder) went past 500k miles before it was junked.

The best thing you can do to keep a vehicle a long time is fluid replacement. At a minimum change them according to the owners manual. Sooner or more frequent is fine too.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My 2016 XLE has electrical power steering, no maintenance there.

As for the spark plugs, those back 3 facing the firewall are the challenge ones, but, the dealer should have all the right sized tools can reach from the bottom up.

Anything else (I assume you have been changing the air & cabin filter), I would consider give the throttle body (only force open the butterfly valve by depressing the gas paddle, Not manually flip open the valve) and MAF sensor a cleaning if never been done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Before you change fluids, do test old brake fluid and coolant. I found brake fluid doesn't necessarily be change every 3 years. It depends on humility, temperature, and whether there are any leakage. Since your mileage is high, I would assume you drive a lot of highway miles. Highway driving puts a lot less stress on the engine, transmission and brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts