Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Excited to finally pickup my 17 XLE yesterday - straight from the factory after waiting almost 3 weeks!

However, when we were trying to access the 3rd row - noticed something not working.. when I pull the lever (1) that tilts the middle seat forward, the seats do not slide automatically forward to get access to the 3rd row. I have to manually use the seat adjustment lever at the bottom of seat to slide the 2nd row seat forward and have access to 3rd row. Even when using the lever on the side of the 2nd row seat for the 3rd row occupant to get out easily themselves- again it only tilts the seat forward but does not allow the 3rd row occupant to push the seat forward themselves to get out without someone already outside to manually use the lever at the bottom of the seat to slide the seat forward.

Anyone else have this issue??

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.. I will check again but i remember that it was tilted forward to the max without using force and the slide was still locked and seat wouldnt move forward.

No issue here. Make sure the seat back is forward enough to unlock the slides.

·
Banned
500 Posts
On my 2016 bench seat, the long lever on the side of the seat cushion (1st diagram in your attachment) flips the seatback forward, and then I can easily slide the entire seat forward for access to the 3rd row. You may want to check the seat rails to see if there is some debris in the rails preventing it from easily sliding forward.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Either of the two levers in the attached diagram should tilt the seat-back forward about 45 degrees and immediately loosen the seat so that it can easily slide forward and back. Are both of your captains chairs not working? That would definitely be a safety problem if it's not working right because the 3rd seat passengers can't get out without assistance. If the other handle is pulled and seat-back is pushed 90 degrees(flat) then the seat does not move once it is locked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your replies. Driver side has this issue but the passenger side works as expected. I will take it back to the dealer right after the holiday monday and see what they say or how they will fix it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
.... when I pull the lever (1) that tilts the middle seat forward, the seats do not slide automatically forward to get access to the 3rd row...
Likewise with rockett1021, my 2016 HL 2nd row (60/40) bench seat moves forward without any issue. However, when it was brand new, I did find the driver-side (60) a little less agile than the passenger-side (40); however after a few uses they are equally smooth. A little experience/trick to share, when mine was brand new I found using the seat-back tipping foward momentum helps to assist/trigger the seat in moving/rolling forward... Perhaps being too gentle is not helping until after a few uses (tracks are broken-in). :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried to throw my 170+lb weight to slide the 2nd row (driver side) bench seat forward after tilting - didn't work..

What I did notice that was interesting is that with this 'broken' drive side bench (40), when sliding back, it does not slide all the way to the back of the track (stops maybe a 2-3 inches early) unlike the 'working' passenger side bench. I prefer this so as to minimize the risk of crushing any toes/feet of 3rd row occupant. It gives the 3rd row occupant more leg/feet room by 'default' while still giving 2nd row occupants option to slide it back more if required.

Likewise with rockett1021, my 2016 HL 2nd row (60/40) bench seat moves forward without any issue. However, when it was brand new, I did find the driver-side (60) a little less agile than the passenger-side (40); however after a few uses they are equally smooth. A little experience/trick to share, when mine was brand new I found using the seat-back tipping foward momentum helps to assist/trigger the seat in moving/rolling forward... Perhaps being too gentle is not helping until after a few uses (tracks are broken-in). :wink:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Anyone have any idea? Would it be just a cable that came loose or snapped? Thanks for any help.
Not quite sure which post you were referring to having the same exact "problem" (anything broke or just not moving as smoothly as it was - if anything broke, that lever/handle when pulled should give you almost no resistance and likely will not spring back either....)??

Have you been using the 2nd row seats regularly since 2014? In addition to the seat & seat-back movements which are indeed controlled by different "Control Cables", you may want to also make sure the hinges/joints and tracks are lubricated in the "problem" is related to a lack of smooth movement ... Cable wise, if any has "snapped", you should feel a lack of (or much reduced in) resistance when pulling on the handle(s), as for coming loose, I don't believe there is any cable adjustment unless some component(s) is bent (just a guess). I think it's best if you can give a more detailed description of the problem, plus any picture can sometimes be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Rick,
Thanks for replying to my post. I was referring to the very first post in this thread. It was Feb 19, 2017. By AOOA. Anyways the way he describes his seat and third row access issue is the exact same issue I am having also. We have had the vehicle for 3 months and it was working fine until one day my daughter went to use the lever to exit the 3rd row and it would tilt but wouldn't slide forward anymore. It will slide if using the lever at the front of the seat but If you use the one on the side of the seat it will only tilt, this makes it difficult to exit and enter the 3rd row. I've booked an appointment with Toyota and they suggested they may need to remove the seat which could be a little pricy of a job.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I am currently away from my HL. But, I had asked my son to try the 2nd row driver-side reclining handle; the report is:
-- If I pulled on the handle up slowly, the seat back will tilt forward and if continue to pull the handle further just so slightly the entire seat will slide forward; however, it needed a little help by giving the seat a little push to make it slide forward...
-- if I just pull on the handle all the way up, the seat back pops forward and with the force of the seat back tilting forward also caused the entire seat to move forward without any help.

Hope the above helps a bit (was the above how your HL worked before the issue)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Rick, that sounds right, that's how it worked before the issue. I I've tried being gentle on the lever and not so gentle, tried pushing forward while pulling the lever and nothing seems to work. The Toyota dealer seems to think a cable issue that causes the seat to slide. I was considering trying opening the seat up myself... They said they would need to have the seat removed....

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you have the time and desire, can probably use a small mirror and a bright flashlight to see if you can see any cable that may be dangling (in my experience, not that lucky)... I would start by tracing the cable that is linked to the seat forward/back level/bar then to the mechanism and from there (I assume) a separate cable (possibly the dangling one) should lead to the seat back reclining handle/lever; see if there is any visible sign of cable got disconnected etc.
If the dealer had to reinstall/replace that cable, it's looks to me easier with the seat removed and flipped up side down as there just isn't much space underneath the seat to work.... After they are done, be sure the seat is not surface, back and sides are not damaged/scratched (and your door panel when he/she remove the seat out of your car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts