Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Camry 2.2l
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered the driver side 3rd row seat belt has some damage (cut/tear through about 15-20% of the width). No idea how it happened, but clearly I won't let anyone sit there until fixed. Is there anything I need to know before digging into the work? Is re-webbing reasonably easy to diy, or is there something (e.g. pre-tensioners) that make a pro-only proposition?

Thanks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here's a diagram of the 3rd row belts for a 2008 - didn't know which year you have. I don't think the 3rd row seat belts or the 2nd row belts for that matter have pre-tensioners. If fact, I recently saw a media blurb about how much more dangerous it is for rear seat passengers in a crash but the information was general and not specific to any vehicle model.

I suspect it is fairly straight forward to replace the belt once you get behind the panels. The only modern seat belt I've removed was the driver's belt on a Lexus LS when the belt wouldn't retract. It wasn't difficult once I removed the door post trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discovered the driver side 3rd row seat belt has some damage (cut/tear through about 15-20% of the width). No idea how it happened, but clearly I won't let anyone sit there until fixed. Is there anything I need to know before digging into the work? Is re-webbing reasonably easy to diy, or is there something (e.g. pre-tensioners) that make a pro-only proposition?

Thanks.
Rewebbing is not a DIY pre-tensioners or not. Mess that up and someone could die. Get a new one or, good salvage yard part.

·
Registered
1997 Camry 2.2l
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 2008.

Turns out there's a few places we can send the seat belt assembly for rebuilding. About $80 for that. Totally worth it to make sure the seat belt works properly. I just need to remove it, and mail it to one of those places, then reinstall when we get it back. So should just be a matter of removing trim and a few bolts for my part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts