Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Camry 2.2l
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered the driver side 3rd row seat belt has some damage (cut/tear through about 15-20% of the width). No idea how it happened, but clearly I won't let anyone sit there until fixed. Is there anything I need to know before digging into the work? Is re-webbing reasonably easy to diy, or is there something (e.g. pre-tensioners) that make a pro-only proposition?

Thanks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Here's a diagram of the 3rd row belts for a 2008 - didn't know which year you have. I don't think the 3rd row seat belts or the 2nd row belts for that matter have pre-tensioners. If fact, I recently saw a media blurb about how much more dangerous it is for rear seat passengers in a crash but the information was general and not specific to any vehicle model.

I suspect it is fairly straight forward to replace the belt once you get behind the panels. The only modern seat belt I've removed was the driver's belt on a Lexus LS when the belt wouldn't retract. It wasn't difficult once I removed the door post trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discovered the driver side 3rd row seat belt has some damage (cut/tear through about 15-20% of the width). No idea how it happened, but clearly I won't let anyone sit there until fixed. Is there anything I need to know before digging into the work? Is re-webbing reasonably easy to diy, or is there something (e.g. pre-tensioners) that make a pro-only proposition?

Thanks.
Rewebbing is not a DIY pre-tensioners or not. Mess that up and someone could die. Get a new one or, good salvage yard part.

·
Registered
1997 Camry 2.2l
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 2008.

Turns out there's a few places we can send the seat belt assembly for rebuilding. About $80 for that. Totally worth it to make sure the seat belt works properly. I just need to remove it, and mail it to one of those places, then reinstall when we get it back. So should just be a matter of removing trim and a few bolts for my part.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks.
We've had this problem three times with our 3rd row seatbelts in our 2013 Sienna (twice on the passenger side, once on the driver side). First time was under warranty but now they want $400/ea to fix the two that are showing tears. Nothing 'unusual' caused this. Any information on where you sent them? This seems like a defect that needs to be addressed by Toyota.

·
8,063 Posts
I am pretty sure seat belt is lifetime warranty. As part of general vehicle safety obligation.

yep

Toyota also has a Corrosion Warranty (5 years and no mile limit) as well as a Roadside Assistance guarantee program (3 years/ 36,000 miles). The manufacturer also has a Seat Belt Lifetime Warranty, which covers repairs and replacements of the seat belts as long as you own the car.

Unless there is mechanical damage to the belt, not at manufacturer fault. So, if you have tensioner and belt guides installed crooked, so that they chew on belt - he he, you are golden. But, if your kid took a knife to it just to check if it is sharp......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts