Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so if i took a 3s block and had a 5s (2.2l) crank machined to fit 3S-GTE rod journals would it make it a 2.2 if i used that crank?

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
sleepr said:
so if i took a 3s block and had a 5s (2.2l) crank machined to fit 3S-GTE rod journals would it make it a 2.2 if i used that crank?
Yes, you'd have a stroked 3S.

Crower and Pauter make rods that fit a 5S crank, so you don't have to machine the crank.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Pineapple said:
Isn't 5S got bigger bore?
Why stoke the 3S and not use 5S block and crank?
3S block stronger?
3s is supposed to have thicker walls. That's one reason everyone opts out of the 5sfte and gets scared of the 5sgte( well and the money needed too).

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Isnt the 5S block taller than the 3S, if thats the case you wont be able to use the crank, nor the 5S internals.

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
Pineapple said:
Isn't 5S got bigger bore?
Slightly bigger. 3.43" (87mm) vs. 3.39" (86mm).

Isnt the 5S block taller than the 3S, if thats the case you wont be able to use the crank, nor the 5S internals.
This was posted by Wraith:

2.2Liter 5s-gte v.1 (balance of power)= 3s-gte long block, 5s-fe crank, 1mm Over sied 3s-gte pistons ( 87mm bore), 5s-fe rods( 92mm stroke).

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37904&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, i just wanted to know, because i already have the rods and pistons for a 3sgte, and i eather wanted to buy a turbo or make it a 2.2 this week end.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"3s is supposed to have thicker walls. That's one reason everyone opts out of the 5sfte and gets scared of the 5sgte( well and the money needed too)."

so not true?

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
sleepr said:
"3s is supposed to have thicker walls. That's one reason everyone opts out of the 5sfte and gets scared of the 5sgte( well and the money needed too)."

so not true?
alot of the higher horsepower MR2 are running a 5s-fe blocks which are found in mr2's in Japan... And a few drag cars using a 3s-gte motors are using them...

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Wraith,
did you have to do much to plumb for oil? Like are you using piston squirters? Where did you tap in for oil to the turbo? Just curious. I figure the drain back would be easy...
What other differences are there besides the 5S being a taller deck?

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
alltrac165 said:
Wraith,
did you have to do much to plumb for oil? Like are you using piston squirters? Where did you tap in for oil to the turbo? Just curious. I figure the drain back would be easy...
What other differences are there besides the 5S being a taller deck?
I did not plumb for oil squiters... I tapped the oil for the turbo at the head. The 5s-fe has bigger water and oil passages than the 3sgte. The bore is slightly bigger and the block can take a bigger sleeve...

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
^kewl, thanks for the info

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
alltrac165 said:
^kewl, thanks for the info
The oil squiters are only good when you drive the car constantly and stuck in traffic ... The problem with them is they start to cause foaming in the oil pan at the high rpms ...

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Even without a turbo? I know the turbo whips the oil up pretty good, and that's why you need such a big drain line back to the pan, hadn't heard that about the oil squirters. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
92 camry dx
40 Posts
so from what i read its best to just turbo a stock 5s? or should there be some 3s parts on it to? and would it be possible to get a pic of where to drill holes for oil for a turbo?

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
emeny2 said:
so from what i read its best to just turbo a stock 5s? or should there be some 3s parts on it to?
To turbo a 5S, the easiest thing to do is use a 3S-GTE turbo manifold and CT-26 turbo.

So yes there will be some parts from a 3S that you'll need.

and would it be possible to get a pic of where to drill holes for oil for a turbo?
The oil feed for the turbo can be tapped off the head. Theres a oil pressure switch that screws into the upper right corner of the head. You need a T, lines, and fittings.

Oil drain from the turbo goes to the oil pan. Drill the oil pan and weld on a fitting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts