Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This can't be right. I just changed the oil in my girlfriend's 1990 Camry. It has a 3S-FE. The oil was full when I drained it. I didn't pull it up onto ramps, so the car was sitting fairly level. It might have had a slight down hill angle. I pulled the plug and only got about 2 quarts out. I thought that was odd. I put the drain plug back in anyway and it only took 2 quarts to fill it back up. I was stumped.

How much oil is a 3S-FE supposed to hold?

She bought that car about 1.5 months ago and the oil looked good when she bought it so I have not changed it until now.

Also, the dip stick is pretty hard to pull out and I have always wondered if it is the correct one.

Thanks

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
I'd grab a stick from another car with same engine and check that first, but I have seen oil solidify in oil pans and create a similar problem.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
could be burning oil or there's a leak somewhere. it holds 4 i always pour in 4qt everytime i change the oil. but every car burns some oil u'll never get the full 4qt back. but it should be close. i just did an oil change and i only poured back 3.5ish. but then i have a valve leak.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
oh i didn't see that u only pour back only 2 to be full again. yeah try taking off the oil pan to see what's going on down there

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check the pan. I was kind of wondering if it could have been build up in the pan, but thought I would ask a few more opinions.

Thanks

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
if its built up in the pan, chances are it has builtup in other placs too (oil passages??? valv covers????)

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
machman said:
Should I run some engine cleaner through it in that case?
i wouldnt, not just yet. and ENIGNE FLUSH may be your best bet, but first try the dipstick thing.,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have not done anything on the car yet. I have tried to locate another dipstick locally with no luck. If the motor is actually two quarts low, wouldn't it be making some obvious clicking noises?

Can someone give me som measurement off thier dipstick of thier 3S-FE?

I have purchased some NAPA Engine Flush and expect to try that tomorrow.

Thanks,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I ran the engine flush through it per MFR directions. Then, I drained it....black, black. Filled it up and it still only took two quarts to fill it up.

Friday I am going to pull the oil pan. I will post my findings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, don't I feel like a dipstick. After removing the crossmembers, exhaust, etc, then the oil pan, I found that the oil pan was fine. I finally found a 3SFE dipstick to compare with and my dipstick was too long. Hence, when the longer dipstick was showing full, the pan only had two quarts in it.

However, I was glad I went through the trouble because I found a broken motor mount.

So, it was a learning experience.

Another plus in Toyota reliability. You can drive around for several months two quarts low in oil and a broken motor mount and she still keeps on purring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts