Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
I'd be surprised if it was swaybar clearance - it was likely exhaust clearance due to the balance shaft 'bump' in the oil pan. Later 3s-ge and 3s-gte engines do have swaybar clearance issues with the new oil filter mount location.

The gen3/4 Camry mount setup is very different than the gen2 (and Celica) mounts. 3 'bottom' mounts and the top dogbone instead of two hanger mounts and two (or three) torque mounts.

-Charlie

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd be surprised if it was swaybar clearance - it was likely exhaust clearance due to the balance shaft 'bump' in the oil pan. Later 3s-ge and 3s-gte engines do have swaybar clearance issues with the new oil filter mount location.
I honestly don't remember, but I do recall it was quite obvious that the 5S pan (from a Camry) would not work. Maybe it was the cross member.. The hump accommodating the gear for balance shaft assembly would not clear, as the stock 3S pan is a fairly tight clearance as it was.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
I honestly don't remember, but I do recall it was quite obvious that the 5S pan (from a Camry) would not work. Maybe it was the cross member.. The hump accommodating the gear for balance shaft assembly would not clear, as the stock 3S pan is a fairly tight clearance as it was.
Oh yeah! That would definitely do it. So N-S subframe, not swaybar.

-Charlie

·
Registered
91 Camry DX 5-Speed 3SFE, 88 Camry Base Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Noted to the above. It's been a minute since I've had time to work on this side project. Money also being a factor since I'm having the windshield replaced in the 88 Camry due to large cracks all across and the transmission started slipping in the work SUV, typical Dodge...

Pictures from the head being pulled off:

Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive engine gasket Rim Motor vehicle

Light Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Nut

21 - 24 of 24 Posts