Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m trying to get more performance out of my 1989 Toyota Camry 3SFE and I was wondering if this HKS exhaust header will fit? The bolt pattern looks the same and a 3SGE is practically the brother of the 3SFE so it should work right?? Anybody know if this will actually work? Lol I’d love to get rid of this 30 year old catalytic converter and get a few hp outta the deal. I left pics of the HKS header and the stock manifold gasket for comparison. Thanks again you guys! You’re always where I come to first for help!
Glove Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rain boot Human leg

Eye Font Event Circle Pattern

Bicycle part Font Rim Auto part Metal

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
The correct answer is 'it depends'

The early 3s-ge (and 3s-gte) exhaust headers/manifolds are compatible with the 3s-fe. They will have the 6-hole or 7-hole flange (some late gen2 3s-gte also had 9-holes). The later ones generally have 8 holes. The port locations are different though. The 3s-fe compatible manifolds have the same spacing between cylinders 1/2 and 3/4. Non-compatible manifolds have closer spacing for cylinders 1/2 than 3/4.

Compatible:

Not Compatible:

Based on that, the header you posted is for a later gen 3s-ge and won't be compatible with the 3s-fe.

-Charlie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The correct answer is 'it depends'

The early 3s-ge (and 3s-gte) exhaust headers/manifolds are compatible with the 3s-fe. They will have the 6-hole or 7-hole flange (some late gen2 3s-gte also had 9-holes). The later ones generally have 8 holes. The port locations are different though. The 3s-fe compatible manifolds have the same spacing between cylinders 1/2 and 3/4. Non-compatible manifolds have closer spacing for cylinders 1/2 than 3/4.

Compatible:

Not Compatible:

Based on that, the header you posted is for a later gen 3s-ge and won't be compatible with the 3s-fe.

-Charlie
Thanks white90dx !! All I see for 3SFE engines are turbo manifolds and I’m not trying to blow it up lol it’s an automatic also, so that torque converter would say bye bye lol

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
Thanks white90dx !! All I see for 3SFE engines are turbo manifolds and I’m not trying to blow it up lol it’s an automatic also, so that torque converter would say bye bye lol
Search for headers designed for the ST162 Celica. You can also use headers designed for a 5s-fe - also for the Celica/MR2 (3rd gen+ Camry have a different engine mount design that puts the exhaust in the wrong location for the gen2 Camry). OBX Exhaust Header for 1993-1999 Toyota Celica GT/GTS 2.2L ST204 5S-FE | eBay

You will still have to custom make the connection between the header and rest of the exhaust.

Oh, and don't expect much power. A manual trans swap would be more $$$ effective and get you much more power at the wheels (at 4-cylinder manual is about as fast as a V6 auto - 115hp vs 155hp)

-Charlie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I realized that a little too late lol I bought the car with a blown tranny and spent $1500 on a new automatic for it when I should’ve just done the manual conversion 🤦‍♂️ It’s not too late of course, but tbh it would probably be more cost effective to just buy another one that’s already a manual lol and thanks again for the info!
~ Jared

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I realized that a little too late lol I bought the car with a blown tranny and spent $1500 on a new automatic for it when I should’ve just done the manual conversion 🤦‍♂️ It’s not too late of course, but tbh it would probably be more cost effective to just buy another one that’s already a manual lol and thanks again for the info!
~ Jared
Search for headers designed for the ST162 Celica. You can also use headers designed for a 5s-fe - also for the Celica/MR2 (3rd gen+ Camry have a different engine mount design that puts the exhaust in the wrong location for the gen2 Camry). OBX Exhaust Header for 1993-1999 Toyota Celica GT/GTS 2.2L ST204 5S-FE | eBay

You will still have to custom make the connection between the header and rest of the exhaust.

Oh, and don't expect much power. A manual trans swap would be more $$$ effective and get you much more power at the wheels (at 4-cylinder manual is about as fast as a V6 auto - 115hp vs 155hp)

-Charlie
Do you know what the manual transmission code is for this year Camry? I’m trying to find it but there’s almost zero info on it on the web lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you know what the manual transmission code is for this year Camry? I’m trying to find it but there’s almost zero info on it on the web lol
Of course you don't need to search the web. You search this forum. I think it's been mentioned quite a few times before that for manual transmission there are 3 varieties:

4 cylinder: S51
6 cylinder: E52
4WD: E56F5

Thanks to this forum, I got to read a bunch of manual transmission threads to get the correct fluid for my E52 transaxle which is 3/4 MT-90 1/4 synchromax; it's pretty smooth with that combo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course you don't need to search the web. You search this forum. I think it's been mentioned quite a few times before that for manual transmission there are 3 varieties:

4 cylinder: S51
6 cylinder: E52
4WD: E56F5

Thanks to this forum, I got to read a bunch of manual transmission threads to get the correct fluid for my E52 transaxle which is 3/4 MT-90 1/4 synchromax; it's pretty smooth with that combo.
Thank you so much man! I didn’t know what the code was for them and it kept giving me the code for the v6 model lol. I’ve dumped a lot of money in my 89’ and I was heartbroken when I found out these automatics were absolute trash when it comes to speed or acceleration. I’ll leave a photo or two so you can see the progress and also see why I HAVE to manual-swap it haha
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
’ve dumped a lot of money in my 89’ and I was heartbroken when I found out these automatics were absolute trash when it comes to speed or acceleration.
Any 4-speed auto from the '80's will be trash for acceleration... They were still using the (nearly) same A140 all the way to 2001 in the Camry - Toyota obviously felt something was good with that trans.

-Charlie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any 4-speed auto from the '80's will be trash for acceleration... They were still using the (nearly) same A140 all the way to 2001 in the Camry - Toyota obviously felt something was good with that trans.

-Charlie
Probably just the fuel economy would be my guess lol idk whether to try and convert mine or just find another already with a manual. Decisions decisions haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts