Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to swap my FE out for a GE, but im having a problem finding a transmission. all i can find are 5spds, but i need an auto, because i want to keep things simple.

my question is, how reliable would a camry 3sfe tranny be with the 3sge engine?

and, would the GE's computer be able to recognize and run the FE's tranny? and is there a difference between the auto GE and the Manual GE computer.

Bascially, if i get a 3SGE that originally had manual tranny, would its electronics work with my 3SFE's tranny?

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
I can't tell you about the tranny, so i'm not going to speculate, but i can tell you that if the ECU is transmission specific, it will say so on the box. For example my 20v ECU has written on it '4A-GE M/T', denoting it doesnt have the smarts required to run an auto. my old box, however has just '4A-FE' written on it, and it has been tested on a friends auto that we thought the ECU might be going and worked fine, so if it doesnt say anything about m/t or a/t on the box, it should be fine.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
yeah gotta have an auto ecu... and gotta find out if the fe auto tranny will fit... torque converter onto the flexplate. i would think it would bolt up, but the torque converter might be different.

personally, i would go with the manual anyways... you might have to swap more stuff out though. not sure about gen 2 so much...

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Gen 2 Camrys have a seperate computer for the auto tranny. However the plug for the computer is part of the engine wiring harness.

So even if the auto tranny from a 3S-FE bolts up to a 3S-GE, you still have to figure out the wiring. Good luck with that.

Is the 3S-GE available with a auto tranny?

Bascially, if i get a 3SGE that originally had manual tranny, would its electronics work with my 3SFE's tranny?
No, unless both trannies are manual.

Your 3S-FE has a auto tranny? You didn't say if it was auto or manual in your post.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's the deal

I have a 3SFE with Auto tranny now, im swapping in a 3SGE in the near future, but my problem is finding a 3SGE with an auto tranny.

I dont want to convert to a manual, because of the difficulty and extra time and money required, so im just going to wait till i find a 3SGE with an automatic tranny.

thanks for your replies

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont have anyway to bend and run the hydrolic lines for the celica tranny.

and im trying to keep this on a decent budget, so buying a new clutch, finding a clutch pedal and shifter and all that crap just doesnt seem worth it, plus i drive a lot in traffic and on the highway, so a manual would get anoying.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Which model 3sge are you sticking in the car? I am sure a good engine importer could locate a 3sge with automatice trans/ecu for you. If you keep checking ebay, they pop up from time to time. Actually, if you just call the businesses, they might just have what you need laying around.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive got a few people looking for one for me.

im just trying to get a 3rd gen or even a 2nd gen 3sge, but apperantly they are kinda rare with the auto, although i have seen them before.

im trying to get one from just jap imports, they quoted me $550 for engine, tranny, ecu, and an uncut harness, so they are the best so far. seem like nice guys, but we shall see.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Stevethecleric said:
ive got a few people looking for one for me.

im just trying to get a 3rd gen or even a 2nd gen 3sge, but apperantly they are kinda rare with the auto, although i have seen them before.

im trying to get one from just jap imports, they quoted me $550 for engine, tranny, ecu, and an uncut harness, so they are the best so far. seem like nice guys, but we shall see.
Yeah, there was a 3rd gen with auto on ebay a while ago. Nobody bid on it either. You should try and get in contact with the guy to see if he still has it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7909028774&category=6763

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what i want, but the MR2 tranny wont work. not to mention the price is a lot higher

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats why i have been waiting for those guys to find one. no one else can touch that price.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,502 Posts
If you are going to switch to a manual tranny, you can bolt up all the M/T 3s-fe Camry parts you can get in a junk yard for the clutch and stuff. It will all bolt to the 3s-ge manual tranny.

-Charlie

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats the thing, i dont want to swap a manual, too much extra cost, time, and further hassle with the swap and in the future.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, got another question on this one

Will i need to replace the transmission computer, when i do the swap, if i use the GE's auto tranny?

The reason i ask this now is when i had my dash board out to replace it, i saw the transmission computer under the dash, and the chunk of wire thats under there,

is that wire bunch the wiring harness that runs from the engine? I assume im going to have to take the dashboard out again?

Ive never seen this question asked before, and i didnt think about it untill i saw it, if i do have to replace the tranny computer, where do i get one? i dont believe the engine im getting has one.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

this is what im talking about *cough* 88le *cough*

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Stevethecleric said:
Will i need to replace the transmission computer, when i do the swap, if i use the GE's auto tranny?
I ain't got a damn clue. :)

My Toyota electrical manual doesn't have any diagrams on the auto tranny computer. It just shows you where the computer is.

Toyota has a manual (ECT (A 140E) diagnosis manual) just for the tranny.

Toyota Service Publications
750 West Victoria St.
Compton, CA 90220-5538

1(800) 622-2033

The reason i ask this now is when i had my dash board out to replace it, i saw the transmission computer under the dash, and the chunk of wire thats under there,

is that wire bunch the wiring harness that runs from the engine? I assume im going to have to take the dashboard out again?
The big fat bundle of wires is the engine wiring harness.

And no you don't need to remove the entire dash again to remove the engine wiring harness. Just remove the lower half of the passenger side dash (glove box area).

P.S. I'll get those pictures for you. Look for it in the Camry forum. ;)

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
was it 1fastle that had the GE camry?

anyone seen him lately?

cant believe i stumped the mighty 88 le...:eek:

thanks anyway

and by the way, what is the bunch of wires that has the bright green clips on it at the top?

is that not connected to the engine harness? or is that a seperate harness? I really need to get a Toyota Service Manual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts