Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
[K][a][M][r][Y]
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I been getting price quotes from a few shops lately and I'm stuck on my decision. I need a few opinions from you guys out there. And no I'm not gonna save the money and buy a faster car, because that would mean I cheat my way to my goal. True satisfaction comes from powering a normal car to be a fast car.:thumbup: :D

With that being said...Heres my thoughts:

If I turbo my 1mzfe...I have very less aftermarket support and most parts would be custom. Turboing the 1mzfe would be a average of 2,000-4,000 dollars, this would be a basic turbo running at roughly 7psi. Building up the engine to take more boost would be a path of customization and I will have little to no aftermarket support, which means more $$$.

If I swap a 3sgte engine, it would roughly cost me 7,000-9,000 dollars and it be STOCK. I will have unlimited of aftermarket support and parts wouldn't cost an arm and a leg...still be pricey, but nothing compare to custom parts.

After all that, which would you guys pick to be cost efficient in the long run? 3sgte is near 10k and I still need to spend money after that to boost the horses. The 1mzfe I save 6k but would upgrading parts cost me more then 6k? Thanks!

·
deviate from the absolute
92 toyota camry
4,911 Posts
DarkMastyr said:
turboing a 1mz for 2-4k? uhh.... hey good luck with that.

I was thinking the same myself

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,457 Posts
Well, first this subject has been covered many times. 2nd, a 3sgte motor will probably run you from $2500-$3,000. Then comes the custom wiring haress, custom motor mounts, etc. This swap is very costly. I was planning on doing one a long time ago, but as I researched it and saw how costly it was I realized that I couldn´t afford it. I ended up turboing my 5sfe and having a friend(silverstreakin) and I do all the work. In the end I spent about $1,500.

If you´re looking into turboing your 1mzfe, I would suggest that you shoot a pm to Tony the Tiger, or Zoni. They can give yu more info. Or just do a search.

·
[K][a][M][r][Y]
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no clue where this thread has gone to lol. So for I got only one solid answer from Rapeacivic as to why I should choose 1mzfe over 3sgte. And thank you for backing up your opinion.

Guys forget about the prices they are just roughly estimates dont take them seriously...I need opinions on which engine I should go with. Thanks in advance.

·
NIGHT STALKER
98 CAMRY
198 Posts
Technically your still cheating your way into a fast car if your gonna have people do it for you. The whole idea of tricking out your car is that youve spend a lot of hard work and time to get it how it is. What type of hard work and time are you putting into your car if your having someone else do it for you and all your doing is givin the money. Look at tonythetiger, ufoz, zoni, rapeacivic, amazingnate, toysrme, etc... theyve all done there build ups with little if not any help at all. Now thats what i call real car enthusiasts who spend hard work and time to be where they are right now. Well thats what i think about when someone mentions modifying their car. No offense towards you just putting it to thought.

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
i'd have to disagree with that part. i believe it's taking the initiative to perform a swap like that and being one of the few to have it, whether or not you've done it yourself.

yes you do get an awesome feeling putting your own stuff in, but sometimes there are things some people may not have the know-how to do no matter how much they study it and could end up ruining things in the end.

i say if you can afford it, do the 3sgte swap. a lot more choices for upgrades if you really want power and since it's just a factory engine from another yota they can do most basic maintenance on it a shop.

think in terms of practicality at the same time. if you are very handy then do the custom 1mz, but if you want it to be serviced, do the 3sgte.

me personally, i'd love to have a 13 second camry with a 3sgte flying down the drag or autocross.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.