Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a 3SGTE Yamaja head be installed on a 3SFE block? Will the pistons have to be changed? What else must be changed?

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Toyotas are not hondas. No simple head swaps. Not to mention it wouldnt do anything even if you did get it installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
touringcamry said:
I'm fairly certain that the blocks are different due to the wider head.
check out the head gaskets for both, see if the bolts and water/oil jackets line up. You would aso need to measure deck hight and all that good stuff to make sure your timing belt has the right amount of teeth. Ive seen far crazier than a 3sgte head on a 3sfe block. Like twin cam volvo heads on mercur engines.:eek: You might end up having to bore holes for oil lines and what not, find someone with a spare 3sge/3sgte head laying around to find out. Calculate the cc of the pistons +the deck height and the cc of the head to get your compression ratio. You could listen to naysayers on the intenrets all day (I.E. the honda comment) But people didn't think you could swap B series heads long ago either.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Ok, i said dont do it because its pointless. Why the hell would you want to spend all that time and energy on swapping in a head that would yeild less Hp? the GTE head is designed for low compression, IF you could get it on there and workng, the car would be slower!!!

Dumb ass people.

A GTE head has been swapped onto an FE block, BUT it does require reworking all of the oil passages, pistons, water passages and just about anything else you can think of. and the reason that person did it was to make a 5SGTE, which basically became a stroked 3SGTE.

If you're going to use the head to turbo the car, thats just dumb too because the bottom end on the 3SFE is weak as shit. And if you get fordged internals for the bottom end, then youll have basically just built a 3SGTE. Spend $10k on custom reworking the 3SFE to a 3SGTE or just spend $2-3K on a 3SGTE to begin with??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tommy said:
Ok, i said dont do it because its pointless. Why the hell would you want to spend all that time and energy on swapping in a head that would yeild less Hp? the GTE head is designed for low compression, IF you could get it on there and workng, the car would be slower!!!

Dumb ass people.

A GTE head has been swapped onto an FE block, BUT it does require reworking all of the oil passages, pistons, water passages and just about anything else you can think of. and the reason that person did it was to make a 5SGTE, which basically became a stroked 3SGTE.

If you're going to use the head to turbo the car, thats just dumb too because the bottom end on the 3SFE is weak as shit. And if you get fordged internals for the bottom end, then youll have basically just built a 3SGTE. Spend $10k on custom reworking the 3SFE to a 3SGTE or just spend $2-3K on a 3SGTE to begin with??

Are you absolutley sure it would be lower compression? they dont design the head for lower compression, or take anything out of it really. They just dish out the pistons. It might end up being higher compression depending wether or not the 3sgte has a quench style head

see the decked quench area? I actualy just went down to the garage and looked at my 3sge head, it honestly looks eactly the same as that head.

You forget to metion the problem that he would come into while doing this head swap, wich is the 3SGE and 3SGTE dont have the same kind of timign belt system, the 3sfe has a backwards spining gear driven cam, and the timing belt situation would be all messed up, unless a pully from a 3sgte/3sge fit. The best solution (besides droping 2k on a gte) Is just buying a first gen 3sge. as they're only like 400 bucks. I'm just trying to convey that naysaying a project is never positive or good. And dont yeild a gain of any knolege in the community. Im sure "buy a 3sgte" has been said here 2340237402374 times.:disappoin

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Exactly, its been said a 1000x times before, hence why the forum has a search feature. I wasnt going into the details of all the crap wrong with the idea because its all been covered before. If he wants to persue a stupid idea, let him, but if he cant even do the research himself, that means he's never gonna get any of the work done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts