Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i effed up my 3sge and would rather not just rebuild this engine i figure if i have to pull everything out why not replace the engine with a 3sgte

also the engine before it even started knocking because it spun a roller bearing had an idle problem that i couldnt figure out how to fix so i dont wana rebuild this motor just to end up with another problem

so my real question is if i can get my hands on a turbo engine from the junk yard what all should i include in a rebuild of the engine to keep it running for a while

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Are you wanting to do a complete rebuild? Or just enough to get it running?
Personally, if I have the engine out, I would do a complete rebuild and not have to worry about stuff later-and maybe have to pull the engine again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah im wanting to do a complete rebuild but im not even sure im going to be able to get my hands on a turbo motor anymore i think im stuck with the 3gse :( but i still would like to know what all is included in a full rebuild of both

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
If you rebuild the 3sge, maybe down the road you could turbo it. The 3sgte head is a bolt on. Then it could easily accept a turbo.

To rebuild block of 3sge:
1.)Hone cylinders
2.)New Rings
3.)New Rod bearings
4.)New Main Bearings
5.)Have crank inspected-possibly polish
6)New Rear Seal
7.)New front seal
8.)Deck Block
9.) Replace Freeze Plugs

For Head rebuild:
1.) Grind Valves
2.) Grinds Seats
3.) Replace Valce seals
4.) New Retainers
5.) Resurface
6.) New Cams seals
7.) New Headgasket
8.) New Head Bolts(recommend ARP Studs)
9.) New Flywheel bolts(ARP)

It may not be faulty, but I would recommend a new water pump, timing belt and oil pump, new Clutch disk, and possibly resuface flywheel and pressure plate, -just because the engine is out.

The 3sgte swap would be more costly and require some fabrication. It's quite a project.
For a 3sgte swap:
1.)Complete 3sgte engine.
a. complete block with pistons, rods, crankshaft, caps. bearings and flywheel.
b. complete cylinder head with both camshafts, caps, both cam gears and distributor.
2.) Exhaust Manifold
3.) Turbocharger w/wastegate acuator
4.) Turbo Oil lines (in & return)
5.) Waterlines to Turbo
6.) Water bypass hardlines
7.) Downpipe
8.) Intake Manifold w/throttlebody
9.) Fuel Pump
10.) Fuel Rail, Fuel Injectors and Fuel Pressure Regulator
11.) Intercooler piping,bypass valve,couplers, clamps
12.) Intercooler w/fan
13.) Loom(wire harness)
14.) Transmission with clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate.
15.) ECU

I'm don't know about the axles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wait so all i need to do after rebuilding mine is swap out the head? and the put the tubo on there?

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
wait so all i need to do after rebuilding mine is swap out the head? and the put the tubo on there?
You will need:
3sgte head with both cams, gears, springs, valves,retainers,spring seats, seals.(I would replace seals).
3sgte Timing Belt.
3sgte Distributor.
Valve cover.
Exhaust manifold.
Turbo with wastegate acuator.
3sgte AFM and intake piping.
3sgte fuel injectors, fuel rail and FPR.
3sgte fuel pump.
Downpipe.
Intercooler and piping/couplers.
Intercooler fan.
Exhaust piping to muffler.
3sgte intake manifold,throttlebody, throttlebody intake.
TVIS and vacuum modulator.
Oil lines.
Oil Pan(or tap your existing one)
Hard water lines(for turbo and throttlebody)
Not sure about water pump?
And you may have to drill block water jackets to cool 3sgte head.
3sgte ECU and uncut harness.

Sounds like fun huh?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like fun huh?
lol to an extent yea lol i wish i could afford a front cut of another celica with a turbo and top mount inter cooler do you know whether the water to air or air to air inter coolers work the best in the celica?

·
Registered
Toyota Celica ST185
7 Posts
That's a bit of a loaded question. The W2A's have the ability to cool better than the A2A ie much greater efficiency. However the W2A has additional electronic components such as the pump. I have a FMIC on my All-trac and I wouldn't trade it for a W2A. FMIC = no heatsoak issues. Buddy of mine HAD a W2A on his alltrac that worked great, until the pump motor went out and caused lots of issues. After he gets done rebuilding he is switching to FMIC. A W2A setup will on a good day cost you as much as a good FMIC setup. I know my buddy liked to run the W2A because when he went to the track he would put some dry ice on top of the intercooler.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
W2A hands down:thumbsup:
There is some truth to what trumanpriest stated. As long as the pump and lines are good, the W2A will out perform th A2A IC.
Of course, the A2A are much less complex, with less to go wrong-aside from a pressure leak.
You could do a large FMIC with twin Spal fans and keep heatsoak to a minimum. At speed, they work very well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay so i got the engine down to the block and i was looking at the cylinder walls and inside of cylinder #4 theres a huge gash and my dad seams to think that it was machined that way on purpose and i think were gonna have to replace the block :) lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts