Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive come across alot of 5sgte stuff on this forum. But ive only just bought a mr2 last week. its turbo with 121,000kms on the engine. N i started loosing power on higher revs, sounded like a miss. Went to the mechs n there was a small knocking sounds. so we figured it was the big end bearings/conrods. So now i have a few choices. i have 2 weeks to decide.
1. Buy a 5sfe block n get the guy to bolt them up, apparently its easy.
2. Buy another gen1 3sgte motor which will cost $1000
3. Buy a gen 3 3SGTE motor which will be $1500
OK, DO NOT SUGGEST 3VZFE. i dont want project yet. My mech is doing the swap for a fair price. So should i go 5sgte? please tell me if its easy on this mr2. Its a 1990 Gen1 Mr2 Turbo. I wouldent be upgrading it. Hopefully just implant the block n drive it away.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
Ive come across alot of 5sgte stuff on this forum. But ive only just bought a mr2 last week. its turbo with 121,000kms on the engine. N i started loosing power on higher revs, sounded like a miss. Went to the mechs n there was a small knocking sounds. so we figured it was the big end bearings/conrods. So now i have a few choices. i have 2 weeks to decide.
1. Buy a 5sfe block n get the guy to bolt them up, apparently its easy.
2. Buy another gen1 3sgte motor which will cost $1000
3. Buy a gen 3 3SGTE motor which will be $1500
OK, DO NOT SUGGEST 3VZFE. i dont want project yet. My mech is doing the swap for a fair price. So should i go 5sgte? please tell me if its easy on this mr2. Its a 1990 Gen1 Mr2 Turbo. I wouldent be upgrading it. Hopefully just implant the block n drive it away.
You have a gen2 3sgte, not a gen1. 5sgte is a lot more work than just bolting up; you've got a fair amount of bottom end machining and part swapping to get everything to work. If it's in the budget, gen3 will provide you with the most fun at the end of the day and not break the bank. Definitely worth $500 over another gen2.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree with both above!

If It were me I'd put in a gen3 motor, I'm assuming for that price it's only the motor because it would be much more if that included the trans and everything. I would try to get all info possible on that gen3, is it a longblock or the entire engine with turbo and intake manifold with wire harness for that price?

And Just because you bought a motor from Japan doesn't mean it will be a good engine. I've seen numerous imported engines come with spun rod bearing, or even just overly worn bearings...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all systems are go. got me another gen 2 3sgte bottom end for $400. My buddy is gna swap out all the parts that need replacing. thanks but i think later this year i will be tryna find someone capable to do the 5sgte swap for me.

thanks for all your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.