Toyota Nation Forum banner

3SGTE swap Q

8K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  A Diddy 
#1 ·
Ok so I have found myself a 3SGTE with 80,000 miles on it for 1400 with the tranny.

Now my question is since I have a 92 Celica GTS that is FWD...is that tranny usless to me since it came outta an AWD car??:hammer:

#3 ·
Apparently there is a FWD turbo tranny?! One shop told me that I needed this type of tranny to do a swap(3S-GTE). Not sure if its true, but maybe some of the experts here can clarify the FWD trannys that mate up to the 3S-GTE.

#6 ·
ya but your 3s-gte will eat your 5 speed 5f-se and your auto will last less than that ...

you can use the awd tranny with as said before a little mod. its the easiest way to go you also can use the mr2 tranny but i think it bolts up on the wrong said (correct me if i'm wrong) so its more difficult to use but will last

and to answer your question i have never heard of a fwd turbo tranny the turbo came with the awd not a fwd so unless its a special after market trans i'm gonna lean towrds the people you heard that from have no idea what they're talking about but i will admit i'm wrong if someone knows for sure

#7 ·
Spend a little extra money and get the awd tranny in there. If you don't do it now you will do it after you eat up a few 5sfe trannys.

EDIT: If there is a fwd tranny ON there.... I wouldn't buy it. Someone has jimmy rigged that thing... there was no fwd 3sgte for the Celica.

#9 ·
i've seen 5sfe trans hold up with the 3sgte for as long as 3 years w/o a problem...im using the 5sfe tranny as well but im using an mr2 turbo flywheel and pressure plate...so that should help...

#11 ·
The motor had the regular gt-four tranny, just that a mechanic was giving me all this BS. I thought I was right when I told him that there was no such thing as a FWD turbo tranny, but he insisted there was, and he had done a swap with it. Well Im glad I havent done the swap yet, or Id be in some deep shit right now. Thanx for the info, and Im looking to do a swap maybe next summer after some cash is saved up.

I have been told that you can take the AWD, and modify the shaft that runs from the tranny to the transfer case, so that you can run the motor on the front wheels only. Has anyone done this, or have more knowledge on going about doing this. Thanx

#12 ·
(just my micanical insight, but no true experance with this.)

the output shaft on AWD transmitions that go to the rear end gear is not hooked up to a Dif. so having it disconeced dosent afect the front wheel poweroutput. infact the rear drive shaft is conected to the output shaft inside the trany. in the case of a Subaru or a porsche, the front of the output shaft links up to the dif insde the trany. and the rear of the shatf to the rear end gear.
im not shure how is all aranged in a Trans Axel but im shure its the same concept. not conecting a drive shaft to that output port is like having a normal single wheel set drive transmishon. in your case i would think you would have to plug up the output port with a drive shaft end. but thats alital scary if you ask me given the fact that theres nothing to hold it in other then a posible C clip on the end of it. but this is where my lack of experance kicks in and i wouldent know whats used to suport the shaft or anything to that afect.

(foot note: arangements of gears and position terms is subject to reversal in a porsche given the mottor is in the back and the trany is ahead of it. asume 911 964 C4)

#13 ·
TRDcelicaGTFOUR said:
The motor had the regular gt-four tranny, just that a mechanic was giving me all this BS. I thought I was right when I told him that there was no such thing as a FWD turbo tranny, but he insisted there was, and he had done a swap with it. Well Im glad I havent done the swap yet, or Id be in some deep shit right now. Thanx for the info, and Im looking to do a swap maybe next summer after some cash is saved up.

I have been told that you can take the AWD, and modify the shaft that runs from the tranny to the transfer case, so that you can run the motor on the front wheels only. Has anyone done this, or have more knowledge on going about doing this. Thanx
Why would you want FWD over AWD. I could see RWD over AWD.... but I'm not getting why you would want this?

#15 ·
i did a 3sgte swap and i'm currently using a 96 5sfe tranny. i use my car for racing purposes and i have not encountered any problems. i thing to remember, the stock clutch will not match up. you'll have to use the Flex Plate from the 3sgte tranny and the Clutch Disc from the 5sfe. the 5sfe Clutch Disc is small for 3sgte flywheel. i had a special clutch disc made by ClutchNet.com.

#16 ·
Your going to burn up that AWD tranny if you attempt to use it.

Your S-53 is going to be just fine. Buy some GM syncromesh (not redline) and you'll be shifting as good as new!

Ive been running mine for well over a year now with no probs.

#17 ·
ishcoleobo said:
Why would you want FWD over AWD. I could see RWD over AWD.... but I'm not getting why you would want this?
Like mentioned above, in order to get the AWD, lots of money needs to be spent. Plus more power is transfered to the pavement when only 2 wheels are driving. The car has to work twice as hard to try and turn 4 wheels rather than just two. If it was simple to do, I would just make it RWD instead of FWD, but thats the downfall when buying a celica. Either way, a JDM 3S-GTE(ST-185) is pushing around 225, its plenty to start with. Even on a FWD, works for me. My only concern was the "plugging up" of the tranny that was mentioned before. Ive heard of this being done, but not too sure of how to go about doing it properly, without worries. Thanx for everyones input. Sorry to whore out the thread with the long responses, but I just want to gather some serious info before even beggining to seriously consider the swap.

#18 ·
honestly dude.. get a MR2 5speed and find that Gizmo that converts it to a FWD Transaxle, its somthing in the shifting linkage at the trany.. ive seen it before.. use that... pull off the Alltrack Trany and keep it or, clean it up and or rebiuld it if u can, and sell it on E-Bay... that trany is a junkyard Dimond to some people..

#19 ·
oh... ya... (sory double post, bit it address's another aspect)

having 200 WHP means YOU HAVE 200 WHP. even if its at 4 wheels as apose to 2, and infact having it at 4 is better BC you can put more power to the ground and not have to wory about braking your tires lose until a higher RPM/HP. it is true tho that you will have a larger parasitic los off power threw a AWD system given the fact that there are more/longer moving parts. but in the end AWD will always beat out FWD off the line.

#21 ·
you can use the mr2 tranny by modifying the shift linkage...i could have used it on mine but i had trouble finding the half shaft for the mr2 and it costs around 600 brand new from toyota...

#22 ·
Zrain said:
oh... ya... (sory double post, bit it address's another aspect)

having 200 WHP means YOU HAVE 200 WHP. even if its at 4 wheels as apose to 2, and infact having it at 4 is better BC you can put more power to the ground and not have to wory about braking your tires lose until a higher RPM/HP. it is true tho that you will have a larger parasitic los off power threw a AWD system given the fact that there are more/longer moving parts. but in the end AWD will always beat out FWD off the line.
you loose more hp through the tranny with all wheel drive...if you take the same engine and put it in an all wheel drive and then a front wheel you will be making more whp with the front wheel drive...less traction but more whp becuz with all wheel drive you loose like i think 7-10 percent more hp through the tranny then with an ff car. i would not be surprised if the all wheel drive beat the ff but still technically the ff would have more whp. either way i agree all wheel drive is a good way to go

#23 ·
5SFE tranny= no good (seriosly that tranny will last a little while but lets think long term)

MR2 3sgte tranny will be perfect.....it was meant for the power and will bolt and work fine with FWD need a JDM ECU unless you know how the wirring can be done otherwise.

Or I have heard of the solara V-6 tranny will bolt up to the 3sgte, and no the 5sfe automatic with the 3sgte motor will not work (thats the only reason I have not done the swap yet the,3s never had a Automatic Tranny until you have reached the Caldina 3sgte with an auto trans that lays out 260HP but unless you get that motor the ecu in the ST203, ST204 and ST205 are Maunual trannies. Otherwise your Tourque Converter would just spin around nevr being able to put power the axles.

#24 ·
Kid, you are corect, there is more paristic lose threw and AWD transmition, but i would gladly pay that 7-10% more just to have %50+ more grip.. just BC you can put 200 down at the wheels dosent mean it will actualy go down to the ground.
::insert burnout pic hear::
also manual transaxles AWD or FWD have the lowest amount of power loss of any transmition type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.