Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Corolla Tuner
Corolla GT-S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, im at a loss for words here, the 3SGTE is just about the best engine i can find for the corolla without going into some purpose built drag car engine.....recently i bought a 4age 20v blacktop, and that sould bolt right into my GT-s with minimal mounting mods. but, ive also come across a 3SGTE for about 2,000 US. is this a good price? should i go for it? will it fit into a GT-s corolla? has annyone ever done this swap before? how do you like it? should i be happy with the blacktop? or am i just nitpicking here? tell me what you think.

·
Registered
1990 Corolla Sedan
89 Posts
Personally, I'd spend the cash on the Blacktop. Best bang for buck I reckon. SC12 that puppy and go hard!!!!!!!

In saying that, I don't know the laws for you guys, that seems to be a common mod over here, well, we do love a dirty snail on our Blacktops.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
well, im at a loss for words here, the 3SGTE is just about the best engine i can find for the corolla without going into some purpose built drag car engine.....recently i bought a 4age 20v blacktop, and that sould bolt right into my GT-s with minimal mounting mods. but, ive also come across a 3SGTE for about 2,000 US. is this a good price? should i go for it? will it fit into a GT-s corolla? has annyone ever done this swap before? how do you like it? should i be happy with the blacktop? or am i just nitpicking here? tell me what you think.
Over here in New Zealand they go for about $1500 NZD ($1000 USD) at the most, but since the availability of them in the US would be rather low in comparison, that price seems about right. As for the swap, it has been done on 7th Gen Corollas a few times in the past, so I imagine it would also be possible on a 6th Gen Corolla - Good luck with getting traction though ;).

My brother has a 98' Toyota Caldina GT-T with a factory installed 3S-GTE in it and it goes like a bat out of hell. They have a lot of tuning potential (they were actually originally tuned by Yamaha, and have the Yamaha brand name stamped onto the cam cover as a result) so I'd definitely recommend the engine, but it really depends on how much money you have to spend as there will be a lot more work involved compared to the 4A-GE. In my opinion, I'd stick with the 4A-GE BT for now, and if you find that it doesn't have enough power for your taste then add a turbo or go down the 4A-GZE or 3S-GTE route :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
cons. 20v bt
- parts
- NA = 130whp
- light internals (good or bad depending on which side your looking on)
pros 20v bt
- easy to mount
- high redline 8,400rpm
- very revy engine

cons 3sgte
- custom mounts
- hevyier engine
- torque steer

pros 3sgte
- good power
- awesomness

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
Not a great price. Chico Race Works sells an entire MR2 rear clip with 3SGTE for $2250 + shipping and a JDM gen2 3SGTE for $1450 + shipping. They are also pretty reputable. I see them going for $1000-1500 most of the time.

If you want power, there's no comparison between a 3SGTE and any 4A engine. It really depends on what your goals are.

Personally, 3SGTE is the only swap I'd consider for performance. Best bang for the buck by far.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
There have been plenty of AE92s that have had the 3S-GTE swap done, none have documented AFAIK. $2000 for a low mileage example, complete with ECU, LSD tranny and uncut wiring harnesses would be a decent deal. Not the best, but not the worst either.

Power potential is definitely in favour of the 3S-GTE. With proper tuning, it's not unreasonable to expect 400whp on stock internals.

OTOH, the 4AGE 20V is also a great engine, it really comes down to the question of whether you prefer boost or the sound of a high revving naturally aspirated powerplant.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
Just a little clarification: Yamaha designed the head but didn't do the tuning.
yeah, and they did the same thing on 4A-GEs... :p

·
Registered
Corolla & Avensis
723 Posts
A friend of mine did it to his (original 1300cc :lol:) Corolla AE101.
But if you do want to go down the 3S-GTE road...expect so heavy modifications.
My friend had to custom fabricate the engine mounts, do a lot more custom work and than there is all the wiring.
And please do keep in mind that the rest of the car has to be able to deal with the added power aswell.
You are defenatly going to need a different susspension and brakes ;)

·
Registered
Corolla & Avensis
723 Posts
Henow uses a fully adjustable coilover set (Don't know which brand)
And he fitted discbrakes on the rear and adapted a set of massive, I believe it were Alfa Romeo, 4 pod disc brakes. They bareley fit into the 17" rims! :D

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts

·
Corolla Tuner
Corolla GT-S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx

THANK YOU EVERYONE! all youre input made me decide to keep the black top, ive already removed the priginal engine and im installing a rollbar aswell:D heres what i hopefully plan to do as i have money to do it..... im going to go for the 4age with stock headers, catless headerback trust burnt tip with a ABS cold air to start, maybe if i can afford a turbo ill eventually want to go with that. im deff. going to harden the front end, and im deff. going to get coilovers and fabricated rear braces. i might go for aftermarket disk brakes, if annyone has a sugestion for brakes what ould it be? if annyone has more sugestions other then what i plan on plese tell me id love to know, thanx everyone for youre input! and BTW, i never have and never will put nitros into a car, i think its cheeting :lol:

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I would recommend that you go with Koni Yellow shocks and some good quality lowering springs, if this is a daily driver. Go with coil-overs only if you plan on autocross or track days.
Read below.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237485&highlight=k-sport

For brake upgrade, I suggest AE101 front disk and calipers, with Hawk brake pads. You will feel the difference.
Another possibility is '91-'92 GT-S front disks and calipers.
Read below.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242183&highlight=brake+upgrade

1 - 19 of 19 Posts