Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware of the 1MZ's leaky valve cover gasket which is caused by the valve cover bolts being too long/the holes being too short for them to actually reach the proper torque specs, the fix for this was to use two 5/16" washers from a hardware store or something similar for each bolt. Does the 3VZ-FE suffer from a similar issue with its bolts and crush washers?

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
Nope. Different design.

The 1MZ’s bolts are shoulder bolts. They require a low torque because once the shoulder bottoms out on the head, that’s all the compression it’s gonna put on the gasket.

The 3VZ’s don’t have shoulders. Just a rubber-backed washer that comes down on the valve cover.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oooh ok, do you know the actual name for those rubber washers that have the metal ring on them? When I first saw them on my engine I thought the perimeter material was some sort of really hard rubber but then I googled the part number and they're actually a metal ring with the rubber inside. Apparently those are non-reusable parts, but I don't have the FSM on my work computer to check right now though.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
835 Posts
I think that you are looking for 90902-02001, multilayer washer/rubber stack. They are about $3 each.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nah I know the part number, just dunno what the name actually is within toyota's EPC since the EPC I'm using just calls them STD (standard) part

The part number is actually 90210-07001, looks like it's just called 'washer, seal'

On a side note, have either of you guys or anyone else taken off the exhaust manifold heat insulator? Would it heat up the radiator if I took it off? Figured I'd remove it to gain better access to the oil filter.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
On a side note, have either of you guys or anyone else taken off the exhaust manifold heat insulator? Would it heat up the radiator if I took it off? Figured I'd remove it to gain better access to the oil filter.
No, I never felt the need. But I suppose it depends on what sort of filter wrench you use. I used either the big socket type with an extension, or a strap wrench. Both gave my hands good clearance from the exhaust manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts