Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace the Camry's oil pan gasket soon, and was wondering if there is anything else that ought to be checked or replaced while I'm in there? '92 LE with the 3VZ V6, 285k miles on it. The crank and camshaft seals were replaced recently, and the oil filter adaptor's as well. I noticed the pan leak when I was doing the adaptor seal.

I did a search and didn't find anything. Perhaps because there isn't?

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,522 Posts
I don't think I've had the privilege of working on a 3VZ, but if it's like the other Toy motors of similar vintage, you normally check the oil pickup screen, and maybe shopvac it out from the bottom to get any chunks that are clogging the screen. If it's *really* bad, it might be worth changing out the whole pickup, but, IMHO, it'd have to be really bad to do that. The pickup is usually attached to the oil pump at the other end...while you're in there, you might want to consider changing out the gasket at the connection, but that's pretty optional. If it were my rig, I'd probably do it -- beats trying to troubleshoot a low oil pressure issue if that gasket starts leaking. And, if you do that, you've got the opportunity to give the pickup and a good bath in paint thinner while you've got it pulled off the motor.

Always worth cleaning any sludge out of the oil pan, too, but that's kind of a no-brainer.

·
Registered
2020 Camry SE
1,534 Posts
Nothing else in that region to replace.

The valve cover gaskets and distributor o-ring also are known to leak. If you replace all those, and perhaps the oil adapter o-ring, then you shouldnt have any more leaking, because that would be all the seals....unless of course your rear main goes :(

·
Administrator
14,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.

Hill - Is it pretty obvious once I get in there how the pick up comes out? My Haynes manual doesn't give any details. Oh wait, they do show a picture of the 1MZ's pickup. Looks easy. I'll pick up a new gasket for it. Thx!

Skier - Yeah, I've replaced just about every engine seal and gasket I know about except the distributor and the rear crankshaft. I'll probably do the disty soon; there's a little weeping in that area. The rear main would be too much for me to tackle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts