Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't know why I'm starting a thread for a 3VZ, don't worry about it. You'll see later. PLEASE leave questions about it out of this thread. :thumbsup:

Anyways, I've been doing a crap ton of research today and reading the FSM for the 3VZ. I'm basically wondering what to replace when looking to eventually do a turbo build on a 3VZ at over 200,000 miles. So... GOAL: get this engine at 100% before attempting a boosted build. I know the head gaskets, water pump, and oil pan gasket are all a gimme at this mileage. But should I go with something over OEM spec gaskets?

I'm trying to think of anything else on the ENGINE. But I can't. Can you?

5-SPEED TRANNY: OEM flywheel and clutch or should I just go ahead and upgrade? That's all I can think of there.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I would go stock for the clutch for now while you learn to drive it and while you continue to upgrade the engine, but when you go for boost THEN I would upgrade clutch and flywheel. Only reason is because those are expensive to upgrade, and then just wear them down learning to drive.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: :wtf: Do want me to do a RWD 1MZ swap? That was a good read though. Did I miss something specific in that thread?

I would go stock for the clutch for now while you learn to drive it and while you continue to upgrade the engine, but when you go for boost THEN I would upgrade clutch and flywheel. Only reason is because those are expensive to upgrade, and then just wear them down learning to drive.
The money thing is appealing there. I may just milk every ounce I can out of the stock clutch I can, then upgrade. It still has some life left hopefully. I've driven 3 different manual tranny vehicles before, and I'm past the annoying learning curve. Does that change your opinion? :)

Am I missing anything on the engine?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Right, but every car drives differently. haha.

Well if you're doing boost, I would redo gaskets and seals. But while you are that far, I would also forged internals and bore and port and polish that bitch.

I would really just wait and see what all is up with it. Then when the clutch goes, THEN beef up everything. Just take the whole trans and engine out and make your life a whole lot easier.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ Well thats the plan. I figure I still have about 20k left before things go wrong.

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
^ Well thats the plan. I figure I still have about 20k left before things go wrong.
Before you go for hard things like turbo, remember that an ED bodykit gains you 200 extra horsepower, and a 747 wing is another 150 :D:lol:

In all seriousness though, that oil pan must be changed!. and we should pm Gabe about metal HG's once the small stuff is taken care of :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I've got a wing you can have haha. It's literally so big the trunk will NOT open. It came with my 94... :facepalm:

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This car is going to be either cleanly modded or a sleeper with just suspension and engine upgrades. After everything else is restored of course.

Am I forgetting anything? Where's our other good engine guys? :lol:

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
This car is going to be either cleanly modded or a sleeper with just suspension and engine upgrades. After everything else is restored of course.

Am I forgetting anything? Where's our other good engine guys? :lol:
Cody: In some chicks apartment in toronto, or on the way there
Tony, no clue
Adam, on msn right now :thumbsup:

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Tricky question man, Id say do what you have planned with the head gaskets and such then test the compression after break-in. f the compression is good on all cylinders that will let you know before anything else that the engine will put up and any amount of boost.

You have a long road ahead of you though :lol:

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tricky question man, Id say do what you have planned with the head gaskets and such then test the compression after break-in. f the compression is good on all cylinders that will let you know before anything else that the engine will put up and any amount of boost.

You have a long road ahead of you though :lol:
Noted. :thumbsup: I'm still at least a year out on this build.

well how much power are you trying to put down? a lot depends on that goal.
Well, stock internals are good for what? 350whp? I'd be plenty satisfied with 250-300 for starters. Lower is okay too.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Drop in some 8.5:1/9.0:1 pistons so you can actually boost it without blowing the F'g heads off.

Yea, current production turbos are getting the static the CR back up into the 10:5's and 11's but only with direct fuel injection, intercoolers, variable cam timing, and technology we can't afford, so dollar per dollar, if you have to re-slug it with new pistons, drop the compression ratio and you can add more boost sooner and have less detonation issues!

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drop in some 8.5:1/9.0:1 pistons so you can actually boost it without blowing the F'g heads off.

Yea, current production turbos are getting the static the CR back up into the 10:5's and 11's but only with direct fuel injection, intercoolers, variable cam timing, and technology we can't afford, so dollar per dollar, if you have to re-slug it with new pistons, drop the compression ratio and you can add more boost sooner and have less detonation issues!
Errrr, the stock pistons are good for up to 350whp. Replace them and everything else is good for 450whp. IIRC. Can anyone confirm? I need to talk to Cody.... if he wasn't so busy. :lol:

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
well first, the best boosting info ive found was on the MR2 boards. im not 100% about what the internals can handle. I believe its the crank in the 3vz that is stronger then the 1mz, but i may be wrong there. if your looking for only 250 to 300 then you just need to make sure you have a good tune going. there are a bunch of MR2 guys running turbos on stock motors with a good tuning system and proper fuel...and thats on stock compression. from what ive read in the past, internals dont really need to be upgraded till your looking for over 300whp, not that it cant help.

this is a site that sells upgraded, OEM parts.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

they dont have the 3vz listed but if you contact them they may be able to get it/fab it.

also...if you can, talk to tonythetiger. he can be hard to get in touch with, but knows more any anyone ive ever met.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will do. I'll also look around on auscam.org since they had the 3vz from 92-96. :)

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
well first, the best boosting info ive found was on the MR2 boards. im not 100% about what the internals can handle. I believe its the crank in the 3vz that is stronger then the 1mz, but i may be wrong there. if your looking for only 250 to 300 then you just need to make sure you have a good tune going. there are a bunch of MR2 guys running turbos on stock motors with a good tuning system and proper fuel...and thats on stock compression. from what ive read in the past, internals dont really need to be upgraded till your looking for over 300whp, not that it cant help.

this is a site that sells upgraded, OEM parts.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

they dont have the 3vz listed but if you contact them they may be able to get it/fab it.

also...if you can, talk to tonythetiger. he can be hard to get in touch with, but knows more any anyone ive ever met.
Toysrme quoted it at 350 whp before pistons start to melt, 450 on the rest
I'd probably swap the HG for a copper one, and pistons/rod for forged if I already had the block opened up.

Also, if you were to replace the hydraulic fan (I'm debating it, but my muscle-car-building buddy told me that hydraulic is the way to go :/
If that's so, we'd have to relocate the power-steering fluid cooler to fit intercoolers...

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do we honestly need a power steering fluid cooler? Honestly, I think that's something that can be dealt with later though. I'm more concerned about the NOW.

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Do we honestly need a power steering fluid cooler? Honestly, I think that's something that can be dealt with later though. I'm more concerned about the NOW.
you do if you plan on running the hydraulic fan off the same line :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts