Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know of any motors that i can use to replace my 3.0? i bought the truck with a blown motor extremely cheap, thinking just change the motor and i would have a great truck. the problem is around here they are extremely hard to find. after calling about 25 salvage yards(im not exaggerating) i found 1 that had 200,000 plus miles for $1,600.00. where i live the average motor sells for $300.00 to $400.00. i dont care if it is a 4 or 6 cylinder just something that is cheap, easy to find, and fairly easy to install. the truck i have is a 1992 extended cab 4wd with an automatic transmission. thanx

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
if you can take the intake parts from the engine in there now i think you can swap them to a camry engine ..... i'm not too sure on this but they are on ebay for around 700 with 200 shipping

also you can see how much you can get a 22re and the tranny for. dont think the mounts will line up so you have to get those redone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so a camry engine is the same engine except for the intake? i seen they had the same name (3vze), but i didnt know because it was a front wheel drive car. one of the salvage yards said they sold camry motors for $250.00. can i make the older 3.0 toyotas work if i have to? i was told anything before 5/92 wouldnt work. thanks again

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
The Camry is a 3VZ-FE not a 3VZ-E and has 4 valve heads. Since the heads are different, your intake won't fit. The camry intake won't work as it points the throttle body right at the firewall. There are some people attempting to make a hybrid of the two using the 3VZE block and pistons, heads from the 3VZFE, and the intake from the 5VZ. I think the block is different as it mounts traversly so there may be motor mount/tranny bolt pattern issues or they would have just done a swap instead of using the truck block.
For 1600, you should be able to rebuild your engine and start fresh. I can buy a fresh long block for that much here in CA and it's typically much more expensive here than anywhere else in the country.
A 5VZ will swap in, but isn't exactly a straight bolt in affair.
At local yards here, the 3VZ goes for around 1K to 1.2K
The 22R is totally different and requires a different tranny.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
^yes the 5vz will bolt to the 3vz tranny, but that's about the end of the straight bolt in scenario. I just did it. Not as easy as it sounds. Not terrible hard, but not super simple. And you need about a 2" body lift or a scoop on your hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts