Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks-
'Just recently discovered that I'm in for a top end rebuild on my '92 V6.(90 psi comp. in cyl 2 and 5psi in cyl 3, carbon fouling on the respective plugs) The estimates that I've gotten for having someone else do all the work are way over the top.($2800). Ditto for a "used engine", installed as well for other combos of used, rebuilt and so on.($4000+).
So it looks like the only way that this repair is going to happen for me is to do most of the work myself. As far as I know the bottom end is in fine shape and my only problem is some burnt valves. I plan to pull the heads, have them worked at a local machine shop, and reinstall them myself. Of course I'll replace the timing belt while I'm at it.
This all sounds pretty simple but I'm wondering firstly is it worth doing only a top end on a V6 with 181,000 mi on it? Will I cause new problems? Just how difficult and positively miserable is this job for your average home mechanic?
Anyone who's been through this or has an opinion anyway could be very helpful to me. I welcome and appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks- MF

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just finished doing the same job. The hardest part, in my opinion, was the damned crossover pipe, make sure that you drop the transmission crossmember so that you can get a good bite on the cross over bolts.
The cost for parts and machine work was still close to $1,000.00. and several long weekends. If I had to do it again I would not go with the cheap headgaskets but the toyota gaskets. The best prices that I found for original toyota parts was the site recomended on this site, I think it is First toyota parts.com.

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy Folks-
'Just recently discovered that I'm in for a top end rebuild on my '92 V6.(90 psi comp. in cyl 2 and 5psi in cyl 3, carbon fouling on the respective plugs) The estimates that I've gotten for having someone else do all the work are way over the top.($2800). Ditto for a "used engine", installed as well for other combos of used, rebuilt and so on.($4000+).
So it looks like the only way that this repair is going to happen for me is to do most of the work myself. As far as I know the bottom end is in fine shape and my only problem is some burnt valves. I plan to pull the heads, have them worked at a local machine shop, and reinstall them myself. Of course I'll replace the timing belt while I'm at it.
This all sounds pretty simple but I'm wondering firstly is it worth doing only a top end on a V6 with 181,000 mi on it? Will I cause new problems? Just how difficult and positively miserable is this job for your average home mechanic?
Anyone who's been through this or has an opinion anyway could be very helpful to me. I welcome and appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks- MF
My self I would not do the top end unless the entire engine was gone through build the top end then I believe the bottom will go soon after. Don't take my word but thats how I think it would go. How is everything on the rest of the car is it tight. If everything is kept I believe a rebuild is cheaper than buying a new car or one you know little about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts