Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
gsus
1991 Toyota MR2
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I’m trying to decide on what engine I would want to swap in my n/a 91 Toyota mr2 (which is currently equipped with a 5s-fe). Sure there is always the fun turbo 3sgte, but the low end torqueyness of a v6 just appeals to me as well as the uniqueness of it (in an mr2). I’m not looking for a monster since the mr2 is pretty much my daily driver in spring/summer/fall. I would eventually love to get around 230-250rwhp, but I’ll be staying n/a for a while after the swap is done....

Any input on any of these engines would be greatly appreciated.

Which of these two engines would be best for my power goal?
Which would cost more to get to my power goal?
How well do these engines accept boost? Or can I reach my goal in n/a form?
What are common problems for each of these engines?
What are the pros/cons to these engines (I founds some in the archives, but are there any other pros/cons)?

from archive
Jzs147-RR said:
3vzfe
-Pros-
Strong cylinders (600hp+)
Strong crank (600hp+)
Strong rods (400hp+)
-Cons-
Weak pistons
Heavy block
Bad head design
Stock injectors are 200cc

1mzfe
-Pros-
Strong crank (600hp+)
Strong sleeves (450hp+)
Bigger injectors stock 270cc
Almost 100lbs lighter then the 3vzfe
Head good for major flow and porting
-Cons-
Weak rods
Weak pistons
Some models have a return-less fuel system
Stock head bolts suck
My pros/cons
3vz-fe
-Pros-
Should be cheaper in price? Maybe I’m wrong
Easier wiring into the mr2
Iron block… should handle a little bit of boost

-Cons-
Difficult to find manual ecu/engine/wiring harness
No bolt on boost applications available
Less information for this swap
Older engine, most used engines will have high miles
Not sure what tranny’s will work with the engine (same as 1mz)
Head gasket problems? (3vz-e's are more prone than the 3vz-fe's)

1mz-fe
-Pros-
Newer engine, easier to find with low miles
TRD S/C available
MR2 turbo transmission will bolt right on

-Cons-
Difficult to find manual ecu/engine/wiring harness
More expensive
More wiring & tricking of the obd2 system
Obd2 evap system

TIA

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
i say 1mz-fze

you can get stronger rods from the 22r,
there are pistons somewhere.
alumium block makes it lighter than the 3vz
ummm notice i put a z in the engine code?
you can trick the ecu in to not reading the auto tranny and be fine ekam did
the mr2 tranny bolts to the 3vz as well tho,
the 3vz head gasket problem was mainly with the 3vz-e not the 3vz-fe
the 3vz-fe was only produced for 3 years
the the returnless system problem can be fixed by changing the rails to the 94-96 system or using a aftermarket FPR

personly i think it's a awsome job but if you want like 600+ i say the 3s-gte

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
All motor 3vz-fe :cool:

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
all motor 3vz is my vote as well, or at least it wouldve if you didnt have the 3sgte there. the 3s gte is quicker in stock form and has many more off the shelf parts for it.

·
gsus
1991 Toyota MR2
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chronoti said:
i say 1mz-fze

you can get stronger rods from the 22r,
there are pistons somewhere.
alumium block makes it lighter than the 3vz
ummm notice i put a z in the engine code?
you can trick the ecu in to not reading the auto tranny and be fine ekam did
the mr2 tranny bolts to the 3vz as well tho,
the 3vz head gasket problem was mainly with the 3vz-e not the 3vz-fe
the 3vz-fe was only produced for 3 years
the the returnless system problem can be fixed by changing the rails to the 94-96 system or using a aftermarket FPR

personly i think it's a awsome job but if you want like 600+ i say the 3s-gte
thanks for the reply & info... as stated, I definitely don’t need a monster, just a nicely powered mr2 :). By mentioning the pistons are you implying that I have to build the motor for 230-250rwhp? I’ve also read that you can trick the ecu... I just haven't across on how to do that. Glad to hear that the turbo tranny will fit the block, although I read you have to tap in your own mounting holes for the tranny bolts :confused:. It’s also great to hear that the 3vzfe is not the one with the head gasket issues. That’s one less thing for me to worry about as far as the 3vzfe.

Luckynumber5 said:
I’m a current member there & mr2oc.com, I posted here because there is a greater amount of you guys & hoped to get a bit of a bigger response here.

BlueFusion6851 said:
All motor 3vz-fe :cool:
Thanks for the reply, but a little more info onto your response would be greatly appreciated. How much power can an all motor 3vzfe offer me? And how much would that cost compare to that of a boosted 3vzfe?

terrastrife said:
all motor 3vz is my vote as well, or at least it wouldve if you didnt have the 3sgte there. the 3s gte is quicker in stock form and has many more off the shelf parts for it.
Sure I could take the easy way out with the 3sgte, and call it a day. But the v6 just seems to be calling my name. I’m not really looking to race my car… maybe go to the strip once or twice after the swap, but nothing more. Its my daily car as stated before… I think the v6 will suit me just fine. It’ll be nice to give it a little gas and have the car start going without having to take the engine all the way to redline (well its more like 5krpm’s) like I have to with my 5s.

What would it take to get the 3vzfe/1mzfe to atleast 230rwhp?
Are there not that many people that have hit these power marks?

·
Registered
1994 Camry LE
141 Posts
if you looking to boost your engine then i vote for the 3s since it's easier to get aftermarket parts for it plus i'm sure later on you are going to up the boost on it.

if you go with either of the v6 engines here is a helpful website http://www.car-part.com/. good luck

·
gsus
1991 Toyota MR2
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MDogg2199 said:
if you looking to boost your engine then i vote for the 3s since it's easier to get aftermarket parts for it plus i'm sure later on you are going to up the boost on it.

if you go with either of the v6 engines here is a helpful website http://www.car-part.com/. good luck
yes... the boost bug. i've never owned a turbo car before, but i've heard of this sickness :disappoin. you bring up a good point, but i guess i just got my mind set on the v6 swap right now (just not sure which yet...). although the 3s will be my last resort if the v6 plan falls through. my original plan was to go with the 1mz with the trd s/c, but then toysrme (on the mr2 board) said that the 1mz is crap, and that one would be better off witht he 3vz (or atleast that's the way i read it). then i also read that a 1mz with the trd s/c will only last a year. that's when i started looking into the 3vz swap.. but now i'm stumped.

thanks for the website btw, i'll definately be using that site when it comes time to gather the parts for the swap.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
heyzeus2003 said:
What would it take to get the 3vzfe/1mzfe to atleast 230rwhp?
Are there not that many people that have hit these power marks?
well i guess we be working off a 97 1mz so 194 stock, trd super charger gives it to 276hp crank .... so about that.

3vz requres more work, so 94 3vz 189 (thats what i found) so port polish the heads, custom cams and higher cr and you should be closer to that point. or turbo.

·
Registered
1994 Camry LE
141 Posts
oh btw I read somewhere that trd has discontinuned the gen4 supercharger....maybe some one else can shed light on this, but if it is true then your used s/c might not last as long as you expect.

not positive about this

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
MDogg2199 said:
oh btw I read somewhere that trd has discontinuned the gen4 supercharger....maybe some one else can shed light on this, but if it is true then your used s/c might not last as long as you expect.

not positive about this
you are correct! there are still some new ones sitting in boxes in some shops around the states so he doesnt have to go used some places still might have them in stock.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
I don't think brandon has ever disliked the MZ's. What he has never been able to stand was Toyota's 3.0L TRD charger, and how Toyota used it.

1992-1993 3vz-fe's have 185bhp @ 5200rpm, 195lb-ft @ 4600rpm.

1994+ 3vz-fe's have 200bhp @ 5200rpm, 204lb-ft @ 4600rpm

You can turn a 92-93 3vz-fe into a 200bhp one nearly for free.

The 3vz-fe is also a lot stronger, and easier to work with engine.

The 1mz-fe was sold for 7 years. The 3vz-fe was sold for 5 1/2 in other parts of the world. Most 3vz-fe's are also going to be low mileage JDM imports in better condition than older 1mz-fe's.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,667 Posts
UfoZ said:
Either a built 3SGTE or a TRD S/Ced 1MZ.
A 1mz with a TRD supercharger, 6-7lb pulley, good headers/exhaust should get you really close to your goal. A buddy of mine put down 220whp with all those parts, some tuning and ported heads. With a manual tranny, you can put down 230whp without opening a 1mz.

An auto ECU can be fooled by putting resistors in place of the auto tranny shift solenoids.

The 3vz and 1mz both completely bolt up to the turbo (or even your stock) tranny. No worries there other than possibly a custom clutch disk...

I would go with the lighter 1mz. Your power goals aren't to much for the stock motor...

-Charlie

·
Registered
36 Posts
3SGTE vs. 1MZFE

You may say the 3SGTE has more horsepower than the 1MZFE, well DUH! it has a turbo already! the Lexus SC300 1MZFE has 210hp N/A!!!! that thing will beat down ANY 3SGTE once you turbo it like the 3SGTE.... and its lighter, which is also a plus....

Im looking to do the swap myself into my celica... i take the mounts from the camry 1MZ, and bolt them right up to my car, and then the trans from the avalon, and the transaxl from the turbo MR2, the clutch from a 3SGTE, and im set...... There are a few write ups on it, but never as much info as i need.....

So i say go with the 1MZ, its wayyyy better than the 3S, the 3VZ, or the 5S like i have....

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ well, first off, the sc200 doesn't have a 1mz...

and the engine mounts don't just bolt up to the celica....but it shouldn't be too too hard either...

but hte main thing is that you're replying to a thread from 2006 :hammer: lol

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
You may say the 3SGTE has more horsepower than the 1MZFE, well DUH! it has a turbo already! the Lexus SC300 1MZFE has 210hp N/A!!!! that thing will beat down ANY 3SGTE once you turbo it like the 3SGTE.... and its lighter, which is also a plus....

Im looking to do the swap myself into my celica... i take the mounts from the camry 1MZ, and bolt them right up to my car, and then the trans from the avalon, and the transaxl from the turbo MR2, the clutch from a 3SGTE, and im set...... There are a few write ups on it, but never as much info as i need.....

So i say go with the 1MZ, its wayyyy better than the 3S, the 3VZ, or the 5S like i have....

:hammer:

·
Registered
36 Posts
^ well, first off, the sc200 doesn't have a 1mz...

and the engine mounts don't just bolt up to the celica....but it shouldn't be too too hard either...

but hte main thing is that you're replying to a thread from 2006 :hammer: lol
Well im researching for my project, and I found this...

and what your saying contradicts another member on here...

07-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Deep
^

Trader Rating: (0)

I've been watching this guy for over a year now, back when he was still collecting parts. I contemplated the same, I mean the mounts for the V6 Camry will bolt right up to the Celi and the 1MZ or 3VZ motor, as will the MR2 Turbo or V6 Camry/Solara tranny. The hardest part would be wiring, but finding a complete harness and ecu isn't all that hard.

But much respect to this man.

See... i copied it and printed it out, from this exact site....

·
Registered
03 Toyota Highlander
1,672 Posts
^ First thing, the SC 300 has a 2JZ-GE

Second, I doubt it will "bolt right up" in a Celica, some forms of minor modifications probably needed. If you haven't seen the 3VZ/1MZ compared to the 5S in a Camry, then go check it out. The V6 is a much bigger engine physical size wise. The Celica was only made for 5S or 3S 4cyl engines, so I doubt the V6's can be put in without some minor cutting. The mounts might match, the engine bay might not. And the driveshafts too.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Look for posts over on Celicatech by Adrian Avgerinos, and I can say for certain you will have a fair amount of engine mount work to do.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.