Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I had this leak that I could not tell where it was comming from for months now. I droped it off today for the second time to have it looked at (Different dealer) Its coming from the "timing chain tensioner area" he said there was a bunch of 4.0's that had this happen to them. Though I have not seen any here in this forum :confused: I have 22k on the tacoma. That toyota platnum from Troy is sounding good right about now. Im glad I have the 3 year 36k still on the truck.

I was installing some fog light last week and I saw oil all over the pan and cross member. i was like ok that too much of a leak for me to deal with.

Here is what my truck looked like when I saw it at 3:00pm :eek:

Not my actual picture but you get the idea of whats apart.

god I hope the master tech remembers how it all goes back together :lol:

·
Certified Imposter
4X4 DC Sport, SB
1,408 Posts
:eek:

Holy crap!

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah me too.... At least its in a good service departments hands.

Does anyone know how long they waranty this work ? I still have something like 1 year 14k miles of factory waranty on the truck.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
dangg... well as long as it wasnt anything too serious like the timing belt tensioner itself going bad, i guess i wouldnt be too woried about it, but i would be kinda pissed if my truck with less than 30,000 miles had a oil leak. i have been thinkin about gettin that warranty, but with all the mods i have on my truck, they would probably just laugh at me, and i usually dont have the time and money to argue with them.

·
Don't be stupid you moron
2007 Tacoma DC 4x4
133 Posts
most dealerships do one year/12000 miles on parts/labor

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dangg... well as long as it wasnt anything too serious like the timing belt tensioner itself going bad, i guess i wouldnt be too woried about it, but i would be kinda pissed if my truck with less than 30,000 miles had a oil leak. i have been thinkin about gettin that warranty, but with all the mods i have on my truck, they would probably just laugh at me, and i usually dont have the time and money to argue with them.

It does kinda suck. I will have to make sure nothing leaks after there done. I warned the mechanic Im kind of a pain in the ass. I told him its my first new vehicle. I just want everything back the way it was ;) not too much to ask right?

most dealerships do one year/12000 miles on parts/labor
I guess I should ask them huh ? they gave me an 08 corola to drive in the mean time :rolleyes: I look like that guy from the adams family in that little car. Im 6'3" 250lbs.

I like this dealer and regret not buying my truck from them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Lotus,
Keep kissing the techs ass as much as possible. Once they are done go over it with a fine tooth comb. If it's right maybe kick the tech a 12-pack as a thank you for putting up with a tough customer. They will remember you in the future should something else come up. If it's not right stay calm but do not take the truck out of the shop. Leave it until it's right.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lotus,
Keep kissing the techs ass as much as possible. Once they are done go over it with a fine tooth comb. If it's right maybe kick the tech a 12-pack as a thank you for putting up with a tough customer. They will remember you in the future should something else come up. If it's not right stay calm but do not take the truck out of the shop. Leave it until it's right.
Hell yeah I planned on this anyways. I was thinkin dunkin donuts. hell I may do both. :thumbup:

·
Registered
05 Toyota Tacoma SR5
401 Posts
I have not seen my truck in 2 weeks....
The dealer has had it and now a tech from toyota is coming in to look at it to see what is wrong with my transfer case....I lost 4x4 and the light on the dash just keeps blinking.
At first they thought it was just another customer that did not know how to shift until I took their head mechanic for a test drive. They have replaced the actuator and still no 4x4. Now I might be getting a new Transfer Case???
They have replaced the battery, broken mud flaps, windsheild seal, glovebox shock, clutch pedal bushings,
I too have been waiting to see if I can read where anyone else has had a similar problem?

David

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Hell yeah I planned on this anyways. I was thinkin dunkin donuts. hell I may do both. :thumbup:
Best of luck!

Do any of you ever get any kind of "customer satisfaction surveys" or such? I have never, but I'd sure like to, as I'm happy with my "stealership" - never had probs and would like to point that out to Yota Canada as to why I might be a repeat customer.

Hope yours works out too, and LOL at the image of 6'3" in a Corolla - seen your pic on this forum in previous posts. Bust a gut at that one!:lol:

Regards

·
Owner of much Obsolete
1986 Corolla GT-S
2,286 Posts
Not sure about the USA, but there is a TSB for this leak on the 4.0L. We've done a couple at work now.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
I have not seen my truck in 2 weeks....
The dealer has had it and now a tech from toyota is coming in to look at it to see what is wrong with my transfer case....I lost 4x4 and the light on the dash just keeps blinking.
At first they thought it was just another customer that did not know how to shift until I took their head mechanic for a test drive. They have replaced the actuator and still no 4x4. Now I might be getting a new Transfer Case???
They have replaced the battery, broken mud flaps, windsheild seal, glovebox shock, clutch pedal bushings,
I too have been waiting to see if I can read where anyone else has had a similar problem?

David

Nice sliders... where'd you pick them up?

edit:

Had to do this same thing on my 84 celica a few years back (2001 to be exact). It had 186K on it at the time. The guides were toasted, I took the valve cover off and say the guides... Put the cover back on and took it to the shop. I didn't have the knowledge or experience at the time to do it myself and couldn't be without a car for very long, so to the shop it went. Cost me a bloody fortune but it was worth it. I've got 226K on it now and it's running good. It's got other problems but that's a different thread for a different sub forum.

The point is while it's hard to see you care like that, it will be better soon.

·
Registered
05 Toyota Tacoma SR5
401 Posts
They are Demello Sliders, bolt on...
Thanks
I just want my truck back!!!
The Dealer was impressed that I actually use my truck for what it was built for.
David

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Best of luck!

Do any of you ever get any kind of "customer satisfaction surveys" or such? I have never, but I'd sure like to, as I'm happy with my "stealership" - never had probs and would like to point that out to Yota Canada as to why I might be a repeat customer.

Hope yours works out too, and LOL at the image of 6'3" in a Corolla - seen your pic on this forum in previous posts. Bust a gut at that one!:lol:

Regards

I do fill them out. I have told them so many times that I regret no buying from them ect.. I praise them every time im there.

Not sure about the USA, but there is a TSB for this leak on the 4.0L. We've done a couple at work now.
Intresting. I guess no TSB is needed is its under waranty right ? If theres a leak then it should be stoped. Do you have a copy by chance or know the TSB#?

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
The oil leak on the GR-FE motor that requires removal of the timing chain cover is do to a F-- up in the factory FIPG (silicone) at the point where the head, block and the timing chain cover all meet together, it looks like it comes out from behind the powersteering pump. There is also a TSB on the repair. As for the Avalon owners, well you have to drop the motor, transmission, and the subframe all in one session to reseal the cover. Its actually not that bad. And it will be better sealed than when it came out of the factory. I wouldnt sweat it.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The oil leak on the GR-FE motor that requires removal of the timing chain cover is do to a F-- up in the factory FIPG (silicone) at the point where the head, block and the timing chain cover all meet together, it looks like it comes out from behind the powersteering pump. There is also a TSB on the repair. As for the Avalon owners, well you have to drop the motor, transmission, and the subframe all in one session to reseal the cover. Its actually not that bad. And it will be better sealed than when it came out of the factory. I wouldnt sweat it.
Thanks man Intresting info. I could see that the tech was busy and I hate to be bothered when Im working. Now I dont have to pick his brain tomorrow. I can just drop off the donuts for them.

·
Registered
05 Toyota Tacoma SR5
401 Posts
I do fill them out. I have told them so many times that I regret no buying from them ect.. I praise them every time im there.

Intresting. I guess no TSB is needed is its under waranty right ? If theres a leak then it should be stoped. Do you have a copy by chance or know the TSB#?

thanks
How long till you get your truck back and did the offer you a vehicle to drive while they are working on yours???
David

1 - 20 of 36 Posts